Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2009, 10:32 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,393,677 times

Advertisements

If you are one of the fortunate who is gamefully employed in the Los Angeles area, and are not at risk of loosing your job within the foreseeable future, tell us about your line of work.

What is required to be employed in your line of work?

How long have you done it for?

What advice can you offer those seeking to enter this field?

Aside from job stability, name other pro's and con's of your line of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 01:21 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
I work in healthcare in the facilities end of things. I manage a large portfolio of realestate that is owned by the Healthcare organization. We own 2 hospitals, 9 clinics spread around Ventura County, medical office buildings, other office buildings, homes that are next to our property ( kind of a buffer zone.) Currently we are in the design stages for a new 242 bed 6 story hospital that will replace an aging facility. The old building, an 8 story building will be converted into a medical office building and will connect to the new hospital by way of several glass enclosed sky bridges and basement access.
My specific field is within facilities managment and engineering. I have an engineering background although we have individuals from all trades. The fact is that I started in Plant Operations and Maintenance. I was a locksmith when I started working at the hospital. During my time at the hospital I went on to get my MBA, I joined IFMA and AFE and maintain certifications within those organizations. My goal is to complete an Engineering degree to top off my background. The education is a plus and will help anyone wanting to get into the field future leadership roles within an organization. It can be hard to get into this line of work as many that are working like to stay for the duration of their careers. Within the facilities end of things people start in maintenance or plant operations. Most have a trade that they have worked for a period of time. From that point an individual could move into managing a specific function of the department. Growth can also occur when an individual becomes a project manager overseeing specific projects that are either long term or short term projects. The standard supervisory, management positions are the next steps within the process, eventually leading up to a position as an assistant Director or as the Department Director. From their the position moves into the VP role as a Vice President of Facilities and Construction and eventually into the COO position. Maybe for the lucky individual a CEO job is within their grasp.

Hospitals are like mini cities. Name a job and the hospital has someone doing that. Many within an organization start in one field and end up working in another line of work. We have nurses that are now teachers that instruct other nurses. They are part of the education department within the hospital. We have patient transporters that went on to enter nursing programs and are now nurses. we have nurses that are now managing departments within the hospital. I know a guy that started out working in the cafeteria and now is a scrub tech at our same day surgery unit.
Healthcare has held its own during the down turn allthough our specific facility is not hiring at this time, other than for nurses. Our problem isn't with the current economic climate so much as it is the need to accomplish more with less so that our resources can be used for the new building. Other facilities may have a major need to fill, in any given area of the business.

For me I love healthcare. If I were to enter the field now, I would become a nurse. It is one job that has a low cost to enter and a short time frame to gain the needed education. California hospitals can't seem to fill the need for nurses and are willing to pay. This is expanded upon when you consider nurse to patient ratios. Additionally if I were to enter the field I would want to go into ER nursing, or critical care nursing. More action in the ER and even more money in critical care. Starting hourly base pay is in the high $20 to mid $30 an hour range. Depending on the dicipline a nurse chooses to enter the pay can increase anywhere from a couple dollars to $10 dollars an hour more. How would you like to work 3 twelve hour shifts and make a starting pay of $30 an hour with the potential to bring in over $100,000 a year over time?

Old 02-08-2009, 09:55 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
Ha, I was just going to say "healthcare"! But Soon2B answered beautifully! I agree. This may be the one area where we see continued growth or at least some stability.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:45 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,304,518 times
At the USC career fair last week, I learned about one job that if you can get it, it will be stable-- working for the California State Board of Equalization (aka the tax collectors). They are one of only two state gov agencies that WILL be receiving their full paychecks, no budget cuts, since they are the only ones who are bringing in the money, rather than spending it. And of all the 100+ different employers they had at the career fair, they were one of the only ones actually hiring.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:04 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,726,531 times
I work in a BioMedical field...but basically we make lithium-ion batteries for government projects, Boeing, NASA, and other medical supplies(implantable batts).........but we're privately owned and get government fundning, so that's why we're safer.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:36 AM

672 posts, read 2,174,801 times
I've worked as an aerospace engineer in LA/OC for a decade or so. We're still hiring.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:50 PM

225 posts, read 1,090,381 times
I don't work in any of these fields, sadly, but my guess is the growth areas are going to be the federal government, health, environmental regulation, and of course bankruptcy law. Oh, and if things really get ugly, private security.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:07 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,662,427 times
for stable jobs in LA. any medical profession and LAW ENFORCEMENT

Old 02-11-2009, 05:12 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
I've worked as an aerospace engineer in LA/OC for a decade or so. We're still hiring.
Northrop Grumman has an absolute ton of openings in California. Many have relocation benefits. Almost all require a security clearance or the ability to obtain one.

However the jury is still out on how the Obama Administration will be handling big ticket defense projects (F-22, FCS, Ballistic Missile Defense Systems, European Capability Missile Defense Systems, etc.) On the one hand those big projects cost money (BMDS is $10B per year - that's billion with a "B"); On the other, they employ lots of people and the suppliers and employers are spread all over the country - in many congressional districts.

We'll see, Boeing, Raytheon, Northrop Grumman, and Lockheed stock prices are all down like 50% (quick glance) from a year ago.

Last edited by Charles; 02-11-2009 at 05:22 PM..

Old 02-11-2009, 05:28 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
As some have said Engineering is a very good career choice. and as Charles has hinted at, we may not know what is going to happen with the change in Presidents. My wifes cousin is a Mechanical Engineer and does very well financially. She designs sytems that the military uses. Right now her and others she works with are wondering what will happen with the new Administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: