Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 08:27 AM

95 posts, read 281,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
Aren't those jobs the ones that puts out free email addresses like Yahoo and Gmail as their contact info,? because all of those are scams.
Not necessarily. My place of employment created a gmail address a few years ago when posting for a position just because they didn't want their work address flooded with spam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 08:51 AM

543 posts, read 3,078,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa R. View Post
Not necessarily. My place of employment created a gmail address a few years ago when posting for a position just because they didn't want their work address flooded with spam.
There's no need to put out a real address. Most real employers use a one-time craiglist email like this:

Reply to: job-qpmyy-1489986615@craigslist.org

Last edited by Kansoku; 12-02-2009 at 09:10 AM..

Old 12-02-2009, 09:00 AM

4,116 posts, read 3,147,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch323 View Post
So basically I'm 19 and need to get out of my house and am planning on moving to LA this January. I moved to Chicago in '02 but grew up in Playa del Rey. I know I wont be able to afford to live in Playa so any other suggestions? Where do all the struggling artists and such with little income live? I have $2500 saved and plan on waiting tables for a while once I get out there.

California with $2500 please be very careful and think twice about your going to do. Good Luck to you buddy

Old 12-02-2009, 11:59 AM

329 posts, read 1,047,715 times
it's funny....when people advise you not to do it, sometimes it just steels your resolve even more.

just do it.

but i hope you can understand why, from a completely objective angle, it's not a good idea. but i also know, from having parents who were always afraid of letting me make my own mistakes, that a man needs to have that kind of valuable experience. what doesn't kill you will make you stronger.

so just go out and do it.

but PLEASE make sure you have some sort of backup plan in case none of it works out. it's okay to be bold and adventurous...just don't be stupid, you know?

Old 12-19-2009, 03:06 PM

213 posts, read 823,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy2 View Post
Just for the record my, real, name is not Cassidy; just using it to post.
Honestly, bashing my name??? I can tell your a real deep thinker and have alot going for yourself. Rock on Dude!!!
Just for the record, Cassidy, who likes, to, use commas, I am no "dude". And yes, I do have a lot going for myself, seeing as I am excelling in my studies at a tier 1 university. My statement still stands: I'd be bitter too, if my name was Cassidy.

To avoid spamming up this thread any further, I'll stop here. Hutch323 - as much as we're advising you against your ill-prepared gameplan, good luck on your move and report back to us with an update on your new lifestyle as a hobo! Okay, just kidding on that last part.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:42 PM

12 posts, read 26,459 times
The move is coming close. Any last minute, useful advice? Thanks.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:19 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
My only advice is that if after a few months of not making any money or finding a job where you can sustain yourself - LEAVE and come back again at a later time.

Wait for the city to recuperate financially (whenever that happens), then come back with a game plan in tact. Don't make the mistake so many others have done by staying beyond your time while sinking further and further into debt.

Good luck.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:25 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,769,405 times
Quote:
Avoid debt at all costs. Always remember your Dickens:

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."

P.S. I think for the rest of my life, I'm not going to be able to read the phrase "19 year old male" without immediately thinking "Bruno". :-D

Old 01-06-2010, 12:52 AM

50 posts, read 124,976 times
What type of artist are you? If you're truly talented and strong willed you can make it on any amount of money here. The negative responses you're getting are from the one's that moved without a plan and are now suffering the consequences.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:55 AM

40 posts, read 94,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sms1967 View Post
I'd move somewhere you can struggle and get an education at the same time. California isn't a fun place to work unless you have a degree. Lots of colleges in greater SoCal.
You do have to be talented in CA. I don't know about the degree. I never had one and got along pretty well in SOCA for 40 years. The problem right now is the economy. However, that may make it easier to find someplace to live. You may not find someplace to work.

If I were young, had a clean record, I would apply for city or county job. Fire Dept. Police Dept. Most of those jobs only require a GED. Keep in mind a police officer in LA right now makes about $75,000 a year before overtime. Work 30 years and retire at almost full pay. Tell me what college job gives you that benefit.

Retire and leave the city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles