Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 11:37 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,525,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
To be honest, it doesn't sound to me like you're quite ready to live here from your original post, Philly10. You might want to visit for a few weeks on your next summer vacation and see if you like it at all.
As of right now, it seems like you have too many preconcieved notions of an all encompansing culture in this "city". L.A. is not just one city though, it's a county with a bunch of little cities all spread out and each with a slew of different cultures within them.
There is downtown, there are the inner cities, there are the beach cities and villages, there are the valleys and all of them have so many differing races, cultures, economical classes and intellectual levels amongst their people that a simple "are you guys plastic?" just doesn't do us justice.
The thing with people who are either from NY or used to going there for a sampling of metropolitan life is that they've grown lazy when it comes to meeting different types of people and having different places to see and different things to do. The areas in the east coast are much more condensed so you're used to seeing all the different people, smart or dumb, rich or poor, white or otherwise, all come together in one city or one park.
In L.A. you'll see much smaller samplings of such diversity in certain areas of each city but you almost always have to look for what you're interested in. The great thing about it is that one day you can be interested in an art gallery opening and the other in a book signing and you'll always be able to find such an event. You can choose to have friends who are vacuous and still have friends who are intellectual. You can find casual sex or "meaningful" relationships. It's really up to you. I mean it though, IT'S UP TO YOU, don't expect to have all the things that you want waiting for you at the airport. You have to work for what you want here more than in most places.
Quiet, you. He/she can't do it. Not no way, not no how.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 11:44 AM

5 posts, read 12,947 times
To answer a couple of questions/concerns. Yes, I have a car and insurance for my parents pay for my insurance until I'm financially independent. I know that I prob won't get an apartment on $1000 (maybe in south-central l.a. I just wanted to save by moving into a crappy studio) I might have to live by myself and find a roommate by posting something online or something. Money isn't really an object for my parents can give me some seed money for a couple months. My absoulute limit is $2000/month. (If you tell me a can't do that than l.a. is not worth that much my gosh i think you can get a cheaper apartment in NYC although it would be a dump.
I prob should have told you guys that I won't be actually moving until i get out of school which is a couple years, but i'm thinking about my relocation future now. Philadelphia is getting worse in terms of crime and the weekly shootings and is not getting better and need a change in my life and always wanted to move to California cause it looks beautiful. I know that most of l.a. is not what you see on t.v., but still have an urge to move.
I know people say that getting a job is hard, but i did some research and paralegal jobs are plentiful in the l.a. area (it will still will be a challenge, but not as bad as in other fields)
I'm going to visit l.a. before i pack my bags. It would be stupid to move to a city that i've never been to in hopes that i'll like it.

ADAM

Old 03-04-2009, 12:55 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,419,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly10 View Post
To answer a couple of questions/concerns. Yes, I have a car and insurance for my parents pay for my insurance until I'm financially independent. I know that I prob won't get an apartment on $1000 (maybe in south-central l.a. I just wanted to save by moving into a crappy studio) I might have to live by myself and find a roommate by posting something online or something. Money isn't really an object for my parents can give me some seed money for a couple months. My absoulute limit is $2000/month. (If you tell me a can't do that than l.a. is not worth that much my gosh i think you can get a cheaper apartment in NYC although it would be a dump.
I prob should have told you guys that I won't be actually moving until i get out of school which is a couple years, but i'm thinking about my relocation future now. Philadelphia is getting worse in terms of crime and the weekly shootings and is not getting better and need a change in my life and always wanted to move to California cause it looks beautiful. I know that most of l.a. is not what you see on t.v., but still have an urge to move.
I know people say that getting a job is hard, but i did some research and paralegal jobs are plentiful in the l.a. area (it will still will be a challenge, but not as bad as in other fields)
I'm going to visit l.a. before i pack my bags. It would be stupid to move to a city that i've never been to in hopes that i'll like it.

ADAM
well that makes a little more sense, but you are really putting the cart before the horse. Wait until you are much closer to graduation. If you are 19, I gather you are only a soph at best. Lots of things will happen in the next 3 years..

As for crime, yes, I have heard crime in Philly is bad, do you have any idea how bad it is in most of So Cal? especially in the areas you can afford to live?

NIta

Old 03-04-2009, 01:40 PM

There might be a ton of paralegal jobs, but most firms want people with at least five years worth of experience. California is also the only state that requires that paralegals be certified.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:42 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,868,067 times
I actually think you'd benefit greatly from living in LA. From living anywhere else, really. It will give you an expanded outlook on the world. You also have youth and some backup money on your side - don't accumulate too much stuff, and that way unlike those of with more settled lives you can pack up and move easily and cheaply.

You can certainly find a studio in a decent area for under $2,000. You also don't HAVE to have a car - I don't drive, never did, and managed in LA just fine. It depends on your job and your choice of neighborhood.

With luck the economic situation will be far better by the time you graduate, but do be aware that even though there may be paralegal jobs advertised doesn't mean that they're actually easy to get, especially for someone either in school or just graduated - there are just too many other people out there looking for work right now, people with graduate degrees and years of office experience, and you'll be way down at the bottom of the hiring pool. That's not meant as discouragement, just a reality check. But maybe the situation will be different by the time you graduate.

Southern CA does have crime. I know Philly does, too (lived near there for awhile). Just remember that LA is not a utopia. Even murders often don't get reported in the paper, or just get a little paragraph buried in the back of the local section. That's just the reality of a really big metropolis. It wouldn't stop me from moving (everywhere has crime), but I agree that you should research more about crime in SoCal if that's something that you're really worried about.

If you're serious about moving to LA I'd suggest that you start reading the LA Times online. You'll start to know the names of various cities or neighborhoods, as well as get a better sense of what the city can offer. And by all means take a trip out to visit, but don't excessively worry about it. You're only 19 (and maybe 21 when you move?); you don't have to live anywhere forever.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:50 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,419,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I actually think you'd benefit greatly from living in LA. From living anywhere else, really. It will give you an expanded outlook on the world. You also have youth and some backup money on your side - don't accumulate too much stuff, and that way unlike those of with more settled lives you can pack up and move easily and cheaply.

You can certainly find a studio in a decent area for under $2,000. You also don't HAVE to have a car - I don't drive, never did, and managed in LA just fine. It depends on your job and your choice of neighborhood.

With luck the economic situation will be far better by the time you graduate, but do be aware that even though there may be paralegal jobs advertised doesn't mean that they're actually easy to get, especially for someone either in school or just graduated - there are just too many other people out there looking for work right now, people with graduate degrees and years of office experience, and you'll be way down at the bottom of the hiring pool. That's not meant as discouragement, just a reality check. But maybe the situation will be different by the time you graduate.

Southern CA does have crime. I know Philly does, too (lived near there for awhile). Just remember that LA is not a utopia. Even murders often don't get reported in the paper, or just get a little paragraph buried in the back of the local section. That's just the reality of a really big metropolis. It wouldn't stop me from moving (everywhere has crime), but I agree that you should research more about crime in SoCal if that's something that you're really worried about.

If you're serious about moving to LA I'd suggest that you start reading the LA Times online. You'll start to know the names of various cities or neighborhoods, as well as get a better sense of what the city can offer. And by all means take a trip out to visit, but don't excessively worry about it. You're only 19 (and maybe 21 when you move?); you don't have to live anywhere forever.
L.A. Times on line, the Times may not even be around that much longer..But that is a good idea..As for living without a car, maybe it has worked for you, great but we all know, in Los Angeles it isn't an easy task. S.F that would be different and you talk about what would get him a decent apt, 2 (or probably 3) years from now, who knows what rents will be?? should he move? That isn't my decision, but I do know one thing, he has not a clue what SoCa is really like, he watches too much TV. In fact too many young kids come to Ca without being prepared. Many end up miserable..

Nita

Old 03-04-2009, 07:46 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,894,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly10 View Post
Philadelphia is getting worse in terms of crime and the weekly shootings and is not getting better and need a change in my life and always wanted to move to California cause it looks beautiful. I know that most of l.a. is not what you see on t.v., but still have an urge to move.
I'd never take it upon myself to discourage you from trying to fulfill a dream, but would encourage you to, obviously, visit the area -- for more than just a week -- to make sure it's a place you REALLY want to live. I'd suggest that you also try networking with some folks already in your desired profession, to get some insights about the job market.

As for the "beauty" of California, Los Angeles especially, make sure you check out the Los Angeles Pics thread at the top of this forum. Many of them show the city as it truly is -- the pictures are beautiful, although the subjects often aren't.

Best of luck to you!

Old 03-04-2009, 09:40 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,868,067 times
I completely agree that the OP has no clue about the realities of Los Angeles or CA in general, or the job market anywhere, for that matter. But I do think that if you're young enough and have the freedom to do so it's not such a bad thing to pack up and move somewhere, even possibly sight unseen. I would strongly urge him NOT to go into debt to do so, though. But, assuming he has the financial means to make the move both here and back (if necessary), consider it an adventure that's easier to do now than later.

Oh, and Philly, FYI for if and when you do come here, know that many rentals don't come with refrigerators (we've rented two places; one did, one didn't.).

And one more thing for the OP. Not everyone is laid back here either; in general it's calmer here than it was when I lived in the east, but it's not like it's all swaying palm trees and an easy-going lifestyle. You could be in for some nasty surprises, and like others have said, there are a lot of people who move here looking for some mythical dream and then hate it when the reality just doesn't measure up. Don't let that be you. (or at least have some reserve money to head back home if things don't work out.)

Old 03-04-2009, 09:48 PM

I actually miss the fast-paced lifestyle in Southern California. I'm an impatient jackass and always rushing into things (seriously).

Actually, its a helluva lot more fast-paced than Phoenix...

Old 07-04-2009, 12:00 PM

4 posts, read 5,345 times
Actually, now may be a good time to move to LA to secure a law job. I was reading an article that said due to the recession, commercial real estate prices have been falling. With the falling prices, law firms that once thought it too expensive and over crowded to open a LA branch are beginning to sign leases. That being said, they will need more qualified and experienced people to work in their new West Coast branches. As they say, every crisis offers opportunity to those savvy enough to spot them.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-04-2009 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: Manual signatures are not allowed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles