Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 12:45 AM

10 posts, read 39,176 times

Advertisements

Is it a good time buy a first home in Los Angeles???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 09:29 AM

644 posts, read 3,324,069 times
No, of course not. Are you joking? Read the paper.

Artie

Old 03-31-2007, 05:27 PM

Do you simply just sit on this board to respond ignorantly or do you have something more to say, aside from the sub-prime lending fiasco?

Old 03-31-2007, 06:15 PM

433 posts, read 2,359,165 times
It might be. I would probably get qualified and just watch the spring market. The underlying economy remains quite decent in California. True, there are bad loans out there but the unwinding has (so far) been orderly.

We have dropped at least 10% on home prices from their peak here in northern California (Sac market). The worst areas appear to be in new neighborhoods/communities that were building great guns from 2004-2006 where all the buyers were paying top dollar. There are for sale signs all over these newer areas. The other areas will have some scattered repos, but the majority of homeowners still have plenty of equity and will not sell into a soft market.

Watch the economy. In my opinion, that will be a better indicator of the market than junk loans. If I was buying now I would probably do some low-balling offers and let the lenders know that I'm available to take a troubled property off the market for the right price.

My 2 cents.

Old 03-31-2007, 07:51 PM

Thank you Kingsnkali

Old 03-31-2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirsthouse View Post
Do you simply just sit on this board to respond ignorantly or do you have something more to say, aside from the sub-prime lending fiasco?
myfirsthouse,

In my opinion, it is not a good time to buy a home in California, but really, it's not even that simple. If you are thinking about making an investment as important as a home, you need to do a lot of research. A lot of factors come into play. Why are you buying a home? How long do you plan to live there? What interest rate do you qualify for? How much are you planning to put down? How much income do you earn? Are you living alone or sharing expenses? It sounds like you have a lot of homework ahead of you!

But as a general answer, no, now is probably not a good time to invest in a home in California, for a lot of reasons. If I were going to buy a home now, I'd look at markets that offer a better value and have seen a more stable increase of 4-5% a year.

Artie

Old 04-01-2007, 12:14 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,882,554 times
Simple answer is no.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:15 AM

989 posts, read 5,931,517 times
In general, home prices just DOUBLED in price over the past five years. Don't count on another boom like that for a while. Expect small gains as people begin to catch up with the market. With that said, I'm unaware of the exact neighborhood you are buying in. future development? general plan? Most RE investors study those types of things intensively before making a decision to buy.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:40 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,347,789 times
The housing market has been rough long enough now for a couple things to have happened:
1. Housing prices have come down in many areas
2. Sellers are really willing to deal, everyone knows it's now a buyer's market. Some sellers still aren't in touch with reality, don't even deal with their properties. You're going to live somewhere and if you live in the house a long time, even if you lose a couple more percent, you'll make it up again and then some.

Personally, I look for "the deal" as I'm an investor. Liking the property itself is only part of it. It's still possible to buy a house without a lot of cash from your pocket if you're smart and creative. I personally either pay nothing (at closing) or get money back at closing every time. I structure my deals that way. I look at trends and use them to my advantage.

The first thing you need to do is to talk to some lenders to find out what's possible for you. There are also some programs allowing first time (or someone who doesn't currently own a home) buyers to buy houses in grittier demographics at 97% LTV 5% interest only. Direct lenders won't know about these, most brokers don't, you have to keep asking. I only recommend this if you're going to stay in the house for a while. Included areas are 91103, 90042, 90065, 90038, 90026...there are a bunch. This is based on the 2000 census. You might also consider buying more than one unit to offet your mortgage. The latter program works for up to 4 units.

Look into the costs v. benefits of home ownership, the latter are many. Aside from the financial, I like not having a landlord breathing down my neck.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:56 PM

"I personally either pay nothing (at closing) or get money back at closing every time. I structure my deals that way."

Interesting investment scheme! The only reason someone would put nothing down on a home is if they had nothing to put down! There's been a huge trend over the last several years of people buying homes with little down small monthly payments in the form of interest-only loans. They did this in the hopes of flipping the home in the short term and making a profit on the sale after the home went up in price. I can't tell you how many of these so called "investors" I've bumped into in the last year or two. All of a sudden, everyone was jumping into the housing market. Everyone was an investor! House flippers is what you call them. Some of these folks made some money but those who didn't pull out in time are now losing their shirts! As we now know, anyone can own property, but property doesn't equal assets, unless you've paid off the loan. Actually, many people who "own" houses now can only sell them at a huge loss, so they don't sell them, they hang on and on and on..

Just my 2 cents on flippers.

Artie

Last edited by artichoke63; 04-02-2007 at 12:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: