Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 11:08 AM

167 posts, read 553,610 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to the LA area in the next few months. From a finding an apartment prespective, do you think it would be earier to find one for Dec 1, Dec 15 of Jan 1st - or does it really not matter? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 11:11 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,463,512 times
With all the vacancies right now, it shouldn't matter.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:25 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
If a place is available they will rent to you when ever you decide to move in. Your rent will more than likely be prorated, meaning you will pay for a full months rent the first month and pay for the amount of days you were in the apartment on the second month or some other variation of that.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:31 PM

132 posts, read 364,749 times
The place I moved into has vacancies on all sorts of odd days of the month, when I was looking here they pulled up the listings for the exact day I was arriving in town. Compared to other cities I have lived, looking for a place here is both much more last-minute than other places, and the dates of occupancy don't necessarily begin (or even end!) the first or 15th of a month.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:31 PM

530 posts, read 1,131,440 times
Right now there are sooooooo many vacancies : YOU ARE LUCKY!! Landlords are real desperate right now. Most are negotiable and some are even giving things away such as: flat screen t.v., 1/2 deposit, and one free month rent. The ball is in your court.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:39 AM

Well, my company is relocating me from my NYC. (Starting date to be confirmed next week). But they are flying me out for a week to look for places in advance - so I won't need to sign and move in the next day or so.

So say I wanted to move in around Dec 1st - what would be the best time to look for a place? I am used to here in NYC where vacancies aren't advertised until less than a month out.

Thanks!

Old 09-18-2009, 09:43 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,745,882 times
The second week of November would probably work well. Too late and you'll run into Thanksgiving, but too early and either the best new vacanies won't be advertised yet, or the landlord will try to pressure you into paying for an extra couple of weeks you don't need. On the other hand, they won't be able to put too much pressure on you, given that the market is in your favor. In general LA is also a last-minute rental kind of place.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:41 PM

2 posts, read 53,731 times
You're so right EscapeCalifornia. There are a lot of vacancies right now. It seems as though every other house or apt on each block has a for rent sign. I'm usually one to stay put for years. Don't like moving. I was at my last place for 3yrs. decided to downgrade to a smaller place when gas pricess were high. I had moved in Mid Jan, almost 2yrs ago, and had my rent prorated on move in. But like everyone's been saying, at this point, it doesn't matter. Landlords are looking to fill in their apt and houses now. With the economy, people aren't really moving unless they have to. I've been looking around myself on Craigslist and just driving around town.

End of October early November before holidays come in. Most people don't really like moving around that time (holidays) so you'll find some good deals.

God Luck!

Old 09-19-2009, 08:31 PM

95 posts, read 281,446 times
I'd say look the first week in November. Most apartments ask tenants to give 30 days notice so by then they should know what will be available the first of December.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:11 AM

Thanks...so papers at work are signed - have to start work in LA on Jan 4th so for an apt for Jan 1st time does the second week of December work best for coming out there to look? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: