Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 12:31 PM

63 posts, read 430,346 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was offered a job in the San Fernando Valley and considered taking it and moving there. I considered probably moving to either Encino or Tarzana.

I am not from California, and I wanted to ask you guys what do you think about these areas as places to live?

How much (cheap) do you think it would run to get an apartment in either of these places?

As I don't have a car yet, would it be safe to take the bus in these areas only? (or would it be a big mistake to try?)

Both these areas appear to be very safe, predominantly white areas where a lot of celebrities live. It's my impression that there is very little crime problem there - is that true?

Are there other neighborhoods bordering Encino and Tarzana that are just as good or better that I could also consider?

By the way, for what it's worth I am a Black American and I am allergic to crime. I don't want to be near any area that is troubled by crime or police harassment. I just want to live a normal existence.

I read a lot of things on this forum and I just want to get as much knowledge and information from people here who live in L.A. and know about these places.

Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 12:03 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,202,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderMatic View Post
Hello,

I was offered a job in the San Fernando Valley and considered taking it and moving there. I considered probably moving to either Encino or Tarzana.

I am not from California, and I wanted to ask you guys what do you think about these areas as places to live?

How much (cheap) do you think it would run to get an apartment in either of these places?

As I don't have a car yet, would it be safe to take the bus in these areas only? (or would it be a big mistake to try?)

Both these areas appear to be very safe, predominantly white areas where a lot of celebrities live. It's my impression that there is very little crime problem there - is that true?

Are there other neighborhoods bordering Encino and Tarzana that are just as good or better that I could also consider?

By the way, for what it's worth I am a Black American and I am allergic to crime. I don't want to be near any area that is troubled by crime or police harassment. I just want to live a normal existence.

I read a lot of things on this forum and I just want to get as much knowledge and information from people here who live in L.A. and know about these places.

Thanks for your time.
It would help to give an idea of your budget, if you want a one or two bedroom,where in the valley your job is located,etc. After finding out where your job is then I can advise safe areas nearby with bus transportation. In reference to celebrities in Tarzan and Encino, not where you could afford to live and probably only a handful. They are both safe areas, as safe as anything can be that is. I suggest you do some research on Craigslist.com,Rent.com,Realtor.com,the L.A. Times,Pennysaver....to explore rentals and get a basic idea of the costs. Again, it would help to know where in the Valley you would work.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:22 AM

71 posts, read 400,085 times
Yes, "the Valley" encompasses a great amount of area. So, can you be more specific? I lived in "the Valley" in Burbank (which is loaded with celebrities, but expensive); Van Nuys (a slum, but cheap), and North Hollywood (half and half, part of it very safe and reasonable; another part, a slum, but cheap).

The areas of the San Fernando Valley with celebrities is Burbank, Glendale, Studio City and Sherman Oaks. I would say, Burbank being number one as most of the studios are right there. When you live there, you will start calling it "the Valley"! LOL! Or they will know you're not from there . . .

Busses . . . ok, I lived there for several years without owning a car. It can be done . . . unless you want a social life. For a day job, to and from work, the busses are fine, frequent enough. If you want to "hang out" after 9 or 10 p.m., you won't get home; unless you have a friend with a car who will drive you home [or make friends close to home].

The busses, basically, just stop running when it gets dark! Some parts of the Valley earlier than others.

But, as stated, I did all right . . . a little bit bored sometimes when I had to give up a social outing or two; if no one wanted to drive me back. And if you're working, at some point, you can find a reasonably priced car to get you around.

Have fun! The weather can be too warm in summer [in the Valley] -- but, you know, everyday is a beach day in California!

Old 06-06-2007, 12:27 AM

63 posts, read 430,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
It would help to give an idea of your budget, if you want a one or two bedroom,where in the valley your job is located,etc. After finding out where your job is then I can advise safe areas nearby with bus transportation. In reference to celebrities in Tarzan and Encino, not where you could afford to live and probably only a handful. They are both safe areas, as safe as anything can be that is. I suggest you do some research on Craigslist.com,Rent.com,Realtor.com,the L.A. Times,Pennysaver....to explore rentals and get a basic idea of the costs. Again, it would help to know where in the Valley you would work.
Thanks a lot. I would work in Encino. I don't have a car yet so would probably need to ride the bus until I get a car, so I would need to live in a place where the bus route is easy to figure out/use and is safest which I guess includes any neighborhoods the route passes through (and hopefully doesn't take forever to get to my destination).

I would hopefully not pay more than $900/month for rent if it can be helped, as I probably need to borrow from family members in order to get started up.
I would prefer to live in Encino since it's where my job would be, but guessed maybe Tarzana is just as good.
Basically I am trying to live in a place that is as safe as possible, is safe to use the bus system to and from work in Encino, and has no gang presence at all. Any info you can share or advice is definitely appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:18 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
$900 a month? You'll probably have to settle for a studio apartment if you want to be in a safe area. Encino is nice, especially if you stay as close to Ventura Blvd. or south of it as possible. Besides, buses go down Ventura regularly. Here is a site that might help: metro.net | Transit Services and Information for Los Angeles County

Also, you should look on CraigsList for apartments. Of course, the best way to find a place is to walk up and down a street you like and inquire about vacancies, if you can. Also, please scope out the neighborhood at all times of the day and night before you move in. Good luck to you!

Old 06-06-2007, 10:23 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,202,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderMatic View Post
Thanks a lot. I would work in Encino. I don't have a car yet so would probably need to ride the bus until I get a car, so I would need to live in a place where the bus route is easy to figure out/use and is safest which I guess includes any neighborhoods the route passes through (and hopefully doesn't take forever to get to my destination).

I would hopefully not pay more than $900/month for rent if it can be helped, as I probably need to borrow from family members in order to get started up.
I would prefer to live in Encino since it's where my job would be, but guessed maybe Tarzana is just as good.
Basically I am trying to live in a place that is as safe as possible, is safe to use the bus system to and from work in Encino, and has no gang presence at all. Any info you can share or advice is definitely appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.
There are plenty of rentals in Encino,Tarzana, skip Reseda, Canoga Park and Woodland Hills. In fact, being single in Woodland Hills is great as you can walk to everything such as two great malls,movies,restaurants,banks,a park with summer concerts,fast food,etc. Riding the bus won't be a problem from any of these areas. Maybe renting a room or guest house would be better or someone looking for a roomate. Again, go on-line to craigslist and look for rental/roomate situations in the Valley as well as the other sites I gave you. Try not to obsess about the Valley being dangerous. As long as you live within a mile or so of Ventura Blvd. you will be fine and probably would be even farther out. All of L.A. is NOT gang infested!!!!!Do you mind if I ask what type of work you are in? PM (private message)me if you would like more privacey. I grew up in the Valley and lived in almost all of the places I spoke of.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:13 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,481 times
Yeah man, Encino and Tarzana are good places, but for $900/mo I am not sure what you will get. If your job is on Ventura BLVD you are set. Mind giving the cross streets? I ask this because some streets are bad for bus times and could run every 1hour. So lets say you need to work at 8am, and the bus runs on the hour, you will be getting to work at 710. I dont know about you, but I don't like getting to work 50 mins early. I guess the alternative is to walk the 30 mins and get there on time. Or bicycle.
I live right above Encino, down White Oak.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:06 PM

179 posts, read 921,545 times
"Both these areas appear to be very safe, predominantly white areas where a lot of celebrities live. It's my impression that there is very little crime problem there - is that true?"

Nope. In the "white" areas of thevalley there is an abundant arryan nations gang. Also, the 18th street gang's drug smuggler (one of them atleast) lives in Tarzana, or Encino (i forget which).

Old 06-11-2007, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 46,754 times
Default moving to SFV

The San Fernando Valley is a very diverse collection of communities. The specific areas you mention -- Encino/Tarzana -- contain both upscale (some extreme) and middle-class housing. For years, Ventura Blvd has been the defacto demarcation silently separating classes. South of Ventura Boulevard (south of the blvd) along its entire stretch in the valley, you will find hill area with lush vegetation gently sloping up to the Santa Monica Mountain Range with Mullholland Drive at its apex. Almost all of the housing (with some exceptions I'll note below), is haute upper middle-class -- single family residences with increasing property values as you travel up and away from the boulevard. Few apartments, if any, can be found in Encino or Tarzana south of the boulevard. There might be an occasional guest house for rent.

North of the boulevard, between Ventura and (the northpoint varies from community to community) say, Burbank Boulevard, most areas are rife with pleasant to upscale apartment buildings (to complexes.) Going further north can become iffy, especially in the Tarzana area as you begin to enter Reseda, which has a more diverse landscape -- middle-class adjacent to barrio adjacent to industry adjacent to ranch.

In Encino, going north to Burbank Boulevard is a much different experience. Traveling north on Balboa from Ventura to Burbank is an upper-middle class experience with some nice housing opportunities that would put you adjacent to Balboa Park (golf course, man-made lake with paddle-boating, wildlife refuge-- part of the SF Valley Dam Basin) as well as Ventura Boulevard -- with prominent bus service.

Traveling too far north into the center of the valley, at most points, requires the ability to co-exist with a strong latino culture with small pockets of subtle but definite gang activity. Latino culture is prominent and pervasive in much of Los Angeles county.

If your work is actually in Encino or Tarzana, you'd be better off living there as except for the subway system that serves a very narrow corridor in LA County, public transportation is not a Los Angeles strong suit. If you're traveling up and down Ventura Blvd to go from work to home, you won't have too bad an experience. The boulevard is fasionable and upscale all the way. (Traffic is a beast though -- it can be very congested during 'drive times').

There are some other very nice areas along Ventura for apartment living -- most of these are east along the boulevard:

Sherman Oaks (adjacent to Encino to the east) -- Sherman Oaks actually has some affordable apartment housing South of the boulevard. Between Sepulveda and Van Nuys Boulevards, one block south of Ventura, there is a stretch of apartment complexes, quaint duplexes and older (40s, 50s) style apartments on a nice tree-lined street (Dickens.) Close to the Galleria, Close to Ventura, Close to the Government buildings (the City Center in Van Nuys).

In addition, if you travel north on Sepulveda (Sepulveda is the border between Sherman Oaks and Encino) about 1/2 mile or so, you can catch the Metro Orange line that gives you direct quick access to the Red Line (which is the Subway system) in North Hollywood -- for trips in to Hollywood, Downtown Los Angeles, Pasadena, or a day at the beach. Note: you wouldn't want to travel (or live) too far up Sepulveda -- there are some nice apartments close and to the north of Ventura -- but further up and you're entering Van Nuys -- the center of the valley -- it can be a little scary in areas.

Further east on Ventura after Sherman Oaks is Studio City -- great living, with lots of deals (on rent) in a more artsy environment -- most apartment options are north of the boulevard up to Magnolia (old and new -- very residential -- eclectic mix of middle to upper-middle class. Arguably more famous-dwellers here than in Encino/Tarzana.)

A reasonable 1 bedroom apartment in any of the areas that are clean, safe and close to your target area will probably run $1,200-$1,500. If you're a patient deal-searcher, you might find a great 1 bedroom for $950 or so.

Good luck with your search. If you have questions about specific areas, I'd be happy to help. I was born here (in Encino) in the 50s.

n

Last edited by nohonoel; 06-11-2007 at 07:54 PM..

Old 06-11-2007, 08:23 PM

128 posts, read 781,992 times
Valley Village and Valley Glen are great inexpensive places. They are just north of Sherman Oaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles