Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 05:05 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,681,199 times

Advertisements

so you have no recourse if they are violating the terms of the lease? Time to document, document, document my friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 06:49 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,244,527 times
You need to call the police EVERY TIME anything happens that is a nuisance or crime. Get the other tenants to also call EVERY TIME they see/hear/believe something is a problem.
Call the LA city attorney and explain what is going on. Tell them that you think he is selling marijuana; maybe he is. They have a procedure for dealing with this kind of tenant. It takes time for the eviction to take place,but this is the only legal way I know of dealing with this.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:23 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,641,192 times
Don't you have a clause in your standard lease that makes it a violation of the leasehold to commit a crime on the property? Well, marijuana possession is still a crime!

Old 06-14-2009, 11:40 PM

530 posts, read 1,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
Don't you have a clause in your standard lease that makes it a violation of the leasehold to commit a crime on the property? Well, marijuana possession is still a crime!
Yes I do but then you have to prove it.

I agree with above and I have decided to A: put video surveillance on my property this week. I already contacted the company and I am meeting them Tuesday.

B: call the police every time.

Thank you all for your input if you have any more advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Old 05-10-2010, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,121 times
I know that you stated that the terrible tenant had a lease and then converted to month-to-month. Do you provide Tenant Rules and Regulations to your tenants? If you do the same rules apply even though a tenancy changes from lease to month-to-month. If you didn't provide Tenant Rules and Regulations you need to present ALL of your tenants with rules. You can get a generic form from Staples, etc. Be sure to add a clause that address excessive noise, drug use and domestic violence on the premises. You must serve all of your tenants to avoid any type of claim of discrimination. Also, there is a loophole in the rent stablization statute. You are the landlord but you can provide discount rent to part time on-site manager in exchange for collecting rent (you can put a lock box on the side of the tenant's door) and taking calls for maintenance. You can legally give the terrible tenant a 30-day notice to move because you want to move an on-site manager into their unit.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:30 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Torch it!

Old 05-10-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Torch it!
Yeah that is what all my friends say about rent control: better off torching it.

Pretty bad.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:24 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
In most of the leases I have signed, there is almost always a clause that gives the landlord the option to evict me if I am misusing the property with drugs.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 PM

32 posts, read 46,784 times
This is nasty, but I've seen it done: do you own the building? If so, first of all stop any and all agitation about him. Leave him be. Because you're now officially up to something.

Turn over complete ownership of the property to a "new corporation" (put it in an intelligent and sympathetic relative's or friend's name - someone who is good with money and numbers, and who looks good in a suit in case this goes to court), and notify all tenants including this deadbeat they must be approved by the new management or move out within 90 days. Offer them help to move if they need it, and good references.

Have "new management" accept every other tenant except the deadbeat's, and have "new management" claim the deadbeat was rejected because of new and higher, tighter credit standards the deadbeat no longer meets. Tell him it's out of your hands.

Have "new management" and their attorney force the deadbeat tenant out, meaning he either moves out on day 91 or you change the locks and defy replevin. On pain of your job working for "new management", of course. Tell him there's nothing you can do.

Then if he sues, which he won't, have "new management" show up with his or her lawyer, present proof all tenants were notified of the change in management, which absolves them and you of any and all exposure. And if he returns to try to see if the other tenants got to stay while he didn't, hit him with trespassing and multiple restraining orders.

If this is a dope deadbeat, it'll take exactly two experiences with that to shake him loose and make him shuffle off to weaker prey.

Then switch ownership of the building back to yourself.

Problem solved.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenslyn Person View Post
This is nasty, but I've seen it done: do you own the building? If so, first of all stop any and all agitation about him. Leave him be. Because you're now officially up to something.

Turn over complete ownership of the property to a "new corporation" (put it in an intelligent and sympathetic relative's or friend's name - someone who is good with money and numbers, and who looks good in a suit in case this goes to court), and notify all tenants including this deadbeat they must be approved by the new management or move out within 90 days. Offer them help to move if they need it, and good references.

Have "new management" accept every other tenant except the deadbeat's, and have "new management" claim the deadbeat was rejected because of new and higher, tighter credit standards the deadbeat no longer meets. Tell him it's out of your hands.

Have "new management" and their attorney force the deadbeat tenant out, meaning he either moves out on day 91 or you change the locks and defy replevin. On pain of your job working for "new management", of course. Tell him there's nothing you can do.

Then if he sues, which he won't, have "new management" show up with his or her lawyer, present proof all tenants were notified of the change in management, which absolves them and you of any and all exposure. And if he returns to try to see if the other tenants got to stay while he didn't, hit him with trespassing and multiple restraining orders.

If this is a dope deadbeat, it'll take exactly two experiences with that to shake him loose and make him shuffle off to weaker prey.

Then switch ownership of the building back to yourself.

Problem solved.
In Los Angeles rent controlled buildings the new owners cannot evict any remaining tenants for the reasons you stated above. When my family first purchased the property I wanted to evict every tenant, renovate the building and move in new people, an overhaul. Illegal to do that amd if it was legal than rent control wouldn't exist. In places where there isn't rent control I could do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles