Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2009, 01:29 PM

30 posts, read 92,883 times

Advertisements

So, it looks like I may be commuting to Santa Monica. My dilema is to choose between two places. I am considering Sherman Oaks, where I am going to rent, and schools there seem to be fine. The other option is South Pasadena.
Which commute would be easier? I know that 405 and 110/10 are not the best ideas to commute at all, but those are my only affordable options (taking into consideration that I need good school for my son and ability to find 2bdr for 1600-1700)
On the flip side I am really concerned about such commute, even thinking to find say large 1bdr in Westwood/Beverly Hills area for the same money, but hoping it can be easier for the commute...

Any thoughts? Own experience?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 01:39 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,215,297 times
sherman oaks would be an easier commute, hands down!

Old 09-27-2009, 04:40 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,723,942 times
Sorry, but this seems a little strange to me. Santa Monica schools are good right?

See California School Performance Maps

How about a 1 bedroom in SM? Since you already seem aware that LA traffic sucks especially in the areas you are looking into why not save yourself some grief and live closer to work. I mean just SM Blvd alone has terrible traffic during rush hour, then throw in a drive from the Valley and that just sounds bad and Pasedena a true nightmare. Then there are accidents, etc... on those freeways on a regular basis, plus wear and tear on your car not to mention you.

Where do you live now? If you are a single parent which it sounds like you are based on your post, then the closer to home/your son's school the better. I mean life will be busy enough as it is don't you think? I speak from personal experience in growing up in a similar situation. Your son will remember the time you get to spend together far more than the size place you guys live in. Somehow my mom figured out how to live within blocks of the beach (Hermosa) on a secretaries income. I never had my own room (fold out couch instead) but that was ok with me. I loved growing up in such a fun and nice area with great schools.

My 2c,

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 09-27-2009 at 05:50 PM..

Old 09-27-2009, 11:29 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,512,764 times
MtnSurfer, that was an excellent post. I'd rep you again if it would let me.

You can find a place in Santa Monica now that has 2 bdrms and fits your budget. driving from the valley to SM is a huge pain. The traffic leaving SM is gridlock at times.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:44 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,758,141 times
Definitely do not live in South Pasadena if you're working in Santa Monica. You'd be spending all your free time commuting. I lived in and loved South Pasadena and it does have excellent schools, but it's not worth the extremely long drive. I don't know about the commute from Sherman Oaks, but am assuming it's got to be better than South Pasadena.

I thought Santa Monica's schools were considered quite good, although I'm not familiar with them myself. I echo the recommendation to stay as close to work, and at least take a look at the local schools before discounting that option. Not only would it be convenient for your work, but SM is considered by many people to be a pretty great place to live.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:14 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,273,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inrila View Post
So, it looks like I may be commuting to Santa Monica. My dilema is to choose between two places. I am considering Sherman Oaks, where I am going to rent, and schools there seem to be fine. The other option is South Pasadena.
Which commute would be easier? I know that 405 and 110/10 are not the best ideas to commute at all, but those are my only affordable options (taking into consideration that I need good school for my son and ability to find 2bdr for 1600-1700)
On the flip side I am really concerned about such commute, even thinking to find say large 1bdr in Westwood/Beverly Hills area for the same money, but hoping it can be easier for the commute...

Any thoughts? Own experience?

Thank you!
http://www.smmusd.org/

Old 09-28-2009, 06:25 AM

689 posts, read 2,583,915 times
Commute from South Pas to Santa Monica is brutal, period. From Sherman Oaks to SanMo is a little easier, but it's the 405. As others have said, live where you work or as close as possible. If you can't find a place in Santa Monica try Culver City. You can also look around in Brentwood, Palisades, etc. Better to do the leg work now and find the place nearby that you want. Or settle for something smaller, sign a 1 year lease and continue to look until you find a more suitable option.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:11 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,082,714 times
If you are moving into an area controlled by LAUSD:

Use School Finder to determine the zoned schools for an address. Then use Greatschools and/or Schooldigger to determine the local reputation of the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles