Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:59 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cass70506 View Post
I have been to many different parts of this country, I have lived in many different states. I am from Lafayette, Louisiana and by far its the best place to live. Yeah the climate sucks, and we don't believe in alot of things people in the north do (trust me I'm in the north right now and hate it). Lafayette, Louisiana is not uglier than any other city I have lived in. We have our own share of problems just like anywhere else and quite frankly if you don't like living in Lafayette, Louisiana get out, go we don't need you, Shaa. Oh and by the way if your in Lafayette, Louisiana its not coonass country anyway its Cajun blood that runs that town, coonass are further south of the state get your terms right!!!
What exactly is it that you hate about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 11:42 PM

432 posts, read 1,086,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Hmm, born and raised here. Left Lafayette for the Navy back in 1990. Some cities I've lived in include Orlando, FL; Norfolk, VA; Dallas, TX, and Gaeta, Italy. I've been to at least 15 different countries and seen famous cities including Barcelona, Gibralter, Monte Carlo, Venice, Florance, Athens, Rhodes, Istanbul, Jerusalem, and Cairo.
Sort of dispels the notion that in order to love this area, one must have never seen anywhere else! Ouch! To the moron who suggested this notion:

I've mentioned before that I fly for a living. Suffice it to say, my trips venture a bit beyond flying from New Iberia to Opelousas, so please credit this Lafayette resident with just a bit more knowledge on the subject.

Most of my trips are to Houston, but they frequently span to Santa Fe, or Northern California, or Philly and NYC. Miami on occasion, as well as the DFW and Chicago-land areas. Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Corpus Christi and San Antonio. Many many more over the decades of doing this.

But, Lafayette has always, and always WILL be home for me. And to think that there's not even a lick of Cajun blood in me. Transplant and proud....

Still want to suggest that those of us who love this area haven't seen anything else??

Old 08-23-2010, 06:06 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,328,014 times
Im from Baton Rouge originally but I definitely prefer Lafayette.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:46 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,035,989 times
For the urban (especially Northeastern) dweller: If you have an open mind, you will like Lafayette. If you can't divorce yourself from a more in-town, faster pace, the downtown area is small geographically and by no means a metropolis, but you will find what you are looking for. I lived in a 1920's, high-ceiling wooden house in the university area steps from the main drag (Jefferson Street). Within 3 minutes by foot I had access to a Lebanese grocery/deli, an ice cream parlour, a Vietnamese-run convienence store, a bank, a pool hall/college bar, a zydeco club/hotel and the University. Another 10 minutes walking put me "downtown" on Jefferson, which has too many bars and restaurants to name. The downtown/university area is filled with students, professors, bohemian young people, and many others. It is the only place where yard signs are mostly Democrat! Expect a historical neighborhood whose "rough around the edges" look gives it character- as well as cheaper rent.
If you wish to try an entirely different pace, good chunks of Lafayette are anything but urban. The whole strip mall/River Ranch/peaceful subdivision movement has taken much of the places heading south of downtown. Additionally, there are still nice places in quiet country settings, close enough to all conviences but still detached from development. After fleeing New Orleans for Katrina I enjoyed an entirely new pace and setting living in the rural southwest of Lafayette Parish (near Acadiana High School).
So its all what you're after. But if you expect open-minded folks and more ecclectic style, I'd stick to downtown. People tend to hold very conservative views elsewhere, but the French/Creole heritage makes for liberal celebrations and friendly people regardless of where you came from and what you believe. For many, Lafayette can be a great place to be.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:02 AM

aab, you said you live in the southwest...I lived for a couple years with a friend in an apartment on West congress, just down the road from Acadiana High School, and thats more west, and even northwest rather than southwest. where I live now in the Broadmoor area is much more southwest.
The West Congress corridor is actually a really great place to live and its a short drive from everything.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:54 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,241,383 times
... and the West begins right there in Scott.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:20 PM

51 posts, read 80,531 times
JimLift your post is very interesting cause im from jersey, college in San Fran, now live in Clearwater Florida, tampa's crime is getting to me and florida wears thin after a while too transient.

I have a masters degree in health care im older 57 and like alot to do, i lived for a year in Knoxville tennessee, it was too boring for me, but i actually miss it now, Im considering lafeyette or mobile alabama or texas perhaps houston, i never see much in Dallas to make me want to move there.

I hear the people are friendly in Layayette is this true? Tampa Bay is like a zoo, i don't feel fulfilled or content here and mostly retirees who will eventually smoke and drink themselves to death, not kidding either, almost everyone i meet here,

So I would like to be able to to have an intelligent conversation with people and make good friends, JimLift, does it sound like i might like lafeyette or should i try houston??? Anyone else is welcome to chime in thank you everyone.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:39 PM

17,624 posts, read 17,690,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolmate1959 View Post
JimLift your post is very interesting cause im from jersey, college in San Fran, now live in Clearwater Florida, tampa's crime is getting to me and florida wears thin after a while too transient.

I have a masters degree in health care im older 57 and like alot to do, i lived for a year in Knoxville tennessee, it was too boring for me, but i actually miss it now, Im considering lafeyette or mobile alabama or texas perhaps houston, i never see much in Dallas to make me want to move there.

I hear the people are friendly in Layayette is this true? Tampa Bay is like a zoo, i don't feel fulfilled or content here and mostly retirees who will eventually smoke and drink themselves to death, not kidding either, almost everyone i meet here,

So I would like to be able to to have an intelligent conversation with people and make good friends, JimLift, does it sound like i might like lafeyette or should i try houston??? Anyone else is welcome to chime in thank you everyone.
Plenty of people can have an intelligent conversation, just don't be surprised if the social and political discussion runs counter to your own personal beliefs. As with any place, there are some intelligent people and there are some pig headed, stubborn, and ignorant people. If you're willing to listen with an open mind you can learn something from even the least educated person. Some without a college degree may surprise you with what they know. Being conservative or liberal alone does not denote intelligence nor lack of. Plenty of ignorance on both sides.

There are hospitals in the Lafayette area that are growing/expanding and thus are hiring.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:55 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolmate1959 View Post

I wouldn't really advise Lafayette for intelligent conversation. It's a great place but it's southern and full of drinking and great food. People in Lafayette are friendly but I would expect most intelligent conversations to be centered around southern conservative politics.

There's lots to do, I was just there yesterday for Festival International but I couldn't live there myself. It's small and it feels like it. Which is good for some people.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:59 PM

That makes no sense. Of course you can have intelligent conversation here! You can find intelligent people in any town to talk to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana