Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Longing for Los Angeles after moving, miss LA attributes, budget problem, declining home prices, Bay Area cost of living, high cost of living

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 08:39 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,669,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
100 muders in just a few days short of 2 months, crime is going down??
Down compared to the '90s (and lower than many other big cities) Going back up to 2007 levels isn't quite the same thing.

If you were in L.A. during the '90s what's going on now seems pretty mild by comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 05:28 AM

180 posts, read 379,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
Chicagoans miss the snow, White Castle (those burgers suck!) and the pizza yet, when you go to Chicago, it's extremely segregated racialy and people are very intolerant of interracial relationships. That's something I just can't have since I'm IN an interracial marriage. It's too bad because the city is awesome and has lots to offer to tourists but the people really screw the place up. The old, "nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there" sums up Chicago for me.
I was born in SoCal, raised in Chicago, and plan to move back to SoCal soon. I just had to comment on this post.

First of all let me say, LOL @ White Castle! That garbage is so overrated. Good call. It smells like rat meat. CA has the best fast food burger ever. It's called In-N-Out. Chicago pizza is good once in a while. Chicago is also known for its hot dogs, but most are extremely overrated except for one special location! Superdawg®*drive-in AMAZING!

Snow really does suck. After this winter, I vowed to never deal with another Chicago winter. I HATE IT. And I've lived here 95% of my life. Not only does the snow suck, the summers suck! It's like FL with no palm trees and no ocean. Hot, muggy and nasty. Don't forget the mosquitos too! You can't even go outside to exercise for half the year, unless you want to be bombarded by the elements.

In terms of racial segregation and people being intolerant, I dunno about that, you must have encountered some really lame people. People in the city seem to be very diverse and tolerant. I could see this being a problem in some of the hoity-toity suburbs though.

"Nice place to visit, not to live," pretty much sums up Chicago for me.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,041,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Down compared to the '90s (and lower than many other big cities) Going back up to 2007 levels isn't quite the same thing.

If you were in L.A. during the '90s what's going on now seems pretty mild by comparison.
It is still a hell of alot of murders, just because other cities are up there doesn't mean L.A. isn't pretty scarey..

Nita

Old 02-28-2009, 01:20 PM

705 posts, read 3,302,308 times
^^ So whats your overall point?

You keep responding to posts with just another statement but no real argument.

"Cities Suck"- I think thats what you are trying to get at.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:38 PM

635 posts, read 1,689,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransomed View Post
- culture
- mountains
- beaches
- variety & diverse restaurants, peoples, music, stores
- fairly intelligent people who are open minded and
don't live in their small bubble.
- great weather
- breath taking sunsets
- there's always something to do! VERY family oriented place with lots of activies for children.
I want to steal this list and put it under my pillow and when I'm really missing California, pull it out chew it up and blow a bubble! Good list.

Culture, Variety & Diversity? Who knew I would miss it sooooo much?! You don't realize how much of it there is until you move somewhere, where it isn't. It took us 15-20 minutes to decide where we wanted to go to eat, shop or look with all of the diversity because you are just marinating in it.

People in California are open minded and I miss that also. They want to 'do business' so if you suggest something they've never heard of which will help them 'do business' or 'do more business' they are all ears and quick to act. Keeps your mind and creative juices really active too.

The great weather in California has faded over the years, the humidity and heat has just 'changed' and I was yipping about that summer before last when it was 101 in the OC and I got prickly heat for the first time. But you know what? At least the bugs aren't gnawing on you like a Serenghetti carcass lying in the hot desert sun! In the midwest and South you are that carcass... ALL.... Summer...looooooong -- I have so many marks from these bugs that look like they zoomed right out of "Dune", that it isn't even funny any more.

The small bubble? Thats a another thread altogether for me. Its rainy outside, dreary and I'm having a rather salty day. Sorry for the rant If I was in California today, I'd go have a BJ's pizza (or Mobtown pizza), have a pizza and a pazookie and then head to Newport to watch the sun go down over the Pacific with the sailboats in the distance. ::sigh::

Last edited by justhere; 02-28-2009 at 02:01 PM..

Old 02-28-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justhere View Post
I want to steal this list, chew it up and blow a bubble! Good list. Variety & Diversity? Who knew I would miss it sooooo much?! People in California are open minded and I miss that also. They want to 'do business' so if you suggest something they've never heard of which will help them 'do business' or 'do more business' they are all ears and quick to act. The great weather in California has faded over the years, the humidity and heat has just 'changed' and I was yipping about that summer before last when it was 101 in the OC and I got prickly heat for the first time. But you know what? At least the bugs aren't gnawing on you like a Serenghetti carcass lying in the hot desert sun! In the midwest and South you are that carcass... ALL.... Summer...looooooong -- I have so many marks from these bugs that look like they zoomed right out of Dune, that it isn't even funny any more. The small bubble? Thats a another thread altogether for me. Its rainy outside, dreary and I'm having a rather salty day. Sorry for the rant If I was in California today, I'd go have a BJ's pizza and then head to Newport to watch the sun go down. ::sigh::
don't know what kind of bugs left marks, but you have that right about bugs in the midwest and south compared to Calif, especially SoCa, depending on where you live. Ca doesn't have chiggers, for sure nor do they have many misquitos. They do have black widows, rattle snakes and ticks but only in the foothills. That is one thing I do miss (no, not the ticks) the lack of creapy crawlers..

Nita

Old 02-28-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
^^ So whats your overall point?

You keep responding to posts with just another statement but no real argument.

"Cities Suck"- I think thats what you are trying to get at.
who are you referring to? There are a few who do not think L.A or Ca is the perfect place to live, but I am not certain who is saying "Cities Suck"

Nita

Old 02-28-2009, 01:59 PM

749 posts, read 1,792,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justhere View Post
I want to steal this list, chew it up and blow a bubble! Good list. Variety & Diversity? Who knew I would miss it sooooo much?! People in California are open minded and I miss that also. They want to 'do business' so if you suggest something they've never heard of which will help them 'do business' or 'do more business' they are all ears and quick to act. The great weather in California has faded over the years, the humidity and heat has just 'changed' and I was yipping about that summer before last when it was 101 in the OC and I got prickly heat for the first time. But you know what? At least the bugs aren't gnawing on you like a Serenghetti carcass lying in the hot desert sun! In the midwest and South you are that carcass... ALL.... Summer...looooooong -- I have so many marks from these bugs that look like they zoomed right out of "Dune", that it isn't even funny any more. The small bubble? Thats a another thread altogether for me. Its rainy outside, dreary and I'm having a rather salty day. Sorry for the rant If I was in California today, I'd go have a BJ's pizza or Mobtown, have a pizza and a pazookie and then head to Newport to watch the sun go down. ::sigh::

LOL justhere. I agree with you 110%! We're in TN also. Moved from Southern California a year and a half ago. We are in the process of getting back to California. TN just wasn't for us. Beautiful countryside but that's all it has going for it. Can't wait to get back to the sunshine and also watch those beautiful sunsets. I know California has it's problems but everywhere has problems. That grass didn't get any greener here for sure. We did learn a lesson!!

Old 02-28-2009, 02:11 PM

635 posts, read 1,689,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueyedCat View Post
LOL justhere. I agree with you 110%! We're in TN also. Moved from Southern California a year and a half ago. We are in the process of getting back to California. TN just wasn't for us. Beautiful countryside but that's all it has going for it. Can't wait to get back to the sunshine and also watch those beautiful sunsets. I know California has it's problems but everywhere has problems. That grass didn't get any greener here for sure. We did learn a lesson!!
I am waiting for DH to catch on ... I'm being REALLY patient, because I want the decision to finally be his so that he won't be bitter later. Its really hard for him to admit he loves California because he has so many truly good and warm friends here in TN.

The bugs I mentioned? I've yet to actually 'see' what on earth bit me like the Last Supper all Summer but whatever 'it' is, I'm allergic to 'it'. Seem to hit me up most in East Ridge. Bites would swell, turn red, then dark red, then dark marks and then just peel at the site over and over like a blister. It was, to say the least a real TRIP. In California, they spray everything so thoroughly that most bugs just past you by.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:28 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,203,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
Good riddance. Most of the people from the east coast that I've encountered never trully allow themselves to let go of their love for the east coast. They are rude and offer up opinions without anyone asking. I never ask an east coaster "what do you think of L.A?" and yet I get a full report on how the weather sucks because there are no "real seasons" or how L.A. is a "glorified suburb" compared to the compacted cities in New York or New Jersey.
Chicagoans miss the snow, White Castle (those burgers suck!) and the pizza yet, when you go to Chicago, it's extremely segregated racialy and people are very intolerant of interracial relationships. That's something I just can't have since I'm IN an interracial marriage. It's too bad because the city is awesome and has lots to offer to tourists but the people really screw the place up. The old, "nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there" sums up Chicago for me.
Seriously, if you are happy in the east coast, why did you come here in the first place?
Wash DC native here: born/raised; left there in 1978 for California (mostly SoCal; the Bay Area does not agree with me) then Arizona in 1989 and have yet to return to DC even for a visit.

Now for weird: several people who knew me back there thought I had a 'West Coast' vibe----------which may have explained why I hated DC. Although the skanky weather back there did not help at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles