Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 07:17 PM

71 posts, read 213,812 times

Advertisements

I honestly cannot believe I'm about to post this on a website but I've become hopeless.

My son was recently cast in a Disney Channel show and we are uprooting to California. We have other kids so as you can imagine this whole thing is on the more complicated side, and not knowing anyone in California doesn't help the matter.

My bottom line is (and I can't believe how I sound, either):

Will my kids and the rest of my family be able to live a normal life in Manhattan Beach? We fell in love with the area but I don't want my son harassed for being on Disney or my other children bothered... or would we be better off moving to a place like Beverly Hills?

As embarrassing as this is, this whole thing has become an issue and I have just about no insight on the area.

So thanks in advance for all help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 08:29 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
beverly hills is certainly more "industry" focused, but manhattan beach would probably offer your kids a more "normal" area to grow up. however, if your son's show will be filming at disney studios, manhattan beach would be too far away if you had to make the commute on a daily basis. if that is in fact the case, i would probably live somewhere in the valley like burbank or glendale.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:37 PM

79 posts, read 238,280 times
Your question is totally legit. Whether it is Manhattan, Newport, Redondo, or Hermosa Beach, the beauty of California is there is definatly no shortage of places to live when it comes to raising and pursuing family interests in hollywood. Remember kids will be kids and there is never a 100% guarantee that any child will have a hassle free school experience actor or not. I would base your decision on school district rating and commute. Should your child have a huge high profile role that would make it impossible for a child to have a normal education than I would network with other parents at your child's studio that may have good recommendations or your child's agent should they have one.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
beverly hills is certainly more "industry" focused, but manhattan beach would probably offer your kids a more "normal" area to grow up. however, if your son's show will be filming at disney studios, manhattan beach would be too far away if you had to make the commute on a daily basis. if that is in fact the case, i would probably live somewhere in the valley like burbank or glendale.

Oh, I'll have to find that out, I would assume that's where. This is all happening extremely fast...

I guess I'll look into Pacific Palisades too, as we're trying to stay closer to the ocean.

But, location aside, would Manhattan Beach be okay as far as having TV people around?

Old 05-18-2010, 09:03 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
many of the athletes from LA's pro sports teams live in Manhattan Beach so i don't think anyone there is put off by celebrities. i'm sure there are hollywood types there as well, but most tend to live closer to/in the city or in malibu if they want the beach lifestyle.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosa View Post
Your question is totally legit. Whether it is Manhattan, Newport, Redondo, or Hermosa Beach, the beauty of California is there is definatly no shortage of places to live when it comes to raising and pursuing family interests in hollywood. Remember kids will be kids and there is never a 100% guarantee that any child will have a hassle free school experience actor or not. I would base your decision on school district rating and commute. Should your child have a huge high profile role that would make it impossible for a child to have a normal education than I would network with other parents at your child's studio that may have good recommendations or your child's agent should they have one.
Well we were directed to Manhattan Beach.

My main concern is just going out and about in town. I just want to make sure we can go out to the beach or coffee shop with out my son being bothered (for the most part) . I don't know if Manhattan Beach is used to having celebrities, so to speak.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
many of the athletes from LA's pro sports teams live in Manhattan Beach so i don't think anyone there is put off by celebrities. i'm sure there are hollywood types there as well, but most tend to live closer to/in the city or in malibu if they want the beach lifestyle.
Okay, the commute is something I'll have to look into but we really fell in love with the whole feel of Manhattan Beach.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:29 PM

79 posts, read 238,280 times
Lived in L.A for the past 10 years.. I've only seen sport celebrities out and about in manhattan beach area...Shaq, kobe bryant, luke walton, Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh. Mostly celebrity athlete types. I've also seen claire danes when she was younger hanging out at the mall and she seemed to have her privacy. People in Manhattan beach seem to be really nice and laid back. Don't think you would have the abrasive type of annoying people that you there.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosa View Post
Lived in L.A for the past 10 years.. I've only seen sport celebrities out and about in manhattan beach area...Shaq, kobe bryant, luke walton, Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh. Mostly celebrity athlete types. I've also seen claire danes when she was younger hanging out at the mall and she seemed to have her privacy. People in Manhattan beach seem to be really nice and laid back. Don't think you would have the abrasive type of annoying people that you there.
Thanks, that really makes me feel better.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:28 AM

380 posts, read 1,114,178 times
Would the people you'd run into at a coffee shop really be watching the Disney Channel? I doubt it. And if they did, I don't see how they would manage the guts to admit it. I'd pay top dollar to watch a 17 to 90 year old bug your child about their latest episode's plot. School's are another story--but really, who didn't have some issues in school? I get the feeling that any human would have a better experience growing up in MB rather than BH. The Palisades are very nice too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles