Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2007, 03:02 PM

774 posts, read 1,857,923 times

Advertisements

Okay ... I'm a truck driver and I got detoured to Lafeyette last month. I LOVED THE MUSIC ... and the FEEL of the place. It was dark so I didn't get a chance to really see how the place feels ... but just going on how good it felt to be around THE PEOPLE ... I have to look at a possible move there.

My father was from Lake Charles / Alexandra. And there were a lot of people from Louisana in the California Bay Area where I grew up. So ... it just felt like home ... with all that great zydeco music! (I always used to wonder WHY accordian music attracted me ... espically French accordian music. Guess it's marked on my genes somewhere.)

So ... where can a 54 year old single black man from the complex disaster that once was California find happiness in Louisana?

I'm looking for a place where I can buy a CHEAP small farm. (Anything from 5 -to-20 or more acres.)

Crime is everywhere ... so is racism ... but I'd like to be able to limit the ... pressures of each as much as possible.

I'd LOVE to live somewhere in the radius of 30 to 45 minutes of a city or university town.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 04:25 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,467,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
Okay ... I'm a truck driver and I got detoured to Lafeyette last month. I LOVED THE MUSIC ... and the FEEL of the place. It was dark so I didn't get a chance to really see how the place feels ... but just going on how good it felt to be around THE PEOPLE ... I have to look at a possible move there.

My father was from Lake Charles / Alexandra. And there were a lot of people from Louisana in the California Bay Area where I grew up. So ... it just felt like home ... with all that great zydeco music! (I always used to wonder WHY accordian music attracted me ... espically French accordian music. Guess it's marked on my genes somewhere.)

So ... where can a 54 year old single black man from the complex disaster that once was California find happiness in Louisana?

I'm looking for a place where I can buy a CHEAP small farm. (Anything from 5 -to-20 or more acres.)

Crime is everywhere ... so is racism ... but I'd like to be able to limit the ... pressures of each as much as possible.

I'd LOVE to live somewhere in the radius of 30 to 45 minutes of a city or university town.

Suggestions?
Some thoughts: (1) St Martin Parish (Breaux Bridge, Henderson), (2) Iberia Parish (New Iberia, Loreauville, Patterson), (3) southern St Landry Parish (Grand Coteau, Sunset, Arnaudville)

Old 12-09-2007, 05:02 PM

83 posts, read 523,480 times
Honestly, the areas surrounding Lake Charles would be a nice place.

We're about 30 miles outside Lake Charles and there's lots of farm area for sale.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:05 PM

24 posts, read 96,488 times
Have you tried Edgard in St. John parish? Edgard is about 35 minutes from New Orleans. It's even closer to Metairie and Kenner. Land is pretty cheap there too.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:37 PM

450 posts, read 2,057,020 times
Thumbs up Check out Mansfield in Desoto Parish.

I have land on north Toledo Bend Lake and Mansfield is the closest town of any size. It has a new Super Walmart and is growing--albeit slowly. It is within your desired radius of Shreveport--that has the university and great medical. Not as Cajun as Lafayette, of course, but it has a diverse culture--black, native american, old Mexican--often mixed together. If you check the ethnic breakdown of Mansfield you will find that it is around 50% black--maybe more. Great thing is the land is very cheap, well-drained, scenic, and fertile. And the hunting and fishing is world class.

Mansfield has an equestrian club that has mostly black riders. I don't mean to dwell on the ethnic thing, but want you to know this is not a closed society. Let me know if you care to check it out. I am looking for some good future neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana