Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 06:56 PM

92 posts, read 468,332 times

Advertisements

husband moving to work for military housing corporation on base. We will buy a house when we sell our home in FL. so we may rent for a few months or a year (???) Company will be paying the rent for us. There are four of us and a dog that sleeps in her crate and stays in it when we aren't home. I can't see us in an apt. We may buy the house we're renting if we like it well enough to avoid moving twice. Anyone know of anything in a good area? Not too far from town....We could do alexandria or pineville, I guess. I know it's far from post, but I hear they're the nicest areas. I myself dont' know anything about any of it, yet. We have a sixteen yr. old that does dual enrollment and a thirteen yr. old homeschooler. I need help. I need info.on the area and the schools and what' around. I need to know where to go to meet people and make friends... Everything there is to know-I need to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 08:23 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,468,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbayle View Post
husband moving to work for military housing corporation on base. We will buy a house when we sell our home in FL. so we may rent for a few months or a year (???) Company will be paying the rent for us. There are four of us and a dog that sleeps in her crate and stays in it when we aren't home. I can't see us in an apt. We may buy the house we're renting if we like it well enough to avoid moving twice. Anyone know of anything in a good area? Not too far from town....We could do alexandria or pineville, I guess. I know it's far from post, but I hear they're the nicest areas. I myself dont' know anything about any of it, yet. We have a sixteen yr. old that does dual enrollment and a thirteen yr. old homeschooler. I need help. I need info.on the area and the schools and what' around. I need to know where to go to meet people and make friends... Everything there is to know-I need to know.
You have some decent choices. North of the Red River, Pineville (except for some areas by the Red River), Ball, and Tioga are pretty nice. South of the Red, I'd avoid anything between the Red and Macarthur Drive. There are some decent subdivisions off Jackson Straat, LA 28 west, and Horseshoe/Twin Bridges.
North of Alexandria, Pine

Old 01-25-2008, 06:42 PM

5 posts, read 19,074 times
Default housing

The least expensive place to be is the Garden District. Some areas are not great but other have houses with 6 figure prices. Most are around 60-80,000. If you are not concerned with school districts (because of homeschooling) it's definately the best value for your dollar. Houses in Pineville are much more expensive unless you get pretty far out of town.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:38 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,356,584 times
The best neighborhoods in Alexandria are off of Jackson Street Extension. The majority of the neighborhoods in this area are upscale and expensive. However, there are some affordable neighborhoods mixed in, such as Good Earth, Highpoint, Plantation Acres, and Fairfield.

There are decent areas between MacArthur and the Red. The Texas Avenue area between Masonic Drive and Jackson Street is a good area and is safe. The Garden District is a nice neighborhood but is close to high crime areas. One of the highest ranked high schools in the state, Bolton High School, is located in the Garden District. Besides the areas that I have just mentioned, I would avoid anything else between MacArthur and the Red River. Definitely avoid the area between Monroe Street and Rapides Avenue, the area between Bolton Avenue and downtown, and anything east of Lee Street.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:42 PM

92 posts, read 468,332 times
Default alexandria's new west side of town

It has been told to me that the new west side of town is growing and has new homes, nice homes, etc and all the stores that go with it. Is that the place to be???

Old 01-25-2008, 07:49 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,356,584 times
Yes, the west side is the nicest part of Alexandria in my opinion. But Pineville is also nice and has lower crime. But most of the retail establishments, businesses, hospitals, etc. are located in Alexandria.

Much growth is occurring along the Highway 28 West corridor with a new Wal-mart under construction. The new neighborhoods that are being constructed along the 28 West corridor are mostly expensive. I expect this area to continue rapid growth over the coming years.

Last edited by ral31; 01-25-2008 at 07:57 PM..

Old 06-12-2009, 07:36 PM

3 posts, read 8,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbayle View Post
Our house is in Pineville (great school districts!) which was really important when the older kids were at home, but now we also homeschool our 11 year old. However, I sub occasionally while she stays with homeschool friends, so I see that the public schools are still some of the best you can find in public schooling.

However, a job transfer will take us away soon[mod] advertising [/mod]

Last edited by leorah; 06-12-2009 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: Advertising is not allowed on City-Data
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana