Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 07:56 AM

26,328 posts, read 94,066,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
Apparently plenty of people consider them livable neighborhoods.

Hollywood has 85,000 residents
Westwood has 52,000 residents
Koreatown has 124,000 residents
Mid Wilshire has 47,000 residents
Downtown has 40,000 residents
Santa Monica has 87,000 residents
All these people are tourists?
What percent of these people can (or do) walk to destinations that provide daily/weekly products and services?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
I live in a very walkable part of West LA near Sawtelle. Most everything I need is within walking distance.

You are probably in the 5% who live within a reasonable distance (fifteen minute one way walk - one mile) to daily products and services in Southern California. And besides, who wants to spend 30 minutes of travel time to buy the small amount of product that can be carried by one person (in hand, on bike, or with a cart)? For example, There is a lot of benefit to buying a weeks worth of groceries - may be tough for a pedestrian.

There are other things, perhaps not positive, associated with living a walkable distance from retail. Noise from 5AM delivery trucks, parking lot lights, vehicle traffic in your neighborhood, and increased likelihood of "street people" venturing into your residential neighborhood.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:23 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,847,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What percent of these people can (or do) walk to destinations that provide daily/weekly products and services?
I don't know the percentages, but given that many people in these areas (a majority in some of them) don't own cars, I'd say the percentages are pretty high.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:25 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,847,126 times
Quote:
You are probably in the 5% who live within a reasonable distance (fifteen minute one way walk - one mile) to daily products and services in Southern California. And besides, who wants to spend 30 minutes of travel time to buy the small amount of product that can be carried by one person (in hand, on bike, or with a cart)? For example, There is a lot of benefit to buying a weeks worth of groceries - may be tough for a pedestrian.

There are other things, perhaps not positive, associated with living a walkable distance from retail. Noise from 5AM delivery trucks, parking lot lights, vehicle traffic in your neighborhood, and increased likelihood of "street people" venturing into your residential neighborhood.
Far more than 5% of southern Californians loive within a fifteen minute walk of basic services. I gather that you don't live that lifestyle or prefer it, but there are a lot -- I think far more than you realize -- people who do.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:46 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,305,497 times
I live in Los Feliz and can walk to the grocery store, library, restaurants and barber shop.

I like walking because sometimes driving can be a pain, and finding parking can be a pain. Plus it's good for you.

Yes it does take longer, but I can buy a couple of days worth of groceries, clear my head and get my heart going.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:40 AM

916 posts, read 3,713,201 times
Quote:

I don't know if it's 5% but anyone who lives in a coastal neighborhood likely lives in a walkable one. And the coastal neighborhoods do a pretty good job of managing the "other things" you reference as not positive. It's not going to be as quiet as an inland suburb but I think that's a trade off most are willing to make as illustrated by the significantly higher prices for housing in the coastal, walkable neighborhoods.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:06 PM

428 posts, read 1,188,870 times
Quote:

I think many people that live in walkable neighbourhoods walk/ride to get the things they need. This is reflected in the fact that several studies have shown that people living in walkable neighbourhoods tend to be slimmer than those who live in more traditional car dependant suburban areas. I personally would rather walk and take the half hour to get what I need and enjoy being outside, get some exercise and enjoy the energy of the pedestrian traffic. A car can be used to get to do large grocery shopping, however I go to the market several times a week as well since I want fresh fruit and veggies.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:46 PM

245 posts, read 715,533 times
West Hollywood is a good walkable neighborhood. I usually walk for groceries, pedicure, breakfast, lunch, and even clubs at night to avoid DUIs. It's more convenient to not drive in traffic and I'm getting my 10 minutes of workout every time.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:49 PM

El Segundo is walkable for the most part.

There is another characteristic of walkable retail. It seems you'd have to go to six different mom and pop stores to buy six different things as a Target or Walmart or Costco wouldn't likely be in a walkable neighborhood. It's very convenient to be able to get just about everything you need in one place, or at least a mall anchored by a Target with a Bed Bath and Beyond, a DSW, a Kohls, Sports Authority, etc, all in one place. Big stores like that generally have a no questions asked return policy too - probably less likely for a Main Street shop.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:02 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,779,745 times
Quote:
Does anyone think these places are candidates for livable neighborhoods? Or, do these places seem more like entertainment or tourist districts?
I lived just off Melrose and Fairfax for 6+ years and found it very livable. Yes, Melrose itself is mostly tourist-oriented but it's easily enough ignored if you don't need its offerings. Pretty much everything I needed was within a mile radius or so, which is good because it takes a long time to drive much farther than that.

I walked regularly to:

- the gym
- library
- restaurants (it would have been stupid to drive 2 blocks)
- video store (this was pre-Netflix)
- bars and booze stores
- movie theaters

I drove to:

- grocery store (easier to carry more)
- work
- stuff more than a mile away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles