Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:20 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,947,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnHawk View Post
Now, I'll try and help you. I was a police officer on the LAPD for 33 years. I worked patrol for 32 of the 33 years. When I retired two years ago, I became a reserve officer and still work 4-6 shifts a month as an unpaid volunteer. Here is my advice, take it for what it is worth.

I am going to assume you want your day in court, which is your right. Two things can happen. First, the officer who issued you the citation fails to appear for your hearing. In that case, the judge has no alternative than to dismiss the charges against you and your bail is refunded.

Second, the officer shows up for your hearing. You can plead not guilty or guilty with an explanation. You've admitted on this forum that you were (technically) in the wrong. In general, police officers don't cite or arrest innocent people. I know, there are exceptions to this rule. You could be the exception.

You stated that you were properly dressed for your court appearance. Score one in your favor. Next, check your attitude and language at the door before you go into court. We Yanks know the U.S. equivilant of "bloody" and "arse." Inappropriate for any court of law or public forum.

As to your defense, stick to the facts of your case and your case only. You were cited and the individual you saw the next day who commited the same offense and got off with the warning has absolutely no bearing on your case.

Things to consider is the line of sight and perspective of the officer. How far away was he/she? Day or night? Raining? Clear? Wet or dry pavement? (I slipped off the sidewalk due to rain.) Traffic conditions? Parked vehicles or moving vehicles that could have obscured the officer's view? Other pedestrians? Was the intersection busy with traffic? Is it a wide intersection that takes time to cross? Photographs are a huge plus as the judge might not be familiar with the intersection and it could help him/her visualize the situation.

Your best defense is a good offense and putting the burden of proof on the police officer. Hopefully, you didn't do or say anything to the officer that was inappropriate or offensive. Those incidents stick in their minds and they are not shy about bring that particular matter up before the judge at your hearing.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. However, I imagine that you have a "British accent" which could play on the sympathy of the court. I've had judge's take that into consideration, bearing on where the defendant was originally from and how long in the U.S. Had I observed you doing what you said you did, I wouldn't have wasted my time or the ink in my pen to issue you a citation. I may have had a friendly talk and ask you to be more careful. Nothing more. I believe that being a police officer is more than being an authority figure, or acting in a punitive fashion and at the very least, looking for a source of revenue for the City of Los Angeles. That's not my job.

Currently, a number of police departments in Los Angeles County are focusing on pedestrian safety. Glendale PD, for instance, is going after pedestrians, as well as motor vehicle operators with due diligence following a study of accidents in their city with a high fatality rate. Just last Friday, a 13 year old female was tragically struck and killed by crossing against the light to catch a bus in West L.A. I don't want that to happen to you.

I hope this helps. If you are ever in downtown L.A., keep your eyes open for a police officer old enough to be your grandfather, bald with a bushy gray moustache. That's me. I'll take you to Phillippe's for cheesecake - my treat. Good luck.

I truly appreciate your help. You made a lot of good valid points, which I will definitely keep in mind. I did some venting in this post but I wouldn't act like this in court, I'm very aware of when/how to be professional/appropriate but I appreciate your reminders. I explained to the police officer that I was not aware, yes I have a British accent and he could hear that but he refused to understand he acted like a robot/nazi. He said he called me out twice but I didn't realise it was to me. I've noticed people shout out a lot of things and that it's never aimed at me and since I didn't think I was doing anything I carried on walking. That probably peed him off/maybe he felt embarrassed? I don't know. I was sitting at that corner for about 30 to 45mins and it started to get dark, the whole thing felt so silly. As they were leaving I did say "thanks for understanding" with a smile. I shouldn't have done that but I was really upset, sitting there for so long feeling like a hooker with cars stopped at the red light watching. So embarrassing. I could have said A LOT worse but I didn't insult them like how they're use to.

If I win great if I lose it's okay, i'll take it as an experience. At least I wont be going to jail or anything major. I think about a lot of other people that were at court, I was kinda grateful for my citation.

Thanks again, that was a great help and Cheesecake sounds great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 10:13 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,947,204 times
Quote:
Now, I'll try and help you. I was a police officer on the LAPD for 33 years. I worked patrol for 32 of the 33 years. When I retired two years ago, I became a reserve officer and still work 4-6 shifts a month as an unpaid volunteer...
Now I know your background, I wonder if that helped you to be able to change a couple laws? I'm curious to know. I have a feeling that if I tried to change a law I would be told something like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetheoutdoors View Post
If you don't like it, then go back home.
By the way saying "Bloody hell" is not swearing. I just realised this is probably why you think my mouth is so foul and arse is just "ass". It's just how we pronounce/spell it.

Last edited by Miss Pip; 03-01-2010 at 11:01 AM..

Old 03-01-2010, 08:16 PM

339 posts, read 778,088 times
FYI, I've had two State laws changed, in favor of the private citizen. In both instances, I approached my State Senator as a concerned citizen, not a law enforcement officer. It took time, research and diligence, but it was a success. Didn't want to, have to or need to use my position of authority.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:30 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,958,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Stupid renegade hipster bicycle riders, especially ones who blow through red lights. I don't want to have a hood ornament anytime soon.

I don't know... hitting a hipster with your vehicle isn't all that horrible a concept.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:08 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,226,165 times
Ignorance will not get you out of a ticket. I went to college in Pasadena and saw people getting J walking tickets. I think J walkers are idiots and wish they got tickets more often. It's really dangerous to J walk and I'm shocked that people don't get tickets for it in other states.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:00 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,609,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
I think J walkers are idiots
And I think people who wait for the walk light to come on when there is not any traffic coming are idiots.

Quote:
I'm shocked that people don't get tickets for it in other states.
I'm shocked people get ticketed for it in California.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:40 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,669,044 times
most of these are dismissed in court by the judge- as long as its your first offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
Hey Guys,

Next week i'll be fighting a J Walking ticket. I wondered if anyone else has experienced this?

I crossed the road when it was green for pedestrians but where I crossed was a little early before the crossing. I did this because I knew that by the time I got to the crossing it would go red and it takes forever for it to go green again because the junctions are huge. I have never heard of J Walking in my life. I did this right in front of a cop, obviously if I knew this was "illegal" I would have never of done it and especially in front of a bloody cop! I was so embarrassed when they pulled me over, I felt like a hooker especially because of the area. These cops were a bunch of robotic nazis and didn't care that I'm not from here and that this law does not exist in other countries. They could have given me a warning but no. They're wasting time with me for crossing the road when someone else could be getting mugged round the corner.

I've been living in America for 4 years now and I have never heard of this law, i've never seen anyone get done for J Walking, i've never met anyone else that got a J Walking ticket There's no such thing as J walking in Europe. I've never seen any signs/warnings for J Walking and penalties like how there are for speeding etc. Funny thing is the day after I got my ticket I saw a guy "j walking" with his infant (his bloody infant!!) and the cops came speeding round the corner and gave him a warning and that was it! Ridiculous! Pathetic! Not impressed!

I was at court 2 weeks ago for the bail and everyone else that was there had way more serious citations than mine. I think I was the only one that even bothered to dress up for court. The whole thing is silly. They want me to pay $178 for crossing the road. I think I deserve a slice of cheesecake to cheer myself up.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced this? or fighting citations in court? I'd like to know what your experience was like.

Thanks

Old 03-02-2010, 03:51 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,669,044 times
a cop not show up for court?!?! ya right. that could be some nice overtime.

and yes, the offender will enter a plea of guilty, not guilty or no contest, but most jay walking tickets dont even get that far. the judge will ask if it is your first offense, offender says yes, they are given a pass and voila! scot free. ive been in traffic court a couple times over the years, without fail j-walking tickets were dismissed.

thanks for your service.

Quote:
Now, I'll try and help you. I was a police officer on the LAPD for 33 years. I worked patrol for 32 of the 33 years. When I retired two years ago, I became a reserve officer and still work 4-6 shifts a month as an unpaid volunteer. Here is my advice, take it for what it is worth.

I am going to assume you want your day in court, which is your right. Two things can happen. First, the officer who issued you the citation fails to appear for your hearing. In that case, the judge has no alternative than to dismiss the charges against you and your bail is refunded.

Second, the officer shows up for your hearing. You can plead not guilty or guilty with an explanation. You've admitted on this forum that you were (technically) in the wrong. In general, police officers don't cite or arrest innocent people. I know, there are exceptions to this rule. You could be the exception.

You stated that you were properly dressed for your court appearance. Score one in your favor. Next, check your attitude and language at the door before you go into court. We Yanks know the U.S. equivilant of "bloody" and "arse." Inappropriate for any court of law or public forum.

As to your defense, stick to the facts of your case and your case only. You were cited and the individual you saw the next day who commited the same offense and got off with the warning has absolutely no bearing on your case.

Things to consider is the line of sight and perspective of the officer. How far away was he/she? Day or night? Raining? Clear? Wet or dry pavement? (I slipped off the sidewalk due to rain.) Traffic conditions? Parked vehicles or moving vehicles that could have obscured the officer's view? Other pedestrians? Was the intersection busy with traffic? Is it a wide intersection that takes time to cross? Photographs are a huge plus as the judge might not be familiar with the intersection and it could help him/her visualize the situation.

Your best defense is a good offense and putting the burden of proof on the police officer. Hopefully, you didn't do or say anything to the officer that was inappropriate or offensive. Those incidents stick in their minds and they are not shy about bring that particular matter up before the judge at your hearing.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. However, I imagine that you have a "British accent" which could play on the sympathy of the court. I've had judge's take that into consideration, bearing on where the defendant was originally from and how long in the U.S. Had I observed you doing what you said you did, I wouldn't have wasted my time or the ink in my pen to issue you a citation. I may have had a friendly talk and ask you to be more careful. Nothing more. I believe that being a police officer is more than being an authority figure, or acting in a punitive fashion and at the very least, looking for a source of revenue for the City of Los Angeles. That's not my job.

Currently, a number of police departments in Los Angeles County are focusing on pedestrian safety. Glendale PD, for instance, is going after pedestrians, as well as motor vehicle operators with due diligence following a study of accidents in their city with a high fatality rate. Just last Friday, a 13 year old female was tragically struck and killed by crossing against the light to catch a bus in West L.A. I don't want that to happen to you.

I hope this helps. If you are ever in downtown L.A., keep your eyes open for a police officer old enough to be your grandfather, bald with a bushy gray moustache. That's me. I'll take you to Phillippe's for cheesecake - my treat. Good luck.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:01 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,226,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
And I think people who wait for the walk light to come on when there is not any traffic coming are idiots.

I'm shocked people get ticketed for it in California.
LOL Um okay...it's illegal to J walk so people who obey the laws are idiots? That makes a lot of sense. People get hit all the time by cars. Can you imagine if it WASN'T illegal how many more people would be killed? Think about it.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:11 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,609,594 times
Quote:
LOL Um okay...it's illegal to J walk so people who obey the laws are idiots? That makes a lot of sense. People get hit all the time by cars. Can you imagine if it WASN'T illegal how many more people would be killed? Think about it.
Yeah, if it's 3 AM and the streets are completely deserted but I decide to cross before the walk sign, I'm going to get hit by a car. To use your words, "That makes a lot of sense". It makes more sense for me to stand there pushing that button like moron even if there's no traffic coming my way. Sorry, but I actually like to think when I'm walking. Safe jaywalking requires one to observe and analyze the traffic situation around them, which is what I do. Waiting for the walk signal every time regardless of the traffic circumstances requires no thinking, and I refuse to not put my brain to use. You've never lived on the East Coast have you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles