Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 04:19 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times

Advertisements

Rosamond isn't even in the middle of nowhere. It's on the far side of nowhere. You have to drive to the middle of nowhere and then to the close side of nowhere before you get near any civilization at all.

It's maybe 20 miles to Lancaster, with libraries and theaters. You'll have to drive into Los Angeles (2 hours drive or more) before you'll find any but the tiniest cultural attractions.

I wish you could just see Rosamond. That would settle things immediately that it's no place anybody would want to live. Some people would say the same about Lancaster, but at least Lancaster has the modern conveniences. And Lancaster could be regarded as the "big city" if you lived in Rosamond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 04:24 PM

93 posts, read 269,833 times
Quote:
Rosamond isn't even in the middle of nowhere. It's on the far side of nowhere. You have to drive to the middle of nowhere and then to the close side of nowhere before you get near any civilization at all.

It's maybe 20 miles to Lancaster, with libraries and theaters. You'll have to drive into Los Angeles (2 hours drive or more) before you'll find any but the tiniest cultural attractions.

I wish you could just see Rosamond. That would settle things immediately that it's no place anybody would want to live. Some people would say the same about Lancaster, but at least Lancaster has the modern conveniences. And Lancaster could be regarded as the "big city" if you lived in Rosamond.
Ok, so how good is the cultural scene in Lancaster/Palmdale then?

Old 02-18-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy upwood View Post
It's virtually absent. Lancaster and Palmdale are bedroom communities for people who work in Los Angeles but can't afford the closer in bedroom communities.

I can't think of a single cultural attraction in Lancaster or Palmdale, unless your idea of cultural attractions is trailer parks.

It doesn't make sense to find a place out in the middle of nowhere (or the far side) and then expect it to have cultural attractions. If you want cultural attractions, go to a place that has them.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:35 PM

158 posts, read 604,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy upwood View Post
Both towns have a performing arts center; Lancaster's is much bigger and nicer. I'm sure you can google them and see what kinds of things they offer.

As far as museums or anything, no, not really. Both towns have a library and Palmdale has a youth library, but they are nothing big and fancy. Adequate, I'd say.

Lancaster and Palmdale are not destinations. They are cities where people live and raise their families. Most people commute to LA. Usually if you want to go to a concert or some special event, you'll be driving to LA. I, personally, prefer it that way. But if you want to be able to walk downtown and see all kinds of wonderful cultural things going on, this is not that place.

And as I say, Rosamond is even farther away from being that place, in every sense of the word "farther."

Old 02-18-2009, 06:29 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,276,566 times
Some more questions :

- What's the climate like - esp in terms of sunshine ?

More sun than you know what to do with. It really is one of those places that it always sunny.

- Is it possible to have a hobby farm in Rosamond and raise cattle and horses ?

I don't think that is a problem.

- Is the commute to LA do-able ?

Insane

- Is there a Wall-Mart and/or Costco in Lancaster / Palmdale

All flavors of supershopping.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:35 PM

Lancaster has all the big box stores.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:19 AM

27 posts, read 75,251 times
When I think of Rosamond, I think of Erin Brockavich. If you move there, dont drink the water, no matter what any report says!

There is the Lancaster Performing Arts Center, a nice library in Lancaster, no major museums. As for nightlife, you might want to drive to Santa Clarita and try singles night at the Hyatt.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:19 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrancis View Post
When I think of Rosamond, I think of Erin Brockavich. If you move there, dont drink the water, no matter what any report says!
'Erin Brockovich' happened in Hinkley, some 70 miles to the east of Rosamond.

I like Rosamond, living in Rosamond would be near heaven after previously living in Ridgecrest (an hour to the north from Rosamond).

I don't see what's so wrong with Rosamond. Small town, on the edge of nowhere, not terribly far from suburban conveniences. Cheap. What's not to like? Rosamond has a grocery store. There is a Foster's Freeze there. There's a few other fast-food joints, and probably a restaurant or two. Wal-Mart (and other big boxes) are just a short jaunt down the 14 to Lancaster. You don't need big boxes everyday, do you?

The OP could be happy there. I'd personally prefer Rosamond to Lancaster/Palmdale.

Thanks folks, for making me un-miss CA. You guys are too much!!!

Old 03-02-2009, 07:20 AM

277 posts, read 626,992 times
Rosamond also has Willow Springs Raceway if you like motorsports. Many years ago I considered moving to Rosamond so it would be easier for me to practice my motorsports photography.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:53 PM

48 posts, read 147,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneb View Post
Rosamond also has Willow Springs Raceway if you like motorsports. Many years ago I considered moving to Rosamond so it would be easier for me to practice my motorsports photography.
They also have a skypark if you're a private pilot. House, hangar, and access to the private runway. $$$ though.

One thing to remember is that Rosamond doesn't have the gang/crime/section 8 problems that Palmdale/Lancaster do. Insurance and taxes are also cheaper since they're in Kern County, not LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles