Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 11:55 AM

6 posts, read 25,887 times

Advertisements

Huh, I thought I was signed up to get notifications of new comments from this forum. Sorry I haven't responded to anybody.

Yeah LA'sLegend, I figured that would be the reaction of most Monroyans to the idea of a dog park. When I got my little 20-pound terrier mix a lot of people asked me if she was going to live inside...! But I know a lot of the dogs around here are either for protection as you said, or for hunting, so they get a lot of exercise or have a yard to run around in. Since I live in an apartment, my dog just gets walks and I'd like to let her really run sometimes. (I did try taking her on the tennis courts at ULM over Christmas break when it was totally deserted--after she'd done her business in the grass outside the fence--and she was so freaked out by some of the nets flapping in the wind that she managed to squeeze out through the gap between the gate and the fence. That's no sort of guard dog!)

And to respond to one of my own "con" points--I just saw yesterday that there's a Vietnamese and Thai restaurant about to open on Desiard across from campus! Yay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 10:40 PM

420 posts, read 479,327 times
yummy yummy.........I miss bondreux's rite there but we'll see what's happening......wow a terrier, u are northerner...lol. im sure the terrier is not a monroe-hater!!!!!

Old 03-05-2008, 11:55 PM

108 posts, read 348,674 times
LOUISIANA you are quite the funny man and i enjoy reading your stuff.. you make me laugh ..and that aint easy for some reason nowdays just wanted to say this lady enjoys you

Old 08-29-2009, 06:52 PM

4 posts, read 14,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldunn1001 View Post
So many people who haved posted here seem to hate the Monroe-West Monroe area. I grew up here all my life until I was a young adult. It was a lot different back then granted but it was a nice place to grow up. Yes, you can sometimes smell the paper mill but usually it is if you are at a certain area in West Monroe, not over the entire city. In the past several years I have lived in several locations throughout this country and traveled to even more and here I am back in Funroe (LOL) because to some of us, it is simply HOME !! I will say Monroe is not that great a place to live anymore, unless you are out in the Swartz area, but West Monroe and Calhoun are pretty nice, even has some gently rolling hills. It seems now that I have been away for a while, living three years in Las Vegas even - in the middle of the desert - I certainly appreciate the beauty of this area much more. Unfortunately, the economy is not too good and I keep hoping some investors come along and bring some new businesses and/or entertainment to the area 1) to help the economy and provide more jobs and 2) simply for more things to do so kids especially don't get into trouble just out of shear boredom. Oh well, until that happens, Dallas is a short drive away. And who can resist Johnny's Pizza or Ray's PeGe? So, quit hating on Monroe...it's not THAT bad, is it?
I lived in the Lakeshore area for fifteen years and the stench of the paper mill was a frequent and unwelcome event. While I do agree that Johnny's Pizza is really fine pizza, Ray's PeGee is horribly overrated. Nobody should have wait 30 - 45 minutes for a so - so Po' boy.

As for Monroe generally, yes, I have to admit to being an unapologetic "hater". The town is shabby and run - down (when I lived there it was estimated that 40% of all housing there was substandard), jobs are scarce and low - paying, and the heat & humidity is dreadful. I moved to Tennessee 26 years ago, and I've never regretted leaving Monroe. I still have a few relatives living there, and my infrequent trips back have only confirmed my dislike for the area.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:42 PM

806 posts, read 2,960,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fensterkind View Post
I lived in the Lakeshore area for fifteen years and the stench of the paper mill was a frequent and unwelcome event. While I do agree that Johnny's Pizza is really fine pizza, Ray's PeGee is horribly overrated. Nobody should have wait 30 - 45 minutes for a so - so Po' boy.

As for Monroe generally, yes, I have to admit to being an unapologetic "hater". The town is shabby and run - down (when I lived there it was estimated that 40% of all housing there was substandard), jobs are scarce and low - paying, and the heat & humidity is dreadful. I moved to Tennessee 26 years ago, and I've never regretted leaving Monroe. I still have a few relatives living there, and my infrequent trips back have only confirmed my dislike for the area.
I highly doubt you can smell the papermill in Lakeshore. Not only do I doubt it, I know you can't. Don't lie.

I've never waited that long at Ray's-- maybe 10min. at most.. Its gone down hill. I talked to Mr. Ray, even he doesn't approve much of the new management, though he didn't explictly say that.

Shabby and run-down? No. Its not. I'm sorry that Lakeshore is dying.. Monroe is not. Jobs are now plentiful. V-Vehicle, Delhi Sweet Potatoes, Gardner-Denver, Accent Marketing...ring a bell?? People get 40k. jobs in the area graduating ULM all the time.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 09-15-2009 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 09-03-2009, 10:03 AM

420 posts, read 479,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
I highly doubt you can smell the papermill in Lakeshore. Not only do I doubt it, I know you can't. Don't lie.

I've never waited that long at Ray's-- maybe 10min. at most.. Its gone down hill. I talked to Mr. Ray, even he doesn't approve much of the new management, though he didn't explictly say that.

Shabby and run-down? No. Its not. I'm sorry that Lakeshore is dying.. Monroe is not. Jobs are now plentiful. V-Vehicle, Delhi Sweet Potatoes, Gardner-Denver, Accent Marketing...ring a bell?? People get 40k. jobs in the area graduating ULM all the time.

I'm sorry that you didn't further your education or refine your skills to get a job in Monroe's new, dyanmic economy.
I swear I did not pay this guy to say that.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:26 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
I don't hate Monroe. They're one of the few teams UL Lafayette has a shot of beating in football.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldunn1001 View Post
So many people who haved posted here seem to hate the Monroe-West Monroe area. I grew up here all my life until I was a young adult. It was a lot different back then granted but it was a nice place to grow up. Yes, you can sometimes smell the paper mill but usually it is if you are at a certain area in West Monroe, not over the entire city. In the past several years I have lived in several locations throughout this country and traveled to even more and here I am back in Funroe (LOL) because to some of us, it is simply HOME !! I will say Monroe is not that great a place to live anymore, unless you are out in the Swartz area, but West Monroe and Calhoun are pretty nice, even has some gently rolling hills. It seems now that I have been away for a while, living three years in Las Vegas even - in the middle of the desert - I certainly appreciate the beauty of this area much more. Unfortunately, the economy is not too good and I keep hoping some investors come along and bring some new businesses and/or entertainment to the area 1) to help the economy and provide more jobs and 2) simply for more things to do so kids especially don't get into trouble just out of shear boredom. Oh well, until that happens, Dallas is a short drive away. And who can resist Johnny's Pizza or Ray's PeGe? So, quit hating on Monroe...it's not THAT bad, is it?

Old 09-15-2009, 05:07 AM

4 posts, read 14,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
Somebody lied here, but it certainly wasn't me. Everybody that lived in Lakeshore when I was there commented on it when we got a blast from the paper mill. It was a favorite topic of conversation, along with when the water took on a sulphuric odor, which happened from time to time.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 09-15-2009 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 09-15-2009, 08:13 PM

806 posts, read 2,960,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fensterkind View Post
Somebody lied here, but it certainly wasn't me. Everybody that lived in Lakeshore when I was there commented on it when we got a blast from the paper mill. It was a favorite topic of conversation, along with when the water took on a sulphuric odor, which happened from time to time.
I talked to my friend who lives near Lakeshore Elementary and he knows nothing of what you're talking about.. He's lived there a LONG time as well.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:04 PM

595 posts, read 1,173,985 times
I'm only going to comment on the dog park issue and dogs as security,being in BR. My dogs are working dogs(SECURITY) I have two That roam the yard all night and a pure bread American pit bull inside and a .380 on Me at all times The open carry law allows that/not in banks Fed. Buld. ect. As big as BR is We just got a dog park for the pet only type dogs.It was built buy a concerted effort between our city parks Commission,the Mayor,but most of all from Raising Cains Chicken Restaurant.They must have paid the most of the tab because it is named Raising Cains Dog park. No comment on Monroe, Gays, or Skeeters because they are every where and don't bother Me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana