Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 06:14 PM

19 posts, read 91,031 times

Advertisements

Thanks again everyone - it's good to get a realistic picture of what to expect. And sorry gypsy I didn't mean to leave you out (should pay more attention to all the posters names), your feedback is also very much welcome. I must say I knew it would be hard, but not as hard as it seems it will be from your stories.

It almost seems like it would be easier to be the star in the film than do PR for it..lol. That's never a good sign. Sounds like miami or another major centre might be better job wise, but I have to admit I like the idea of being near the action. Film and theatre has always fascinated me, and I don't mean celebrities, I mean the actually creative process of a film or play going from conception to final product. I minored in drama in university and that industry has always tugged at my heart strings. I love the idea of living and working right near the studio lots where it all happens. I thought picking something like PR in film would be a little more realistic and a better life than being the director or actor. Seems I may have been mistaken..lol.

And $24,000 a yr - eek that's terrible. I make more than that now (even with the exchange rate) and the city I live in doesn't have as high of rent. About $800 (a steal of a deal) to $1000 (what most people pay) for a studio or 1 bdrm. Seems like LA is around $1300 for a studio in a somewhat decent area. I don't mind living on a budget but that cost of living to wage ratio is just ridiculous. Sounds like 40-50k is what you need as a single person (living without a roomie - heck even without a roomie) to have some quality of life in the LA area.

And like you said marketing and PR is long hours (even at my current job it is), which makes it hard to get a second part time job to supplement income.

Also interesting what you say about job hunting from afar. I knew they wouldn't pay to fly someone out (that would be a pipe dream - especially for a junior position) but I thought they would at least be accommodating enough to do a phone interview and then I could pay to fly down for an in-person if they were serious about me. Perhaps I will need to rethink this strategy.

Also what about other companies affiliated with the studios/agencies? Are they a bit better pay wise and working conditions to start out and then move to studio when you can jump into a better position? Or do you pretty much have to start out at one of studios and try and work your way up to get into the good positions?

Love to hear any success stories to get the other side. Anyone, anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 01:49 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,273,975 times
I came to LA in 2005 as a result of many requests from my fellow countrymen who had been lured over here for global fame and big bucks. When they arrived they found it very difficult to work with the locals.
As I stated in my last post I began in this industry at sixteen years of age, I am now very nearly 52 and apart from a few academic detours its the only thing I have ever done.
If I had to do it now I just don't know, I've “worked with“ kids from very impressive schools here who did not know who Mary Pickford was!!
My son wants into the industry and has all doors open for him but he has decided to study Physics at Imperial in London and then see what happens (I think that alone speaks volumes).
My advice, trust no living soul,thoroughly know and understand the history of Cinema all the mistakes and successes have been made and remade over the years and finally trust your own intuition on everything people,places,jobs,deals....everything.
If you have an unshakeable belief and trust in yourself eventually people will believe and trust in you, probably at their peril but "hey" this is the Entertainment Business!!

Old 12-05-2009, 02:30 AM

485 posts, read 1,705,226 times
I definitely don't want to discourage you from following your dreams, and it does seem like you are very realistic about how hard it will be to break into the entertainment pr game. I, too, have a passion for films and especially for Hollywood history. It was the strong desire to be able to walk on the lots that Clark Gable, Jean Harlow (and yes, Mary Pickford, Impala!) walked on that made me drop everything and go for it. I wasn't in it for the celebrity aspect, either. I really couldn't care less about Brad Pitt, but I do love the creative process of filmmaking, too. I always say that I have the "entertainment curse" and that I wish I could just be happy living in Iowa working as a bank teller! I have lived in so many places, but L.A. is the only place that really feels like home to me. Nothing has ever thrilled me as much as walking around on studio lots has - it's just amazing to me how much history has taken place on them.

If you have the same passion, I say go for it! If this is what you love, no other career will make you happy and fulfilled in life (at least in my experience). Who am I to discourage dreams? I am moving back to L.A. this month (AGAIN) to join LAVC's screenwriting program. I leave L.A. alot, but always seem to come back. I aim to get back on the lots again someday - but as a screenwriter this time! You never know, you might move to L.A. and pursue entertainment pr only to find that your dreams have changed into something even bigger and better.

Ok, I'll stop going on and on now. Anyone else have any advice? ;P

Last edited by gypsystar; 12-05-2009 at 02:44 AM..

Old 12-06-2009, 07:02 PM

Gypsy, Impala - it has been great getting perspective from you. Like you, Gypsy, I think I have the "entertainment curse". I know that if I don't at least pursue it to see if it is for me I will always wonder. And perhaps I will realize after all that it is not the life for me - but you never know until you try!

Impala - I will definitely brush up on my film history - although i do know enough already to know who Mary Pickford is A Canadian too! It is interesting that several of the original major American hollywood players were actually Canadian. But I digress. As for studying up on the mistakes made in the past, etc. Where do you think would be a good place to start to do some in depth research? I think this is great advice. Always good to know the business inside and out, no matter what field you are in.

Also, I know I will have a long way to go with connections. Any suggestions on good job boards to look at that have job postings? Associations to look at joining? I won't be able to move there for a while, but I figure it's a good idea to get a list of good job boards, associations, etc for when I do start sending out resumes and seriously looking.

Any other suggestions of what I can do from where i am living now to help prep for when I finish school and have some resources saved would be great!

Old 12-06-2009, 09:44 PM

95 posts, read 281,564 times
Entertainmentcareers.net is a really good job site. My old place of employment hired a couple of people through there. Even if you can't get entertainment experience before hand, make sure you have plenty of general PR experience as well as a great portfolio. A good cover letter can also make or break getting an interview. That is going to be the first thing they see so make sure you sell yourself!

Old 12-06-2009, 09:59 PM

Thanks Melissa! I actually already found the entertainmentcareers.net site, but it is good to know it is a reliable site and that I am on the right track.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:11 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,162,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrogirl26 View Post
I am a young public relations professional currently based in Canada. I am interested in moving to the Los Angeles area to focus on building a career as a publicist in the motion picture industry. Ideally I would like to end up working for one of the film studios or one of the major PR firms specializing in entertainment clients (like PMK/HBH or Rogers & Cowan).

However, from the research I have done it seems unlikely to get in with the major industry players in a junior level position. I would love to hear from anyone who works in PR in the film biz, or even anyone who just works in the film industry period, who might know of some smaller to mid-size businesses that hire junior level PR people that would be a good jumping-off point. Perhaps a company that the film studios or major PR firms look to when hiring staff, or companies that do some contract work for the more major players. I already have some work experience in the field - so looking for paid position, not an intership.

A bit of background on me in case you were wondering - I am mid-twenties, have an arts degree in Sociology from a major Canadian University and I am currently finishing a diploma program in Public Relations (one class left to complete). I already work in the PR industry doing events, marketing and public relations for a publishing company. Have about 2-3 years total experience in Marketing/PR.

Any suggestions would be welcome!
In 1996 I worked at a 6 month intern position with a large production company in LA. My salary would not have kept a mouse alive, but the experience was incredible.

I got the position because I "knew someone" in the business. It is a tough business to break into because, as you can imagine, there are a lot of people out there wanting to do the same thing, and there are only so many jobs.

If you can find an intern program like I did, it might be easier for you to break in. You might try taking a couple of courses through UCLA to see if you can make the necessary connections.

Another option to try is to go in through the back door. Get a job at a studio/production company, etc., in a less than stellar position (working at the cafeteria at MGM for instance), and try to get to know some people through your work. It is a long shot, but it has worked in the past.

Nothing is impossible and I would be the last person to discourage someone. Like I said, it was an experience that I will never forget. The important thing is to move there and get to know as many people in the business as you can, just like anything else. It is who you know - not what you know- that matters.

good luck

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-07-2009, 03:35 PM

20yrsinBranson - You are right about it being a tough business to crack - more so than I originally anticipated even. I am hoping to avoid the unpaid internship as I already have 3 yrs experience (just not in film - not too much in that industry in my city). I will have certification in PR before I head down to LA but courses through UCLA is still a good suggestion and I will definitely look into that if I end up moving to the LA area. Never hurts to keep on top of your profession. No such thing as ever being done school IMO. I would imagine the profs would also have some good pointers of how to go about making some connections (or be good connections themselves).

Old 12-07-2009, 03:58 PM

304 posts, read 932,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrogirl26 View Post
20yrsinBranson - You are right about it being a tough business to crack - more so than I originally anticipated even. I am hoping to avoid the unpaid internship as I already have 3 yrs experience (just not in film - not too much in that industry in my city). I will have certification in PR before I head down to LA but courses through UCLA is still a good suggestion and I will definitely look into that if I end up moving to the LA area. Never hurts to keep on top of your profession. No such thing as ever being done school IMO. I would imagine the profs would also have some good pointers of how to go about making some connections (or be good connections themselves).
--------------------------------
In any industry it pays to know people. In show biz that is extra important.
If you can swing it, I would move here, get whatever industry job you can get, even if it is as an intern, and be useful to people.

There is a jaded old saying: "those who do, do; those who don't, teach".
Many times unemployed actors et al go to teach because they have been unsucccesful.

There are thousands of people a year who come here to be in show biz in one aspect or another. Your willingness to do whatever it takes to be good at your profession and know everyone will take you a long way. Find a good firm and hitch up with them.

Good luck!

Old 12-07-2009, 08:26 PM

485 posts, read 1,705,226 times
I think temping at the studios is a good way to go - that is how I got my full-time Warner Bros. job. You may have to temp in a dept. other than public relations, but studio experience is studio experience. It will look good on your resume, even if it is through a temp agency. You'll learn how to roll calls, do expense reports and handle all of those other fun assistant duties, which are the same no matter what dept. you are in; you'll also be able to prove that you can handle a stressful studio environment.

Here's a list of temp agencies, although it may be outdated by now:
ACTING DEPOT: Temporary Agencies. MGM was lovely to temp for and I think they went through Ultimate Staffing. The upside to temping is that you get paid (unlike interning) and I was even offered health insurance during a 6 month assignment.

Another good job site is www.showbizjobs.com. Oh, and keep up on the trades - Variety and Hollywood Reporter. During entertainment pr interviews, I was always asked what publications I read.

Last edited by gypsystar; 12-07-2009 at 08:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: