Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 06:01 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,897,670 times

Advertisements

Some of the celebs at Laker games seem like a stretch in terms of being basketball fans. How many would be showing up if it was Nick Van Excel, Elden Campbell and Randy Pfund coaching, lol?

-I.e, Robert Downey Jr. Strikes me as more of the artistic type.

-Steven Speilberg, Jeffrey Katzenberg. These guys could buy the whole league. Do you imagine them really talking intense Laker basketball outside of Staples Center?

Some attendees like DiCaprio, Tobey McGuire I can understand.

There are a few other courtside fans I wonder about. Maybe 6-8 seats down from the end of the Laker bench (near center court), there's an older man and his blonde wife (usually has on a black leather laker jacket). And the guy has a yellow laker shirt. They seem very passionate and devoted. Incredible seats!

What percent of the courtside seats are owned or controlled by hollywood studios or talent agencies? What percent are regular fans?

Any stories about meeting courtside celebs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 06:12 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,637,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Some of the celebs at Laker games seem like a stretch in terms of being basketball fans. How many would be showing up if it was Nick Van Excel, Elden Campbell and Randy Pfund coaching, lol?

-I.e, Robert Downey Jr. Strikes me as more of the artistic type.
You'd be very surprised how many artsy types are sports fans - one doesn't contradict the other. Most native Angelenos have the Lakers in our blood and those who don't, should have. The Lakers are one of the decreasing number of things that unite L.A. in all of its social, racial, economic, and ethnic diversity.

But yes, courtside is celeb central. Alas, I have no stories to tell about meeting celebs at games.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:38 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,838,468 times
"Hoping to increase revenue, the NBA sent two executives to Los Angeles to coordinate product placement, ink movie deals and build relationships with studios.....[celebrities] were also given prime seats at nationally televised Lakers games."

from

Why the Lakers Own Los Angeles - WSJ.com

Old 04-28-2009, 10:19 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,621,468 times
Those seats w/ celebrities probably cost well over $1000 that's my dream to sit court-side next to Jack Nicholson or the Laker bench. But any seat is great during the playoffs [esp right in front of my TV . Now that the Laker's have put away the Jazz I hope the next team is Houston [not Portland who scare the poop out of me].

Old 04-29-2009, 01:35 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,380,735 times
A co worker of mine is friends with Marc Anthony. He calls her up one day and tells her he has court side seats for the Laker game, but that he can't make the game that day. While on the phone we hear her telling him that she can't make it and doesn't know anyone that can. She literally was not into sports and didn't get it, and didn't understand our feelings at having the chance to go to the game. Talk about the one that got away, this was the game that got away. Thinking about it later, I kind of think she did it because what else do you do? Someone would be upset because they didn't get to go. It is a no win situation.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:08 PM

3 posts, read 6,991 times
that's true! I never thought of it that way!

Old 04-29-2009, 05:38 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,621,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
A co worker of mine is friends with Marc Anthony. He calls her up one day and tells her he has court side seats for the Laker game, but that he can't make the game that day. While on the phone we hear her telling him that she can't make it and doesn't know anyone that can. She literally was not into sports and didn't get it, and didn't understand our feelings at having the chance to go to the game. Talk about the one that got away, this was the game that got away. Thinking about it later, I kind of think she did it because what else do you do? Someone would be upset because they didn't get to go. It is a no win situation.
Sounds like me. I had a co-worker who wasn't interested in sports & certainly not the Lakers but accepted a free ticket just to check out the celebrities. I was salivating at the chance to be that close to the court [within 20 seats].

Old 04-29-2009, 06:22 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,838,468 times
When I went to Lakers and Kings games at the Forum (I've never been to Staples) or Raider or Angel games I'd just buy the cheapest seats and sneak down to the best seats. Almost always worked. Dodger Stadium is a lot tougher because there are only a couple ways up and down inside the stadium and the ushers are pretty secure.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:41 PM

241 posts, read 940,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Really the artist?

Old 04-30-2009, 12:43 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,380,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciously View Post
Really the artist?
yes the one that is with J-Lo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles