Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 10:50 PM

5 posts, read 26,496 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was considering moving into a building on the 5000 block of West Adams, near La Brea Ave, just off the 10 fwy. Can anyone tell me if this area is ok. Like if I just use common sense and not get in trouble, not leave valuables in the car, should not freak that it's la? I am a female, gonna be living in the place alone. I also drive a large vehicle, so I may find myslef walking at night back to my place after searching for parking. I read what I am typing, and I can hear the fear, lol, but I just want some feedback from someone who knows this area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 11:49 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,627,657 times
Not a very good area, albeit near the border of gentrified areas. Yes you should have concerns walking from your car to your apartment. Like all urban living in Los Angeles, you need to develop that "sixth sense". There are things that should make the hairs on your neck stand up, and if they don't, you are too clueless to be living in urban LA and will become a target.

Additionally, you are only a couple miles from THE very worst area of LA...near the LAPD Southwest station.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:51 AM

122 posts, read 539,392 times
I used to live close to that area, more towards Fairfax, a friend of mine still lives one street over from Hauser, and my sister lived on Hauser just north of the 10. It's hit or miss and there's is definitely a lot of sketch in the area. Being a guy in the area it was fine, we had no break-ins but stuff definitely went down on streets further towards Hauser (including someone getting shot behind my sister's apt.). From my experience, it really depends on your immediate neighborhood and your neighbors.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:55 AM

122 posts, read 539,392 times
I would add that there are perks to the area such as being in a location central to downtown, the 10 freeway going west, Culver City and La Cienega going towards LAX and the Southbay- not to mention some really good bbq places like J&J's.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:06 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,550,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2la View Post
Hi,

I was considering moving into a building on the 5000 block of West Adams, near La Brea Ave, just off the 10 fwy. Can anyone tell me if this area is ok. Like if I just use common sense and not get in trouble, not leave valuables in the car, should not freak that it's la? I am a female, gonna be living in the place alone. I also drive a large vehicle, so I may find myslef walking at night back to my place after searching for parking. I read what I am typing, and I can hear the fear, lol, but I just want some feedback from someone who knows this area.

Thanks!
If I were you, I'd want either room mates or a large dog. I'm female, old in the way I can imagine what it would be like if I were you... Just a thought

Kate

Old 09-19-2009, 05:04 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,166 times
That's a very sketchy area imho ...

As far as freaking just because it's LA - no, there are plenty of safe places in LA. That one, though, I wouldn't especially consider as one of them.

I wouldn't like to live there as a single female, walking at night from a distant parking place.

Of course it's up to you, your budget, and your comfort level... is that the only place you can afford?

Last edited by timelesschild; 09-19-2009 at 05:12 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 05:26 PM

938 posts, read 4,093,697 times
It's a fairly decent neighborhood, with great access to freeways and N/S thoroughfares, and stellar architecture of varying styles, sprinkled in and around..though moreso to the East.

As others have said, you definitely need to keep your guard up. While it's not the worst neighborhood in the city, it's not the best, either. There's also a pretty good Nicaraguan restaurant on La Brea just south of Washington over there.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:35 PM

52 posts, read 196,711 times
Its ok. There are some nice houses around there and the Normandie Bakery is cool. I work close to that area and drive thru it daily and often late at night. And to be honest the area is getting less sketchy. We don't get tagged with gang graffiti anymore and I don't see prostitutes wandering the area at night (well not as much anymore). The area right around Jefferson and La Cienega, I am guessing, will improve the most over the next several years once the rail line is finished (scheduled for next year). I imagine there will be a lot of small stores opening up around there. But that is a guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles