Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2008, 09:44 PM

54 posts, read 193,015 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be getting transfered from TN to the Gonzales area this upcoming December. She will be working at Eastman Chemcials gasification plant in Dondalsonville. After looking at the extremely high rental prices and the fairly low housing prices it seems much more feasible to buy rather than rent. I had a couple of questions. Is the area around Tanger outlet area nice? I read a previous post about the area between airline and I-10 being some of the best places to live. Are the areas around sorrentos any good? We really would like to avoid the cookie cutter neighboorhoods and the anciently outdated homes. Thank you in advance-

Brad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 10:46 PM

794 posts, read 3,356,827 times
Dutchtown/Prairieville is a pretty nice area to live. There are plenty of subdivisions that you can look at there. I'm not sure about houses right around Tanger. If you go any further west past it, it's mostly chem plants. Plenty of people commute to the west bank plants from Gonzales, and vice versa to the east bank plants.
Did you try looking at houses in D'ville, although if you're wanting to stay close to a bigger city with services, that might not be the best choice. But if you don't mind rural, you could check into it. There are fewer houses and cookie-cutter subdivisions but more acrage on that side of the river.
Plaquemine is also an option. It is about 20 minutes north of D'ville and 10 miles south of BTR on the west bank of the river. It's a big town (small city) with more services, more housing options (but very few apartments), and the best of both worlds with the proximity to BTR. And the commute would be half as bad, although LA 1 has picked up the last several years.
Guess it depends on how close you need to be to Baton Rouge.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:58 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwar050 View Post
My wife and I will be getting transfered from TN to the Gonzales area this upcoming December. She will be working at Eastman Chemcials gasification plant in Dondalsonville. After looking at the extremely high rental prices and the fairly low housing prices it seems much more feasible to buy rather than rent. I had a couple of questions. Is the area around Tanger outlet area nice? I read a previous post about the area between airline and I-10 being some of the best places to live. Are the areas around sorrentos any good? We really would like to avoid the cookie cutter neighboorhoods and the anciently outdated homes. Thank you in advance-

Brad
In general, you want to stick with the subdividions between I-10 and Airline north of Gonzales - those are the newer subdividions. Closer to the plants along the river are more slummy areas, while east of Airline, you have more established neighborhoods with people who aren't as accepting of outsiders because they've lived in Ascension Parish forever.

This means you'd likely find a place in Prairieville/Galvez/Dutchtown (honestly, I've seen these three names for a similar area used interchangably). There is one exception to my "between Airline and I-10" rule: Pelican Point subdivision is on the river side of I-10 along LA 44. Only problem is, I think it's out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 11,855 times
Smile moving to gonzales area

[color="Blue"]Gonzales is a great city to live in....you can work in either New Orleans or Baton Rouge and the distance either way is about the same....the town is friendly and the schools are great...there was just a redistricting of the school zones so before moving if you have children find out about the school your child would be attending if you moved in a certain area....but good luck and you wont be sorry!![[color="blue"]

Old 01-26-2008, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 35,920 times
Hello,
Pelican Point is in Sorrento and is a very easy commute for your wife to Dville. You are also just a minute's drive from I-10. Easy drive to Gonzales as well which has most of the big shopping/restuarants. Gonzales is growing very rapidly. Pelican Point is very nice golf coarse community and they are presently openning a big grocery store and smaller shops right outside the entrance so before long you'll be able to get everything you need right outside of your neighborhood. The only catch is that it's pricy so just depends on what you want to spend. They do have condos/garden homes as well. Moderator cut: no real estate advertising on City Data ]
Best of Luck.
P.S. We live in Nashville but from Dville. You will find the people very friendly

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-27-2008 at 04:19 AM..

Old 11-01-2008, 09:07 PM

17 posts, read 126,330 times
Gonzales is a nice city. I used to lived there and am planning on moving back in the near future. There is a new s/d on cornerview/la 429 that is nice. A little cookie cutter but nice. There are also some nice subdivisions, manchac comes to mind, off of 42, that is really nice and not as cookie cutter. It is also a little closer to airline, which connects NOLA and BR, and oftentimes not as heavily traveled as I-10. Just a thought.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:41 PM

5 posts, read 8,788 times
Donaldsonville is the place to be if you like small town life where you can walk to your favorite restaurant and people along the way wave and say hi.

Last edited by Nicholls Street Propertie; 10-17-2010 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: mispelled
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana