Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 12:44 PM

56 posts, read 133,316 times

Advertisements

Husband just started job near LAX. Looking to lease home.

Concerns:

Relatively close to LAX
Prefer house/town home/condo
Pet friendly
Safe community
Low cost
Ethnic diversity is welcomed

We were paying $1400 for 2/2 condo in Rancho Cucamonga. Though we know cost will be higher over here, still wanting reasonably priced property.

Any suggestions will be welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 01:29 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,995,559 times
Westchester, Playa Del Rey, and Playa Vista come to mind. Have you checked the market on WestsideRentals.com or Craigslist?

Old 10-20-2009, 01:38 PM

I first checked on Craigslist but not being familiar with all the names of subdivisions/towns was a bit daunting. I will go back to it and also check out WestsideRentals. Thanks for sharing some areas. I'll check them out. We are in Hawthorne at a Comfort Inn and though I really can't tell about crime, I do see what looks to be a lot of homeless people. Otherwise, I kind of like the the little neighborhood. Lots of pride in yards, etc. but some run down looking apartments all mixed in.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:16 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,898,305 times
If you're looking to lease in that area, look west of the 405, east of Aviation Blvd., north of Rosecrans Ave., and South of El Segundo Blvd. It's a nice little area bordering Manhattan Beach and El Segundo on the west and Hawthorne to the east. If you have a child(ren), they can, likely, go to El Segundo schools.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:28 PM

we drove around el segundo tonight... pretty neat area. thanks for offering the boundaries.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:29 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,591,959 times
El Segundo is good ... Westchester is also a good area.

Are you north/south/east of LAX?

Old 10-21-2009, 02:17 PM

My husband is at LAX and we're new to area. I'll check out Westchester. Thanks!

Old 10-21-2009, 04:41 PM

304 posts, read 931,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjinca View Post
Husband just started job near LAX. Looking to lease home.

Concerns:

Relatively close to LAX
Prefer house/town home/condo
Pet friendly
Safe community
Low cost
Ethnic diversity is welcomed

We were paying $1400 for 2/2 condo in Rancho Cucamonga. Though we know cost will be higher over here, still wanting reasonably priced property.

Any suggestions will be welcomed.
---------------------------------------------------
Firstly, welcome to LA!

The last leases I saw in Westchester were around $4500 for a small home.

The cheapest thing I saw recently in El Segundo was a small condo for around $2000. But mostly things were much higher. I was delighted to see how El Segundo looked..neat and clean.

Recently I saw condos for lease in Culver City near Fox Hills Mall for less. Condos galore! Many of them have not sold so are being rented out.
I dont mean to worry you, but make sure they are not in pre-foreclosure so they dont bail and run off with your deposit. perhaps your agent will have it held in escrow.

Lomita is Torrance adjacent and much cheaper.
Hope this helps.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:09 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,591,959 times
El Segundo is nice because they are an independent city (own fire and PD) .... where as westchester is City of LA. I have several friends who LOVE Westchester, and there are very nice areas, although some get kind of rough as you head east on Manchester. Personally, I'd want to be west of Sepulveda and North of Manchester, but i'm sure there are nice pockets of stuff elsewhere.

Parts of El Segundo are loud (air traffic), but if your husband works in the industry, you guys might not mind.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:55 PM

more great input. really am so appreciative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles