Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 12:57 AM

110 posts, read 348,016 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am newly moved to LA and know very little about the neighborhoods. In Hawthorne, I know some areas are dicey and Hollyglen is preferred but can someone offer specifics on the neighborhood of West 138th Street in Hawthorne between Jefferson and Prairie? ( It is east of Hawthorne Blvd, North of Rosecrans and South of West El Segundo Blvd.) I am looking at a rental in that area.

I am most concerned about personal safety and break-ins and an on-line crime mapper indicates the 90250 zip has a high incidence of property crimes and rapes. I have driven around the specific area I am asking about and the block and surrounding blocks seem nice and quiet but you never know...

I have two dogs and would likely be out after dark in the evenings for their evening walks so I want to be able to do this safely.

Any input would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 09:07 PM

help???

Old 12-01-2009, 10:06 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,991 times
Generally, doesn't sound good. Sorry.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:33 AM

135 posts, read 476,444 times
This area is heavy with a mix of Hispanic and Black families, with a few Asian families as well. You won't be living in constant dread but you will need to be aware of your surroundings. Try not to put too much high-end stuff in the place and be discreet when you throw packaging away. Shread important documents before you discard them. Do all the safety conscious things you would anywhere else. Make sure all safety windows and doors are secure and in proper working order.

This area is covered by the LA Sherriff department Lenox division but I've seen Hawthorne, Lawndale, LAPD, Gardena cops in thorough there too. Both Rosecrans and Prairie are busy with traffic at all times. The Park is busy at weekends as many guys use the baseball fields. If you don't have off street parking expect to drive around looking for a space alot if you get off at regular times. While walking the dogs try to not to wear or have anything on that's too posh or flash and you'll be alright.

Search CrimeReports.com

Old 12-02-2009, 09:16 AM

Thank you both. apolly, I really appreciate the information- it is along the lines of what I was thinking. It seems doable with some major cautions. I really appreciate the throroughness of the answer. If anyone else has any thoughts, please chime in!

Old 12-02-2009, 09:23 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
Just out of curiosity, what kind of rental rates are you looking at in that area....?

Old 12-02-2009, 04:12 PM

Rentals are silly expensive, even in Hawthorne. The homes that meet my requirements generally run in the minimum 2200 range. But I am looking for a detached home with at lease 2 bedroooms so that may affect my price. I have seen some for less and even a duplex that was 1750. It was really ncie but on a definitely dicey block. Generally, Westchester is a lot nicer.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:22 PM

24 posts, read 101,321 times
Honestly, I would not spend $2200 to live in Hawthorne. Crime is high. If you plan to be out alone at night with your dogs, unless your dogs are huge german shepherds or something equally intimidating, Hawthorne isn't really a good choice. In a neighborhood like that, trouble finds you. To make matters worse, you'd be surrounded by equally bad if not worse areas in Inglewood, Lennox and Gardena.

Westchester is much, much nicer than Hawthorne. Try looking in Torrance, El Segundo, Culver City and the inland part of Redondo. Prices are higher but you could get lucky, and personally I'd happily pay more rent, or take less house, and not have to worry about safety.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:25 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
Agreed with above. Doesnt sound like Hawthorn is the best choice.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:31 AM

Thanks all. Sounds like good advice and I will take it. It is disappointing though. I really like the hosue and have been looking intensively for a month. But for the surrounding neighborhood it meets all of my requirements. That is the sort of desperation that leads to bad decisions, though. Finding good housing in L.A is hard!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles