Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 11:57 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,617,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arian de Koning View Post
As a non-US resident I have quite a romatic view on reality of both cities.
However, LA has no extreme winters, hence the popularity of homeless is therefore much higher, the summers in NY city seem dry and very hot and their winter is far below human acceptable standards while LA in comparison has quite a stable climate and much sunshine which makes sleeping and living outdoor easier.

My point is that much homeless are using drugs in order to forget the daily struggle for life so as there might be more homeless in LA due to the nice climate I presume that drugs abuse is higher than in NY city.

Than again it is hard to express the amount of abuse in each city as they seem to look like countries of their own, even more if you compare it with The Netherlands where I come from.

Drugs are the worst thing human can imagine, unfortunately my brother suffers from it for more than 25 years now and he roams the streets in Haarlem (near Amsterdam)
Drugs is wordwide...

Regards, Arian.
Quite correct. I have worked with homeless people [mainly vets & recent parolees] who live here because of the climate [but I guess that is pretty obvious when one only has the street to sleep on each night - sad situation!

Old 11-16-2008, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,134 times
um yea, newportbeachsmostwanted...
have you ever been to compton?
no green lawns, no parks, tiny single family homes and mostly projects, no supermarkets...liquor stores. and definately no strip malls.
Bottom line, they are both terrible places, but they look different because l.a. has more space.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:07 AM

829 posts, read 2,957,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allysdublin View Post
no green lawns, no parks, tiny single family homes and mostly projects, no supermarkets...liquor stores. and definately no strip malls.
Bottom line, they are both terrible places, but they look different because l.a. has more space.
That is not true at all...There are some very nice areas in Compton. That doesnt mean the area isnt gang infested, but as far as appearences, Compton has some nice areas. A lot of the areas look like your typical suburban neighborhood, but the looks can be deceiving as far as the crime goes...

Old 11-16-2008, 10:51 AM

23 posts, read 48,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allysdublin View Post
LOL, have YOU been to Compton?

There's plenty of homes with green lawns, parks and supermarkets in Compton (there's even a Trader Joes and Fresh and Easy in Compton!). I don't think we're talking about the same Compton here.

The only thing giving Compton a bad name is Compton, if you know what I mean. If you took what I described above and put it in any other city you'd think it was early 1900's suburbia (which is fitting because a lot of homes in Compton were built during that time period).

Old 11-15-2009, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,746 times
nahh man ny is worse

Old 12-22-2009, 11:57 AM

4 posts, read 10,284 times
L.A by far ...way more harder hoods with gangbangers ..it may look all palm tree and sunny but dirt goes down in Cali.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:30 PM

3 posts, read 9,866 times
okay it honestly depend on where you live. Yes New York does have more police but do they care? Not really LA may be worse on the outside but New York has all its little secrets. There is so much more to get caught up in in NY.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:18 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,754,589 times
This is an old thread; if anyone wants to take up the topic again then please bring it to the city-versus-city forum. That forum is more appropriate for these sorts of comparative debates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles