Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2008, 05:33 PM

54 posts, read 304,621 times

Advertisements

I'm a teacher in NYC. My husband and I are tired of the NYC life and are considering moving to southern Louisiana, most likely Baton Rouge or areas around there.

What school districts are best for teaching in? Should I apply for LA State Cert first and then apply with the districts?

I have my elementary certification and also a masters degree in ESL.

ANY advice/information would be appreciated...thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 01:22 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,478,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger81 View Post
I'm a teacher in NYC. My husband and I are tired of the NYC life and are considering moving to southern Louisiana, most likely Baton Rouge or areas around there.

What school districts are best for teaching in? Should I apply for LA State Cert first and then apply with the districts?

I have my elementary certification and also a masters degree in ESL.

ANY advice/information would be appreciated...thanks!
Livingston and Ascension Parish schools are supposed to have a good reputation, and those areas are growing. Within EBR Parish, there is Zachary and/or Central. What's left of the EBR system has all kinds of problems, and there was an article in the paper today about the state taking over more EBR schools. 2theadvocate.com | News | Still struggling — Baton Rouge, LA

Old 12-21-2008, 05:49 PM

97 posts, read 286,158 times
I think Livingston Parish would be a good choice.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:44 AM

794 posts, read 3,364,899 times
Are you sure that's what you want to do? Are you already familiar with south Louisiana in some form? I'm just wondering why the huge jump from NYC to Louisiana... There are some decent school districts down here, but I'd try smaller town. The public city schools in BTR and NOLA are generally horrible. Ascension, Livingston, Zachary, Central and W. Feliciana are good school districts around here. The town of Brusly itself (in WBR) also has good schools.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:18 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,421,922 times
I agree with Daryl. The culture shock alone of moving from NYC to southern LA would be enough for most to retreat from the idea.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:09 PM

54 posts, read 304,621 times
Thank you all for the replies so far.

I'm not originally from NYC. I've only lived here since mid-2005. It's too big, too crowded, too cold. The area I grew up in had less than 200K people.
I wouldn't say I'm familiar with the area but I have several good friends that live down there so it's not totally foreign. Yes, there will be culture shock but I had that here too. We haven't totally decided what to do yet; it's not a decision we are making lightly and wherever we do end up, we will rent for at least a year to get a feel for the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana