Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,952 times

Advertisements

The education will be what you make of it in either place,the only problem with Jefferson County is that you may move to where you think the school is good and pay high property tax and have your child bussed across town to a low performing school thats not your choice.I feel this makes Oldham county the best choice because you get what your tax pays for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,513 times
Default I have had experience with both.

I grew up in the south end and attended public schools. I did well, even though my parents weren't involved. As a parent myself of four, I was very involved (maybe too much). My kids excelled in JCPS. I thought they were set. My daughter was ordered special curriculums for higher grades because she was so advanced, or so they said. She had perfect grades and I had teachers actually tell me "she's perfect". She won every award they offered. She won small awards from U of L. Then, the bottom dropped out when we moved to oldham county when she started middle school and attended North Oldham Middle (at the time). She was behind in math and science! Although she was supposedly doing work much higher than her grades while attending JCPS, she was behind. Tell me why? She struggled the rest of her high school career and was still behind in math when she entered college. You can't tell me that she leaves one grade from one district with straight A's, to another district and doesn't have a clue of what's going on, that the schools are equal! My third child, son, scored a perfect 100 on the advance placement test for JCPS, sailed thru middle school in the AP program without even having to study, then went to a private school for high school, and has had to work his butt off, and still can only pull a C in English. Bottom line, JCPS sucks! Don't know how else to put it. It doesn't matter how involved you are as a parent you can't change the whole district and that's what it needs!

Old 01-11-2011, 05:31 PM

59 posts, read 210,247 times
Default Jscp suck

I show up here once in awhile to check all this BS about JCPS System. The school sytem ranks 136 out of 149 school districts in the state, not my facts, just the facts! I challenge any parent to visit schooldigger.com. Also check the worst schools of course Jefferson County leads the top 12. Again, I'm not from Jefferson County, but I will also tell you the schools where I grew up suck just as bad. So don't sit here and blow smoke up these folk's butt about how good Jefferson County can be, there not and its just the hard facts. Don't throw in private schools as this is not the talking points. How much money did we spend sending a consulting firm from LA to tell us we are blanked up. What a joke, someone from LA trying to tell us what we need to do!! The best day of my life will be the day I get my children out of this hell hole. I just don't know why anyone would consider JCPS if they have a choice. stay out and run as far as you can!!!!!!

Old 11-25-2011, 08:30 AM

65 posts, read 133,597 times
wmac62- thanks for the one bit of honesty on this topic. All of the others AVOID mentioning that 'bussing,' and 'balanced' means code words: i.e., [lower IQ] NON-WHITES are brought into areas they don't belong, all in order to drag down the potential of the superior IQ Whites (avg. White IQ 100- avg. Black IQ 85) who might wish to have a real education, but can't, because of others 'dragging them down.'

We've had the head of Head Start say that program was a FAILURE. We have heads of countries like Britain, France, and Germany tell us 'multiculturalism' is a FAILURE, and we have the ULTIMATE FAIL in our Mulatto Muslim in charge, while the USA sinks down the drain, and we have to be 'afraid' to say that what our parents and grandparents knew in 1954, and 1965 was ALL TRUE?

As a Doctorate-holding individual involved in education all his life, I finally woke up and shook off the massive amounts of 'Bolshevik Propaganda' about five years ago. If anyone cares to read two authors about the desire on the part of 'certain elites' to make DUMBED-DOWN DRONES of ALL students, I would suggest Charlotte Iserbyt's 'The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America.'

You'll never see things in the same way again. And you might actually start calling for the repeal of laws that mandate false egalitarian schemes like bussing and 'forced integration' (Section 8, etc.) in your neighborhood, city, county, and state.

Last edited by Peter1948; 11-26-2011 at 01:01 AM.. Reason: hate propaganda

Old 11-25-2011, 08:31 AM

65 posts, read 133,597 times
Oops. forgot the other author. John Taylor Gatto. Sorry.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:34 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,299,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr. John View Post
wmac62- thanks for the one bit of honesty on this topic. All of the others AVOID mentioning that 'bussing,' and 'balanced' means code words: i.e., [lower IQ] NON-WHITES are brought into areas they don't belong, all in order to drag down the potential of the superior IQ Whites (avg. White IQ 100- avg. Black IQ 85) who might wish to have a real education, but can't, because of others 'dragging them down.'

We've had the head of Head Start say that program was a FAILURE. We have heads of countries like Britain, France, and Germany tell us 'multiculturalism' is a FAILURE, and we have the ULTIMATE FAIL in our Mulatto Muslim in charge, while the USA sinks down the drain, and we have to be 'afraid' to say that what our parents and grandparents knew in 1954, and 1965 was ALL TRUE?

As a Doctorate-holding individual involved in education all his life, I finally woke up and shook off the massive amounts of 'Bolshevik Propaganda' about five years ago. If anyone cares to read two authors about the desire on the part of 'certain elites' to make DUMBED-DOWN DRONES of ALL students, I would suggest Charlotte Iserbyt's 'The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America.'

You'll never see things in the same way again. And you might actually start calling for the repeal of laws that mandate false egalitarian schemes like bussing and 'forced integration' (Section 8, etc.) in your neighborhood, city, county, and state.
Fr. John,
At least you are fun to read. And also proof that education and knowledge often don't equate to intelligence. What nutjob online outfit did you get your so-called doctorate from?

Old 01-05-2012, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,995 times
]i went to wag high for 3 years moved back to oc when busing started. Now my grandkids go to oc schools. We will not send kids to school were they are sent across the county to go to school daily. Oc is the way to go if you want college for your kids. If you are rich you can send to private schools. My grandkids are in a single parent family with mother making all bills herself. One of the kids have emotional problems and needs one on one. Quess what oc has all the qualifications and provides. So education and and college is your concern oc is the way to go........1978 graduate

Old 06-27-2012, 09:52 PM

4 posts, read 6,941 times
We've done both JCPS and OCPS. Guess what? You're not getting any better education at one over the other. In fact, I'd say JCPS has more offerings and accelerated programs than OCPS. And, guess what else? Oldham County has some of the meanest white girls your kids will ever come across. And many boys that lack any manners, treat girls like pieces of meat, and try to act urban, which is just ridiculous. And we're not talking high school here, folks. We live in a very nice area of OC and we moved where we did to get away from JCPS "cluster" bologna. If your girls love gymnastics, boys, drinking, and wearing shorts up their rear ends while parading around in front of the boys....and if your boys like football, baseball, and acting "urban" and have a country meets city way about themselves, it may be just perfect. Again, not even talking high school here.

Ask alot of questions about the curriculum at OC also. For example, foreign language is not offered in the curriculum in lower school. The school may not even have science EVERY year. Some, if not all, do not have science fairs. And the schools have ALOT of parent involvement which can make things rather dice-y when status' start competing for "fairness" at school with other kids and teachers. And don't forget....chances are your kids are going to school with the kids in their neighborhood. That may seem great when they're 6 or 7, but not so much when they're older and competing over boys/girls, sports, friends...etc. The bus rides can be VERY hard on "picked out" kids. Lots of bullies running around the OC schools and the counselors are no help. Plus, drug issues have skyrocketed in Oldham County.

The two complaints about JCPS....clusters, therefore uncertainty and potential long bus rides for students AND alot of kids who have behavior issues/emotional problems. Again, saw plenty of that with OC, just on a different level.

End of story...go private, if you can. Or homeschool. Nothing is perfect but at least with private, your kids aren't dealing with the violent undertones of JCPS classrooms or the locked-in feeling of "having" to be in Oldham County.

Take good care of your kids. Being schooled is more than a babysitter club.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:00 PM

4 posts, read 6,941 times
What you've identified is the difference in approach between JCPS and OC. Trust me, OC isn't doing anything impressive in comparison. They just use a different approach, especially in MATH. Both approaches suck. And most often, the quality of those teaching it isn't there either because these programs change every couple of years...which, by the way, also throws kids for a loop in addition to the teachers trying to stay on top of it all. It's all stupid. It's all about meeting "standards" for MONEY. Outside of those standards payouts from the government, each child is worth a certain amount of money per minute. Did you know that?

Old 06-30-2012, 05:11 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,664,610 times
You don't find people manipulating a child's home address to get into JCPS.

My Wife and I have lived all over the country, and she has been an educator for a while.
We settled in Louisville in part by the position offered to her in the Oldham County School District.

It is simply one of the best school systems in the country, not just KY.
For teacher or student, there is no comparison between the districts, overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area