Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 08:38 PM

7 posts, read 17,043 times

Advertisements

Life long easterner moving July to start a surgical fellowship position at LAC/USC. Read all the easy background on L.A. neighborhoods but appreciate any suggestions to help narrow the rental search. Looking for somewhere that would appeal to a single, young professional with strong interest in funk/rock/reggae/jazz/hip hop, dive bars, second hand bookstores, decent coffee, the arts, and cultural diversity and any easy access to outdoor pursuits. Have no problem with "transitional" or "non-family friendly" communities. Not much a a commuter (bracing myself for the shock) so any advice as to that aspect appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 11:22 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,646,808 times
No shock at all. You have a central work location as USC/County which is just east of downtown LA.

The areas that most fit in with your description are not far away. That is Silverlake and Los Feliz. On the worst traffic days, you have about a 25 minute drive from Los Feliz to USC medical, all on the streets(Sunset Bl to Cesar Chavez to Mission Drive). Because its a bit aways from the freeways, even on good days it will take 15-20 minutes to drive to work, even though the total drive is probably only about 8 miles.

Lots of nightclubs and bars there and in neighboring Hollywood. A number of locations with easy walks to groceries, coffee shops, book stores, etc. Lots of hiking areas in Griffith Park, and in the Hollywood Hills and Studio City side of things. Lots of other outdoor places not far away.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:50 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,778,446 times
I would also suggest living in downtown. Not as close to Griffith Park, of course, but it (and other outdoor opportunities) will still be easily accessible. (and it's that much closer to work! extremely easy by public transportation, too)

Old 01-31-2010, 12:42 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,229,577 times
it sounds like hipsterville silver lake would be a perfect match for you. echo park and atwater village might also be good options.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:43 PM

Default Thanks

Fantastic. Thanks for the advice/suggestions. My only time in L.A consisted of a whirlwind 36 hours around my interview last August so I would be fairly lost without your assistance.

I have two weeks between my licensing exam and starting work July 1 to move. Had hoped to travel down for 3-4 days early May to secure a place.

Some additional questions:

1. Lease/contract: is looking for a place early May with intended occupancy July 1 feasible or will I need to secure it starting June 1?

2. I'm fluent with the usual pattern of arrive in a city, pick up the rental papers and race around until something is found etc. but are there any rental agents/realtors/management companies that might facilitate the process? I do not mind paying fees or commissions should that make my life less hectic.

3. Finally, any hints as to ballpark rental rates in Silver Lake/Los Feliz or Downtown for a nice to higher end 2 bedroom or at least 1 + den. Be helpful to have a general sense as I look.

Thanks. You guys are awesome.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:52 PM

132 posts, read 365,208 times
On points 1 and 2, it's a renters market right now, you won't need an agent. When I came here I actually rented my place from the internet (not always a good idea, but if it's a rental complex, pretty safe to do.). You can probably at least identify some places to try from the internet and organize your housing trip that way, especially if you are looking for high-end, those places all seem to have sites. Leases here seem to start on all sorts of days of the month, it doesn't seem to be a "first of the month" town. I doubt you'd have to pay for June with it being a renters market right now, there is lots of vacancy everywhere, and rents are coming down.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:41 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,646,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destruktor View Post

1. Lease/contract: is looking for a place early May with intended occupancy July 1 feasible or will I need to secure it starting June 1?
Not positive, but there are a lot of vacancies right now. If you are signing a year lease and have the potential to be a good stable renter, you may have much more leniency with this.

Quote:
2. I'm fluent with the usual pattern of arrive in a city, pick up the rental papers and race around until something is found etc. but are there any rental agents/realtors/management companies that might facilitate the process? I do not mind paying fees or commissions should that make my life less hectic.
Los Angeles Apartments, Orange County Apartments, and San Diego Apartments

Quote:
3. Finally, any hints as to ballpark rental rates in Silver Lake/Los Feliz or Downtown for a nice to higher end 2 bedroom or at least 1 + den. Be helpful to have a general sense as I look.
-Silver Lake/Los Feliz or
-Downtown
-Higher end
-2 bedroom

I'd guess around $2K just off the top of my head.

Be aware that Silver Lake and Los Feliz is one of the oldest parts of Los Angeles and finding "luxury" or "high end" place may be a bit difficult. It will be a little cheaper than downtown. Downtown, you will sacrifice some of the sense of neighborhood that exists in Silver Lake, but you will have nicer places to live in and will be closer to work. The three areas of downtown that have walkability and you may be interested in are

South Park(area near Staples Center)
Historic Core(area of lofts along Main and Spring Street...grittier and not new like South Park)
Little Toyko...particularly near 2nd and San Pedro(upcomming area, closest of all to your work...10 minute drive even in rush hour).

Old 02-01-2010, 11:08 AM

736 posts, read 2,298,884 times
Quote:
Fantastic. Thanks for the advice/suggestions. My only time in L.A consisted of a whirlwind 36 hours around my interview last August so I would be fairly lost without your assistance.

I have two weeks between my licensing exam and starting work July 1 to move. Had hoped to travel down for 3-4 days early May to secure a place.

Some additional questions:

Thanks. You guys are awesome.
Congrats on your move to LA. I agree with the suggestions you've received so far: Los Feliz, Silverlake, Echo Park, and dowtown LA all fit the bill for what you are looking for. I have lived in both Los Feliz and downtown LA before. Both great but also very different.

Let me try to help you with your specific questions:

1. That is generally NOT a problem. Rental market is soft and plenty of landlords will be happy to hold a place for a well qualified tenant such as yourself.

2. The only part of LA where I have seen realtors/agents get involved in the LEASING process is downtown LA and even there it is NOT that common. If I can dig up the names of a few firms I know of I'll post them for you. Again, these would be firms that specialize in downtown LA only.

3. Ballpark rental rates for high quality 2 bdrm or 1 plus den are $1,800 - $2,400....depending on views, age of building, and degrees of amenities.

Probably more housing options to choose from in downtown LA given how much redevelopment has occurred there in the last 5 years. At the same time, Los Feliz offers quieter residential areas with great views of the Hollywood Hills. Yet, it is a very CENTRAL location with good access to the "hip" parts of town. And Los Feliz is a very eclectic area istself with great restaurants, bars, etc. There is also a subway stop at Vermont/Sunset Blvd. which connects to Hollywood and Downtown.

Downtown LA is more truly "urban" with all the good and bad elements conjured up by that term. Good: museuems, art galleries, cool historic building, and bars, all in walking distance. Bad: Noise, parking is tight, homeless issues.

Good luck.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:20 AM

736 posts, read 2,298,884 times
As I mentioned in my previous post, the downtown LA area DOES have realtors/brokers who will help you find a place to LEASE. Here is a link to one such firm. The guys name is Bill Cooper..."loft expert" in downtown LA.

I have NO connection to this guy and can't say a good or bad thing about him. But as a former resident and downtown property owner I have seen his name around so I am sure he knows the market well.

Los Angeles Lofts for Sale from The Loft Expert!

Old 02-01-2010, 05:34 PM

Default Again thanks

Thanks again all. The advice has been exceptional and hugely appreciated. I am very excited to have the opportunity to live in such an iconic city. Looking forward to participating in the forum and maybe at some point having something useful to contribute myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles