Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:46 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,807,809 times

Advertisements

I didn't see much plasticity, either. Maybe it was where we lived, maybe it was my age (late 20s when we moved there, but not into clubs) and maybe I was working in the wrong (or right?) industry, but that wasn't part of my reality at all. I know it's there, but one of the things I love best about LA is that there are so many layers, so many different experiences, so you can find your own niche. I don't think it is more materialistic than other cities - but if you do end up with friends who are into that, or work around people who are, then there are more opportunties to indulge in that if you want to. It's like that in NYC, too, though - I think some of that comes with the size of the city. The plus side of that is that with so many people there are plenty of others that don't buy into that.

I like the weather, for the most part. Too hot at times, but I loved having oranges in the winter. I initially lived in Hollywood, which was pretty barren of greenery in many places, so it was always really nice to get off the bus in the morning in Pasadena and smell the orange blossoms. It's nice to be able to be out and walking around at almost any time of year without having to worry about bundling up in hat and boots.

I really like the shopping in LA, but not necessarily the act of spending money (and don't care at all for places like Rodeo Drive or any and all malls) - specifically, I liked going to places like Santee Alley, the Toy District, the jewelry district, some of the stores in Chinatown, and walking along Broadway downtown. It wasn't the buying of stuff that was fun, but the fact that all of those places are teeming with people - shoppers, street vendors, even sales people with microphones standing on boxes trying to entice shoppers to stop at their store. The Toy District in particular is extremely diverse, with people speaking tons of languages and little shops where you can buy pho, burritos, or a hot dog. You can't find that at a mall, or at a generic American shopping street.

The food is great, too. Lots of options from all corners of the world, plus fresh fruit and vegetables grown locally. I used to go to a lot of yard sales while living in South Pasadena, and people would press excess fruit on you. We had an avocado tree across the way, a lime tree, an orange tree, and had a lizard living in our backyard. Those were all exotic to someone who grew up in the Midwest and then lived in the Mid-Atlantic.

The museums are great, too. It's underrated because there is so much larger cultural focus on things like the movie industry, but LA (and the LA area) has some top cultural institutions. The Huntington, Norton Simon, LACMA, the Autry, the Japanese American Museum, and lots of places, big and small - there's something for everyone. Add in some great universities and colleges and there's really no reason for lack of intellectual stimulation in LA. (also LOVE the downtown LA library - love the collections, love the building itself, love the events, love the exhibits...)

I like the sheer variety of pretty much everything. There are neighborhoods for every taste, examples of almost every type of architecture (and I love those kitschy giant food statues - the hot dog on the corner of Western and Hollywood, Randy's donut, etc.), food from everywhere, people from everywhere, and it's all sort of mixed together.

In Hollywood, my first LA home, I liked the grit, the weird mix of people, the street life, the farmer's market, the sense of history. It was a fascinating place to live. In South Pasadena I loved the greenery, the wild parrots, the small-town feel, the small shops, and the feeling of community. I liked being able to see the mountains. At my work in Pasadena I liked being able to see Rose Parade floats drive by on their way to wherever they were going. I liked the history. I liked that most people were friendly.

I know that some people have a hard time loving LA. It's not for everyone. There are extremely beautiful parts, but there are also really ugly parts. I'm okay with that. There was a sense of excitement, of possibility, of being connected to the larger world, that I haven't experienced in quite the same way anywhere else I've lived.

I like that LA has something for everyone, and isn't afraid to embrace the low-brow as well as the high-brow. You can have the Gamble House, but you can also have googie diners. You can have top-chef restaurants but also buy a taco from a guy on the street. You have 19th century history (or even earlier), but the more recent stuff is appreciated, too.

To sum up my long and rambling post, what I like best about LA is its diversity, in every sense of the word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 09:50 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,807,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
Matt,
In general I prefer nature over big cities. I like being able to go into a city for the art, the entertainment, the culture - but then I like to be able to leave. I like living close to nature and visiting the city - not the other way around.
I can see why you wouldn't like LA, then; part of what I like best about LA is that it is such a big city, but I'm the opposite of you - I like to live in a big city and visit nature. I think if nature was one of my top priorities I wouldn't like LA as much, either, as it is a rather concrete-jungle kind of place in many areas.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:53 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,305,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I think LA still represents a type of freedom for people.

-Free to be who you want to be without anyone judging you. Gay, straight. Blonde, or blued hair. Conservatively dressed, or tank top and tattoos.

-365 days of sunshine. Still so many people that are miserable in the midwest or northeast.

-Some revitalization. Like downtown or Hollywood. Still much more opportunity than in other dying cities.

The excitment and wonder can wear off, but there's still stuff to do. Most people here haven't even done 10% of it.

I dont know if LA is that much more materialistic than other cities. I think people can show it off more here....with the sunshine in convertibles or on the freeways or beaches. Compared to other cities where people buy just as much, but are wrapped up indoors.

Its not a cultured city, but theres still some culture...the getty center, disney hall. Its not a complete wasteland...maybe 95%
I think the whole dream of a different/exciting way of life is all smoke and mirrors. But since I myself believed that at one time, I can certainly understand the mindset. That being said, I realized while being in LA, that that fantasy is an illusion. And maybe not even one I would have accepted, had I not been sold on it from the time I was young.

I am not a city person, that is for sure. I love art, I love the foreign flims in the indie theatres, the museums, watching people with their quirks and mannerisms. But for me the city just feels strange and foreign. Its like I just woke up one day, tried on my favorite shirt and realized I hated it. The color's too bright, the fit is not flattering, and its just not me. I bought it because I saw an ad with some pretty model wearing it. But now I realize its just cheap fabric made in some sweat shop in Thailand.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:03 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,067,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post

I really like the shopping in LA, but not necessarily the act of spending money (and don't care at all for places like Rodeo Drive or any and all malls) - specifically, I liked going to places like Santee Alley, the Toy District, the jewelry district, some of the stores in Chinatown, and walking along Broadway downtown. It wasn't the buying of stuff that was fun, but the fact that all of those places are teeming with people - shoppers, street vendors, even sales people with microphones standing on boxes trying to entice shoppers to stop at their store. The Toy District in particular is extremely diverse, with people speaking tons of languages and little shops where you can buy pho, burritos, or a hot dog. You can't find that at a mall, or at a generic American shopping street.
YES- exactly! This is exactly what I meant about the shopping! Where else can you find this? It is so much fun. Such colorful characters. We had a shoe man follow me and my husband from store to store downtown in the fashion district, trying to get us to buy the shoes from HIS store one time. What a hoot...

Old 07-08-2009, 10:05 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,067,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I can see why you wouldn't like LA, then; part of what I like best about LA is that it is such a big city, but I'm the opposite of you - I like to live in a big city and visit nature. I think if nature was one of my top priorities I wouldn't like LA as much, either, as it is a rather concrete-jungle kind of place in many areas.
I love it that it's green year-round, though. My love for nature plays a big part in what I love about LA.... the flowers and fruit all year round....

But of course, no one is obligated to love LA just because I do... lol

Old 07-08-2009, 10:41 PM

268 posts, read 891,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
I love it that it's green year-round, though. My love for nature plays a big part in what I love about LA.... the flowers and fruit all year round....

But of course, no one is obligated to love LA just because I do... lol
Green? Florida is green year-round...LA is a bit dry and brown most of the year. But I get what you're saying!

Old 07-08-2009, 11:11 PM

64 posts, read 184,525 times
Quote:
I moved there right after high school and I remember being very excited about it. It was a big city with tons to do, tons of young people at the beaches, surfing, clubbing, etc. But after being there a couple of years all the excitement and wonder had worn off. And now I just don't get why anyone would like that place. I try to understand - yes there's beaches, yes there's tons of people, yes there's lots of shopping and tons of places to spend your money on. But has anyone ever noticed how ugly the beaches are? There is no vegetation! Most beaches have wet lands surrounding the shores with wildlife, and vegetation. Its apart of the appeal of the beach! But most of the wet lands have been destroyed in Southern California, so all you see is yellow sand.

And really, how much happiness can materialism really get you? Go out here to this club - spend money, buy stuff, yada yada. Am I the only one who is bored by that?

The plasticity of the whole place. The superficiality. The self-important people. Its like one big giant Disneyland. I don't get it.
Seems to me you are hanging out at all the wrong places. If you like natural, unspoiled places you won't find them shopping and clubbing.

LA is not one thing or another, it's many things. If you want superficial self-important people you can find them, but just the same you can find fun, smart, down-to-earth people too. Just not at the same place. We have everything here, every ends of the political spectrum, race, mind set, everything. If you can't find, but one thing, it's not LA, it's you.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,116 times
Quote:
Matt,

Actually I have been to the Central Coast, which I was going to site as an exception but I was too into my rant on how the wetlands have been destroyed in LA . And there is actually a small amount of wetlands still in that area. I know because I've horse backed through it.

I've been up through Santa Barbara, Pismo, Monterey, Santa Cruz and SF.

In general I prefer nature over big cities. I like being able to go into a city for the art, the entertainment, the culture - but then I like to be able to leave. I like living close to nature and visiting the city - not the other way around.
Um, pretty much all world class cities are surrounded by nature.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:26 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,086,867 times
Quote:
I moved there right after high school and I remember being very excited about it. It was a big city with tons to do, tons of young people at the beaches, surfing, clubbing, etc. But after being there a couple of years all the excitement and wonder had worn off.
That excitement is also a common experience in our youth. We want excitement, something new and different, action, etc.

The vast majority of teens think that life will be better if they can just get out of that "boring old hometown". I know I felt that way too at 18.

But as we get older what is important changes.

Understanding those changes is also gaining understanding about who we are as individuals.

Knowing ourselves and our values allows us to find places we can call "home" and places where we can be happy.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:53 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,305,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadB View Post
Seems to me you are hanging out at all the wrong places. If you like natural, unspoiled places you won't find them shopping and clubbing.

LA is not one thing or another, it's many things. If you want superficial self-important people you can find them, but just the same you can find fun, smart, down-to-earth people too. Just not at the same place. We have everything here, every ends of the political spectrum, race, mind set, everything. If you can't find, but one thing, it's not LA, it's you.
First off, I don't expect many people to agree with me, or even understand my view point. Saying that LA has unspoiled places, is like saying Disneyland has parts of it that are authentic. Sure maybe Disneyland had some potted trees, and a petting zoo - would some consider that unspoiled nature? I'm sure some would.

There are some people that visit Disneyland, and want to go home. There are others that want to live there. I am of the former. Sure there is diversity in Small World, there is the novelty of the gift shops, the entertainment of the shows, the beauty of the fire works. But that doesn't change the fact that Disneyland is an illusion. That is what it is based on. Making the fake, seem real. The tragedy is that many people forget that it is all fake, and begin to live it like the truth.

I guess what I am saying is that I cannot find what I want in LA. That's what it promises, I know. I've heard it before. But the promises are empty. And to be honest I don't believe anyone can find what they want in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles