Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2007, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 16,658 times

Advertisements

Hey posters!

I've recently been accepted into Southern California Institute of Architecture and planning to relocate there in early August. Not knowing where to turn to learn more about the area and the city my google search of LA has guided me here.. :)
Having spent a good part of my morning reading the posts, I can't help but be some what concerned about my future in LA....:( It seems to be there is a huge schism along the general populous of LA on whether LA is a good and safe place to live. Gang violence & racism seems frequent in LA.)

SAFETY and price is the main deciding factor for me as I will be moving there with a fiance (newly engaged after undergrad). We are planning on purchasing a vehicle once we've settled in, but would refer to remain near the school to avoid the long commute. If you are familiar with the area (which I've been told is the ARTIST'S DISTRICT) please take a moment to shed some light on the issue... it will be MUCH appreciated.

cheers,

SCI-Arc
960 East 3rd Street, Los Angeles, CA 90013

Last edited by In between; 03-31-2007 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: missing info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 10:13 PM

10 posts, read 39,138 times
Hello
Congrats on SCI ARCH!
I am an architect as well as someone who grew up in LA. It is a fun great city.
For Sci-Arc I would look in Little Tokyo, Silverlake and Echo Park also...Little Tokyo you could walk to school if you wanted. Silverlake and Echo are about a 15 min drive. I would stay away from the "toy" district..Craigslist is a good place to start also. Does Sci-Arch have a board of something for housing.
Good Luck and if you have questions about a particular address..Let me know
! As far as gangs go...not as much an issue in downtown as other areas and racism...yeeeesh I am not even going to respond to that Having travelled all over the country this city is incredibly divers and multi-cultural. You just have appreciate all the differences...By the way great ethnic food areas DTLA!

Old 03-31-2007, 11:34 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,662,998 times
look into the downtown area, south park, bunker hill. chinatown, and boyle heights are not far from sci arc, and if vernon had housing it would be perfect in terms of commuting to sci arc. steer clear of the area just west of downtown, that is the worst!!!! and the gangs are not that bad. look at lalife.com, or net or org. gives you safety indexes and everything.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:25 AM

3 posts, read 22,881 times
Default Alumnus

Hey there,

I've recently graduated SCI-Arc...last year to be more precise. I first lived in Little Tokyo Lofts at 4th and San Pedro. It's sort of on the edge of Skid Row which has a bad reputation, however, if you're going to SCI-Arc you're going to be exposed to some crazy stuff anyway...so why not live your one life in a pretty "lively" area. I also lived on Molino right next to SCI-Arc. Loved being able to walk to school. My final semester and now, I live on the west side by the beach. It more fits my active lifestyle. Echo Park, Silverlake, Korea Town, Downtown.....probably your best bet. People from SCI-Arc have a tendancy to live closer to school at the start and gradually move farther away from school as the years go by. My advice...pick a place close to school first and bank on the fact that you'll be moving a little bit anyway. As you spend time in LA, you'll discover which areas of this vast city fit your personality and lifestlye. Crime and racism exist in any city you go to...I honestly wouldn't worry about it at all....traditionally speaking, 99% of students stick to any place west of the LA river.

I hope this helps....tear it up at SCI-Arc

Old 04-02-2007, 08:13 PM

2 posts, read 16,658 times
wow... such an overwhelmingly positive response!!! if peeps in LA are as willing to help out strangers as you have maybe there is hope for me after all!! I will investigate further on the areas you've suggested and perhaps bother you again with more questions : ) Thanks again guys!!

bdesmit - I would like to talk to you personally (perhaps via e-mail, or whatever form you are comfortable with) regard SCI-Arc. I would like to gather as much information as I can prior to my visit and accepting their offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles