Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 07:55 PM

132 posts, read 366,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latchkey Kid View Post
I haven't been a Park La Brea unit in a decade, but I think they are fairly nice. You will certainly be in easy walking distance of plenty of things, you could probably avoid the car for weeks if not longer at a time. The only thing is you should probably be aware of your surroundings when you are out. The only friends I've had to get mugged in LA both lived in the area.
Can you give any specific safety advice to that area? (Don't mean to highjack somedaynow's thread, but if she's looking around at the options then that info would be useful to her too). Are there streets or areas around Park La Brea that one should avoid or know specific things about to stay safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 08:32 PM

143 posts, read 395,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa's Neighbor View Post
Can you give any specific safety advice to that area? (Don't mean to highjack somedaynow's thread, but if she's looking around at the options then that info would be useful to her too). Are there streets or areas around Park La Brea that one should avoid or know specific things about to stay safe?
Not that I know about, but the best people to ask our your neighbors as soon as you move in. They'll be friendly. I wouldn't feel unsafe walking around there especially when there are a lot of people out and about. But I'd keep an eye out going down quieter streets. But I do that anyhow. It's not that it's a bad area, just active at times.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:03 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,476,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
South Pasadena is great, but the bookstore options are limited. Still, it's pretty close to Vroman's, and the library is very nice. It certainly offers the walkability and the cafes.
Are you talking about the Huntington Library and Museum? Yeah, pretty gorgeous. And the Botanical Gardens. The OP made me curious about prevailing rents and I'm really surprised at the lower prices too. It must be true that rents are going down.

Another thread mentioned Culver City and I guess that might be a good option too. I dunno about bookstores but they've got a lot of good restaurants out there, and the Museum of Jurassic Technology. Actually, at the OP's budget the beach communities are also available at around her price. Hermosa and Redondo can be mellow but they are beach towns so there's that particular vibe about them. I suppose you'd have to visit to get a sense of personal fit. Also Westwood, where there's the great Mystery Bookstore (though it specializes in, you guessed it, ...).

Still, for bang for the buck and if being close in town isn't a priority, I'd check out Pasadena. (BTW, there's an admission fee to the Huntington but if you're saving money on rent the annual membership is probably worth it for regular access to those stunning gardens.) At your budget you might find an in-law cottage or even a small house for rent, close to amenities. Among those desired and mentioned: Caltech if you're a science wonk and Pasadena City College, home to KPCC, LA's NPR station. My only quibble with the area is it's hotter than the beach cities.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:02 PM

304 posts, read 934,679 times
Where to start with an answer!
LA is fantastic. It is huge so it is not for the faint of heart.
But you will find your favorite area, and there are many many.
Making a reconaissance trip is a good idea.
Make a plan, bring as much $ and work as you can.
Welcome in advance!
LA has everything.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:18 PM

10 posts, read 18,558 times
Again, thanks so much. Anyone else wanting to chime in or hijack the thread, please do, because this is exactly the type of insight I'm looking for. It's given me a place to start looking and after toying with craigslist and Googlemaps streetview for several hours, I am indeed starting to see affordable places in areas much like is in my (hopefully realistic) vision. It's sometimes hard to tell from the answers to questions in this forum from people who clearly have never supported themselves or lived in a city before what *I* should expect ("safe" is relative, right?), so this has been great.

And thanks, stuffavail, for the welcome. Some of the threads on here gave me doubts about my plans, since there are some discouraging statements. It's nice to see people who like it in LA.

I'm frankly nervous about the whole thing, having lived in the Northeast all my life and about to jump into self-employment with both feet in a new city...but by the time I actually move (a year or so), after moving expenses, I should have cash to live comfortably on, with a cushion, for a little more than a year (I've been saving a WHILE) and if this only lasts a year, I want it to happen in a place that's interesting, and fun, and different...and be an adventure where I can indulge my love of the outdoors more easily than I can from Boston while full-time employed. And if it doesn't work out and I love it in California, I'll figure something else out.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:19 PM

Oh, and I'm hoping for control of the fires...for all of your sakes and the sake of my (probable) future home!

Old 08-31-2009, 07:28 PM

I have lived in NH, MD, NM, GA, DC, and CA.
CA is my hometown and I am here now.

When you say outdoors do you mean hiking, sailing?
Or do you just relish being able to eat on the patio many months in the year as we do?

Old 08-31-2009, 07:35 PM

Hiking, primarily. I've also been known to bike and kayak, but hiking is my real love. In Boston, as I'm sure you know, the window of good outdoor weather isn't huge, and in order to get anywhere to really hike you have to drive a couple of hours. With my job, committing 4 hours of driving on a weekend day is *tough*. And that's if you're lucky enough to get good weather, which this year has been almost never.

I'd move north (my best friend runs a B&B in Vermont) but I'm also looking to stay close-ish to the ocean and get away from the snow...

Old 08-31-2009, 07:39 PM

Oh yes, the brush in the San Gabriel Range hasnt burned in a long time, most of it, so there is a lot of fuel. Thanks for the good vibes. The fire folks are doing an amazing job.
I live in the Hollywood Hills and our fire dept guys come exercise up and down our community stairs.
We love them. Last time we had a fire up there was in 1960. The LAFD was unprepared. Now they are fantastic and we love them.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:50 PM

My brother and sister in law bike like crazy. There are routes, parks etc they and their friends use. A bunch of them even did a nighttime bike ride thru the city in a huge group.

It is warm and dry here but you'll find rarely any mosquitoes which makes for lots of outside play time.

The LA west side is nearest the ocean (duh) and very popular. But there are all manner of places in and around LA that have interesting people, things to do, etc.

And there are boatloads of Easterners here. you will not be alone. :=)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles