Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 06:59 PM

321 posts, read 1,441,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh22 View Post
TitosBuritoBarn, here's the thing:

Los angeles is the second largest city in the United states. Looking at the crime scale for Los Angeles itself is completely useless.

FOR example.. West los angeles is a very safe area overall, and can have some places that would rank in a "130 overall crime rating" (the lower the better). But then you can go to South Los angeles, and the overall crime rating for that section of Los angeles could be 1,120 crime rating! But the problem is, the crime rating index will MERGE those two crime rankings together, and then you get an average lower ranking. Los angeles has so many areas (and many safe areas, too), that the safe areas are what bring the crime rate index down. If they where to just rate South Los angeles itself, then the crime rate would be sky-high. But they don't, they take the entire city of 9 million people - that's why the crime rate index is useless. Taking the crime ratings of the safe parts of Los angeles and then combining them with the worst parts of Los angeles - well doing that doesn't really give you a accurate rating, does it? If the city was smaller, then perhaps it would, but the city is the 2nd largest in the U.S.

And speaking of Compton - it has the highest murder rate in the U.S. Per cap it's higher than East St Louis, Detriot, and Camden.

Not all of LA, or surrounding areas are dangerous. Beverly hills is part of Los angeles county, but it's one of the richest areas. There is also Irvine, mission viejo, lake forest which aren't far from LA, and they rank in the top safest in America. Although the dangerous parts of LA are arguably the most dangerous places in the U.S, while the richest parts are some of safest and nicest places to be - so it's really a mix up.
What part of LA did Manson murder all those wealthy people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 07:09 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,558,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti0 View Post
What part of LA did Manson murder all those wealthy people?
That happened nearly forty years ago. The Manson murders were completely out of the ordinary. The calculated risk of living in an area like Bel Air is minimal compared to living in South L.A.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
That happened nearly forty years ago. The Manson murders were completely out of the ordinary. The calculated risk of living in an area like Bel Air is minimal compared to living in South L.A.
Where were the Manson murders committed? I don't remember the name of the location? History repeats

Old 04-08-2007, 07:16 PM

Default South LA

So South LA has the most crime.. I thought it was East LA. Did it change over the years?

Old 04-08-2007, 07:30 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,579,964 times
Quote:
So South LA has the most crime.. I thought it was East LA. Did it change over the years?
Where were you when all those movies were made about the crime in South Central Los Angeles (now South Los Angeles)? They've been coming out ever since the early 90's. Then again, they were targeted towards blacks, so you might've missed it.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:07 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,924,574 times
Yetti0-
Is there some point in bringing up old sensational crimes in the LA area? How about current FBI stats.
LA violent crime- 7
LA property crime- 6
Houston violent crime- 7
Houston property crime- 7
Looks like crime in LA is equal to or less than Houston. That means that all of TX sucks, at least according to your logic.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:32 PM

Default Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Where were you when all those movies were made about the crime in South Central Los Angeles (now South Los Angeles)? They've been coming out ever since the early 90's. Then again, they were targeted towards blacks, so you might've missed it.
I don't believe I have ever stated my race.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
Yetti0-
Is there some point in bringing up old sensational crimes in the LA area? How about current FBI stats.
LA violent crime- 7
LA property crime- 6
Houston violent crime- 7
Houston property crime- 7
Looks like crime in LA is equal to or less than Houston. That means that all of TX sucks, at least according to your logic.
According to CNN Money Survey.. California is ranked in 2007 as the 9th most dangerous state in the country and 2006 the 10th most dangerous state in the country.

Texas was ranked in 2007 as the 12th most dangerous state in the country and 2006 as the 11th most dangerous state in the country.. Our border with Mexico is longer... we are a bigger state and our crime is less even though we had an increase due to housing over 100,000 Katrina evacutees and inheriting their gangs for a long period of time. Seems my logic is on target.

Lets see , in California, there was the Black Dahlia murder in the 40s... the two men who had sex slaves in a hidden shelter and ran to Canada 10 yrs ago... also a doctor who sexually molested hundreds of his male patients.. Several major pedophile murders which were on international news far more than any other state. California leads in car chases.. every month its reported on national news...I am beginning to know all the streets in LA just from the news reports of them.

My logic is on target according to my research.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:00 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,579,964 times
Quote:
I don't believe I have ever stated my race.
Good point. I tried not to, but I had a user unknowingly call me a bigot lol, so I had to let the cat out of the bag.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:06 PM

4 posts, read 20,933 times
Default Crime based on Race

What I have found in LA is that the Anglo population automatically thinks that if an area has a large black, latino, or Asian population that it is a bad neighborhood. That makes almost every LA neighborhood a "bad neighbohood" even though statistics show otherwise.

I used to a live in the middle-class neighborhood city of Downey, California just outside LA. The majority is Hispanic with very low crime rate. In fact there are some million dollar homes on the Northeast side. A teacher that taught for the district described the neighborhood as "bad" only because the majority of children were Hispanic--basing her judgement on that rather than statistics showing that it is middle-class area. She did not know that I lived there. I explained to her that her perception was warped. I also explainied to her that the median price in the area was comparable to her neighborhood of Huntington Beach.

I have also heard people say that Baldwin Hills and Lemiert Park are "bad neighborhoods" when I know for a fact that they are good solid middle class areas that just happened to be African American concentrated.

Judge a neighborhood by stat crimes not by race and you will be ok. It seems that you already did that. It also seems you are a lot wiser than many of the Anglos here in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles