Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 07:09 PM

27 posts, read 184,923 times

Advertisements

driving from Torrance to Westwood (Wilshire cross Veteran) with the following route starting at 6:30am is a viable route, time-wise:

Torrance --> Westwood (Wilshire/Veteran):
  • Take Pacific Coast Highway North in Torrance
  • Becomes N. Sepulveda
  • Becomes S. Sepulveda
  • Turn right on Wilshire Blvd. (Westwood)
  • Left on Veteran
Will this be longer time-wise than taking the 405 freeway? Can I arrive in one piece in less than 1 hour?

I know eventually I'll have to give it a dry run myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 09:19 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
I'm also curious about how such a commute works. For the first half of the drive (getting to north of the airport), how would taking Hawthorne Blvd a long way north, then possibly La Brea or La Cienaga to Slauson, then over to Sepulveda compare with taking PCH/Sepulveda the whole way? Also, how does a nearby street like Sawtelle (frontage road immediately west of the 405) compare to Sepulveda when going through Culver City/West LA parallel to the 405?

Old 01-19-2009, 10:11 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
even though the 405 is slow, i'm nearly certain it would be faster than taking the side streets. at 6:30am, traffic should move prett well until atleast la cienega. at that point, your better off just staying on the freeway all the way up to wilshire. the parellel streets (sepulveda, centinela, sawtelle, overland...) are just as bad or worse than the 405 once you get up to the westside. one street that you absolutely want to avoid at all costs is lincoln. you would probably never end up that far west, but just make sure you never do. lincoln is parking lot from the 10 all the way down to westchester. the 5 mile stretch can easily take an hour.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:39 PM

10 posts, read 40,289 times
Here is your commute on the 405 vs. street

Starting on the 405 @ 6:30am, I will use Crenshaw Blvd. as the onramp.
The freeway traffic will be heavy but moving at 6:30 am, it will move 50-65 MPH between Inglewood Ave & LAX and come to a screeching halt when you reach LAX airport/Manchester/La Tierja. From that point it will be stop & go all the way to Wilshire Blvd.

Estimated commute time on a good day, no rain, non-carpool lane, no accidents, or stalled vehicles, 1hr 15 min. to 1 hr 30min.

I used to do this commute 15 years ago, Torrance to Venice it took me exactly 40 minutes. Of course, that was when there were 5-6 million fewer residents in So. Cal.

Commute by street via Sepulveda Blvd. starting in Torrance, minimum of 1 ½ hours to 2 hours, in stop & go traffic. The only place where the lights are synchronized is in the city of Manhattan Beach and part of El Segundo.

Remember there will be buses in the right lane, delivery trucks all over the place and motorists with horrific driving skills. ( I use the term driving skills lightly).

I would rather scratch my eyes out than drive on the northbound 405 in the morning during the week.

My only suggestion would be to leave earlier.

Good Luck!!!

Last edited by HappyDaffodils; 01-20-2009 at 01:48 PM..

Old 01-20-2009, 02:23 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,417,835 times
The 405N can't be THAT bad at 6:30...

Old 01-20-2009, 02:34 PM

672 posts, read 2,174,512 times
Speed on a bicycle through LA is about 10 miles/hour because of the street lights. Torrance to Westwood is about 20 miles. So when your one-way commute is more than two hours, you'll be faster riding a bike.

It takes about 2 1/2 hours to walk 10 miles. So when your one-way commute is longer than 5 hours, it'll be faster walking.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,660 times
Default Need someone to carpool with:)

Hey everyone,
I drive the 405 route from Torrance to Brentwood everyday... I leave Torrance at 7 am eaves takes at least 1 1/2 hrs and I leave Brentwood at 1:30pm. The drive is hell but in the carpool lane it's like 45 minutes! Anyone wanto carpool??? We will split the gas and save a ton of time!!

I am 21 years old, female and am looking for females only to carpool with.

Call me if your interested:
Mushky
410-530-7332

Old 01-20-2011, 06:14 PM

109 posts, read 204,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmfg888 View Post
driving from Torrance to Westwood (Wilshire cross Veteran) with the following route starting at 6:30am is a viable route, time-wise:

Torrance --> Westwood (Wilshire/Veteran):
  • Take Pacific Coast Highway North in Torrance
  • Becomes N. Sepulveda
  • Becomes S. Sepulveda
  • Turn right on Wilshire Blvd. (Westwood)
  • Left on Veteran
Will this be longer time-wise than taking the 405 freeway? Can I arrive in one piece in less than 1 hour?

I know eventually I'll have to give it a dry run myself.
You will find your answer at maps.google.com

Change the traffic time frame to your projected time and day.

The 405 will probably be the best route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles