Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,334 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this is a silly - but we bought a house about 5 years ago and when we bought it the assessed square footage was 1750. The garage which was attached was turned into a family room back in 1954 and it was permitted, but no plans were done or turned it.
When we did a refinance, the sqaure footage that they came up with was about 700 sq footage more than what the assessors office states. We think that back in 1954 that even though it was permitted the square footage was never added.
Is there a real reason to get it adjusted? If we do adjust it can they come after us for back taxes owed? What benefits or disadvantages are there to getting this sq footage added?
Here is my take - my only concern is my HO insurance which has the square footage listed as the lower amount - if anything happens to the house wouldn't we only be covered for the assessed square footage? Thus leaving us high and dry for the remaining actual amount of square footage...that is scary! Can anyone help me with this? Thanks for your time everyone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 01:55 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,244,841 times
Notifying the govt and letting them change things is opening a can of worms which will bite you in the rear.

As for your insurance, talk to your agent. You aren't the first person with this issue.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:01 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,771,607 times
the only benefit i can think of would be you would add it to your MLS listing whenever you sell the house. that added 700sqft looks nice to a lot of buyers that wouldnt otherwise be listed if it was not under permit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: