Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2008, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,289 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were raised in Shreveport. We moved to Effie (30 mins outside of Alexandria) in May. I am an LPN working on my RN and he is in construction (he's done it all from setting forms, remodeling, to skirting mobile homes). I am ready to get out of this town, and we are ready to root ourselves. I have two stepdaughters 13 AND 6. I used to go to Lafayette alot in my colleges days to visit friends in school there and loved it. The people were always so nice. There was always something to do. I just want to know that we'll be able to find work, and housing. I thinks the girls would like the area, because there is more to do. It is my understanding that there is alot of building/rebuilding going on which would benefit my husband. I am 31 and he is 34, so we are looking to make a permanent home...
Any info would be helpful....I am mostly interested in the job market, and if the area will benefit us as a family
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 07:59 PM

7 posts, read 17,169 times
When I lived there (and worked at Lafayette General) in 04-05 LVN's got paid about $12/hr (RN's $16/hr). benefits were good and they also had opportunities to work the weekend shift (work 36hrs, 3-12's and get paid for 40). They have shift diff. pay, tuition assistance. Some of the others hospitals might have paid more. Just call and ask around.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:24 AM

25 posts, read 94,983 times
I would move to the south side if you have young children. The school system in south Lafayette, Youngsville, & Broussard is a more desirable area. Depending on what you do as an LPN you can make upwards of $20+ an hour. Obvisouly the more high risk, odd hours (weekends) the more you get paid. Hospitals and doctors offices pay the worst($10/hour). LPNs do best at places like LHC (local travel & home health nursing) and nursing homes (starting around $15/hour)

Old 04-30-2008, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,205 times
I have to agree with bpb2221. I live in Lafayette and on the Southside and it is correct that you would rather be on this side of town with small children. Honestly you would rather be on this side of town period. Not only do I live in Lafayette but I also work for LHC Group which bpb2221 mentions. We are a very large, locally owned Home Health Care organization with the Home Office located in Lafayette. We are located in 12 states and expanding. We are almost always hiring LPN's, RN's among other positions from Texas to the East coast and in between. You can search LHC Group and find our homepage where all jobs are listed. I work in the IS department doing software support for the software our company uses. Good luck in your search!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana