Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 10:48 AM

897 posts, read 1,599,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Even on $14 an hour he will not be able to get much in the way of housing, depending on where he lives. Can you assure this guy Time Warner is hiring right now and has plenty of openings? It sounds like a great place to work, but I think the idea of InnOut is a little more realistic.

Nita
What's with the rolling eyes? He can find himself a studio in a place like North Hollywood, Reseda, Hollywood, Alhambra, South Pasadena, Glendale, Van Nuys, I could go on. This is a single guy we're talking about and guys don't have to be in an area that's as safe as a girl does. I'm not saying go live on the street that's been taken over by gangs but he can make it on 14/hr if he uses his money right.
Everyone cracks me up in these forums when they talk about what they expect in terms of housing when they first get here. If you're not rich or you don't have a rich mommy and daddy that are willing to pay for you to live in West Hollywood or Brentwood, people try to deter you from even thinking about moving here. Well, if the guy is willing to work hard and hold back his moneys for just the bare essentials then he can make it.
He didn't say, "Hey, I'm looking to live in a luxury apartment in downtown next to the Staple Center, furnish it with Sonoma furniture and go out every night to steakhouses and trendy cocktail lounges". He said that he was looking for a roommate situation and any job that pays over $9/hr. I gave him a better option. Can I guarantee that Time Warner is hiring? Yes, I can. All he has to do is go to their website and look up what jobs they are hiring for. Installer is the one job other than sales that is almost always hiring and it's basically an entry level position.
As far as enjoying the fun things to do in L.A. without spending money (or too much money) there is lots do in this town for free. There's all the beaches and piers, farmers markets, events at parks, galleries and museums (LACMA lets you in for free after five o'clock, the Natural History Museum is free every first tuesday of the month and both Getty Museums are free), open mic nights, hiking trails, etc. Hell, for a newcomer just finding out how to get to the Hollywood sign and walking through Hollywood and looking at the stars on the sidewalk is usually fun.
$14/hr gets you at least 2k a month and, if you rent a studio that runs you between $900-1000 a month then you still have $1000 left. Subtract the bills and groceries (and I'm remembering how few groceries I used to have as a bachelor) and you still have at least $500 to do with as you please. If you work for the cable company you don't have to pay for cable or internet and you get a discount on their phone service. If you find a studio with all utilities included then you just cut your bills in half so you still have $600 a month to play with.
I can think of at least one building in the outskirts of Van Nuys, near the orange line, the 405, the 101, the Sherman Oaks Galleria, with a shopping center across the street that has a laundry, two banks, a Jons and lots of eateries up and down the street it's on (Sepulveda) that has studios for $900-1000 and all utilities are included. It has gated parking, laundry room and a pool. The worst activities are some prostitution at night and the occasional accident caused by idiots who drive up and down Sepulveda too fast.
Problem is, you're not going to find deals like that on the internet; you have to hoof it because apartment buildings like that one can't afford to advertise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 11:30 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,335,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
What's with the rolling eyes? He can find himself a studio in a place like North Hollywood, Reseda, Hollywood, Alhambra, South Pasadena, Glendale, Van Nuys, I could go on. This is a single guy we're talking about and guys don't have to be in an area that's as safe as a girl does. I'm not saying go live on the street that's been taken over by gangs but he can make it on 14/hr if he uses his money right.
Everyone cracks me up in these forums when they talk about what they expect in terms of housing when they first get here. If you're not rich or you don't have a rich mommy and daddy that are willing to pay for you to live in West Hollywood or Brentwood, people try to deter you from even thinking about moving here. Well, if the guy is willing to work hard and hold back his moneys for just the bare essentials then he can make it.
He didn't say, "Hey, I'm looking to live in a luxury apartment in downtown next to the Staple Center, furnish it with Sonoma furniture and go out every night to steakhouses and trendy cocktail lounges". He said that he was looking for a roommate situation and any job that pays over $9/hr. I gave him a better option. Can I guarantee that Time Warner is hiring? Yes, I can. All he has to do is go to their website and look up what jobs they are hiring for. Installer is the one job other than sales that is almost always hiring and it's basically an entry level position.
As far as enjoying the fun things to do in L.A. without spending money (or too much money) there is lots do in this town for free. There's all the beaches and piers, farmers markets, events at parks, galleries and museums (LACMA lets you in for free after five o'clock, the Natural History Museum is free every first tuesday of the month and both Getty Museums are free), open mic nights, hiking trails, etc. Hell, for a newcomer just finding out how to get to the Hollywood sign and walking through Hollywood and looking at the stars on the sidewalk is usually fun.
$14/hr gets you at least 2k a month and, if you rent a studio that runs you between $900-1000 a month then you still have $1000 left. Subtract the bills and groceries (and I'm remembering how few groceries I used to have as a bachelor) and you still have at least $500 to do with as you please. If you work for the cable company you don't have to pay for cable or internet and you get a discount on their phone service. If you find a studio with all utilities included then you just cut your bills in half so you still have $600 a month to play with.
I can think of at least one building in the outskirts of Van Nuys, near the orange line, the 405, the 101, the Sherman Oaks Galleria, with a shopping center across the street that has a laundry, two banks, a Jons and lots of eateries up and down the street it's on (Sepulveda) that has studios for $900-1000 and all utilities are included. It has gated parking, laundry room and a pool. The worst activities are some prostitution at night and the occasional accident caused by idiots who drive up and down Sepulveda too fast.
Problem is, you're not going to find deals like that on the internet; you have to hoof it because apartment buildings like that one can't afford to advertise.
Sorry, So Pasadena and Glendale are a bit more than that, some of the places you mentioned maybe?? As for trying to detour him, I am not doing that, he has said he will do almost anything, but it sounds like his intent is to head back to school as soon as possible. Yes, as an installer you can get some college tuition help, but my understanding is, he wants to return to school full time. That is why I think working for InnOut would probably be a better bet, but money would be really tight.

If you really read what I said "yes", I think it is crazy when he is all ready to continue his education in Florida, but I did add, he is young, has no bills and this is the time to move if he wants. Lots of things we do in life are crazy, that doesn't mean we shouldn't do them. If none of us ever took a chance and pioneers didn't cross the Mississippi we would certainly be one crowded country..

You took my comments all wrong, can we say, you took them personally. I did ask if you are completely sure Time Warner is hiring and paying $14 an hour to start. You say, you can assure him they are. That was my question. No, it isn't my place to decide whether he should or shouldn't move from Florida, but I just hate to see people be given nothing but the rosey side, when they need to know what they will be up against. Knowing both sides will give him a better picture. I hope it works out for him.

Nita

Old 08-15-2009, 12:00 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,853,350 times
If he can get a job for $14/hour, then yes, he should be fine, at least in the short-term. You can get by with less money in LA than many people think, but at the same time he should be aware that things are not good, financially-speaking, in LA right now. He's young and sounds able and willing to take the risk, but it's true that he should at least be aware that LA might not live up to the dream. Then again, it very well might. The problem with LA (well, not with LA, but with the CA dream) is that so many people DO move to California thinking only of the good things, and then get depressed if it's not what they had expected. Better to know upfront the good and bad and then be pleasantly surprised if everything falls perfectly in place when he arrives.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:38 PM

24 posts, read 48,223 times
fatmancomics,

You are incorrect. The net pay of someone making $14/hr will be approximately $1650 after taxes and standard payroll deductions.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:19 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,504,303 times
Nita, for the record and off the OP's topic (sorry op), there are tons of bugs in Northern Indiana. Thanks to lake Michigan bringing us terrible humidity. Just spent $40. on doc visit from a Brown Recluse bite. Bugs are really bad here in your face all the time.
I have to agree to disagree on Florida. I thought it was very over rated and seen lots of stuff that would keep me from ever going back there, even to visit.
I'm just saying I can fully understand the OP wanting out of that hell hole.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:40 AM

427 posts, read 1,097,710 times
Thanks you all, California people rule. I'll do what I can this week to clear up that stuff at school here. But I'm going to be toying with this LA idea a little more seriously now. You know, you can't talk about this stuff with the family, the whole family unit is anchored here in St. Petersburg (I love it, Indiana with an ocean). And you certainly can't talk about moving with your coworkers, that would be treason around there.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:02 AM

3,440 posts, read 8,063,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
It's not OUR decision whether you move to Los Angeles or not -- it's all up to you. So if you want to do it, do it. The only thing we can do is offer advice based on experience and knowledge of the area.

Yes, I agree with this. It's not up to CD posters if you should move or not. Matt_sfl, you should have a SOLID reason for moving to California; the use of CD would best be used to help you figure out the logistics of the move.

As far as a job, why shoot so low? As a matter of fact, I don't know why people even agree to work for such little money unless it's an extreme emergency. At one point in my life I was unemployed and people thought I was strange for refusing work but I was unemployed because I refused to work for 9 bucks an hour!

You just can't get ahead with pay like combined with going to school so instead what I did was search for skills that I could develop that I could then sell on my own and charge business/homeowners 40-50 bucks for my services. The same people who though I was strange for not working about 5 years ago are still working the same menial job. So what I'm saying is, no matter where you end up moving, learn a trade then sell the skills.

Last edited by Morphous01; 08-16-2009 at 10:20 AM..

Old 08-16-2009, 11:11 AM

304 posts, read 934,760 times
Sounds like you want to be here. We all do or we would be elsewhere. It is an amazing place to live; there is something for everybody and all different kinds of people.

If you can score a job and apt before you move that would be best. If not, then just be as prepared as best as possible.

Your choice of college will impact where you live. Often colleges will have roommate/apt bulletin boards among other services. And you'll be with people who wish to better themselves as you do.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:18 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,335,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Nita, for the record and off the OP's topic (sorry op), there are tons of bugs in Northern Indiana. Thanks to lake Michigan bringing us terrible humidity. Just spent $40. on doc visit from a Brown Recluse bite. Bugs are really bad here in your face all the time.
I have to agree to disagree on Florida. I thought it was very over rated and seen lots of stuff that would keep me from ever going back there, even to visit.
I'm just saying I can fully understand the OP wanting out of that hell hole.
Oh, I was just saying I didn't realize there were so many bugs in Indiana, I believe you. As for Florida, you may not like it, but I do question you view that it is like Indiana except for beaches, especially the comment about rednecks. That is why I asked you when you lived there and where. I can understand your thinking it is over rated, that is the way some feel about California, I just see them as very similar, especially the southern part of California, from OC south. As for recluse spiders, they seeem to live everywhere now days. We have them (a friend got bit by one) we had them in Texas and they, along with Black Widows are prevelant in NM.

Nita

Old 08-16-2009, 02:52 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,960,161 times
Do it. Moving from FL to CA was one of the best things I've ever done in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles