Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 06:46 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,526,311 times

Advertisements

I think you are in need of an attorney that specializes in real estate law.

A professional third party with the ability to bite back is the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 07:24 AM

3 posts, read 3,570 times
PLEASE READ MY TRUE STORY ABOUT BLACKMAIL AND EXTORTION FROM A TENANT!

i have a tenant who is very bad news.

his temporary lease expired a long time ago and he is only month to month and has a shared room for very cheap rent because he can not afford his own apartment.

he has blackmailed me recently on paper, stating that he will be 3 weeks late with the rent and if i try to evict him during the three weeks or after, then he will report me to the irs for not paying taxes (which is NOT true since i have used a licensed accountant for longer than i have ever known him and never had problems with the irs, ever!).

plus he wants to report me for running an illegal hostel in which i do NOT have one.

all of the tenants are POOR and can NOT afford their own apartments.

he is a BIG PROBLEM, always bringing his girlfriend over and friends sleeping over, using my facilities for free, using me, threatening me on paper, etc.

i have the evidence and do not feel very comfortable.

he is expecting to stay for free unless i evict him and if i evict him, he is reporting me.

this sounds like blackmail, extortion, or a crime that he is committing.

he threatens to have me put in jail or prison and i have never had a criminal record in my life, nor do i want one.

not only that, but he is NOT even an american citizen to top it off.

he is from ecuador.

can anybody help me out with any advice?

thank you.

hps

Old 12-25-2011, 07:25 AM

3 posts, read 3,570 times
If anybody has had a similar experience or can advise, that would be great!

I am going to evict him, regardless and the eviction company has their own lawyers, so please in your response, don´t tell me to get a lawyer, i already know that and already have one.

Thank you

Old 01-02-2012, 06:35 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,367,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWARDSHORE1970 View Post
If anybody has had a similar experience or can advise, that would be great!

I am going to evict him, regardless and the eviction company has their own lawyers, so please in your response, don´t tell me to get a lawyer, i already know that and already have one.

Thank you
You may want to start a new thread w/ this eviction question as the one you posted to is 3 yrs old.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:47 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,959,946 times
Extortion is a crime.... However, he can still report.
In fact, I'm going to drive to LA next weekend, find the house where I was renting a room from abusive landlords, and I WILL REPORT their illegal conversion. WILL SEE HOW THEY'RE GONNA FEEL
Ahaha, great idea from this thread! Beats breaking their car windows I mean!!...

Old 01-05-2012, 01:19 AM

50 posts, read 59,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWARDSHORE1970 View Post
PLEASE READ MY TRUE STORY ABOUT BLACKMAIL AND EXTORTION FROM A TENANT!

i have a tenant who is very bad news.

his temporary lease expired a long time ago and he is only month to month and has a shared room for very cheap rent because he can not afford his own apartment.

he has blackmailed me recently on paper, stating that he will be 3 weeks late with the rent and if i try to evict him during the three weeks or after, then he will report me to the irs for not paying taxes (which is NOT true since i have used a licensed accountant for longer than i have ever known him and never had problems with the irs, ever!).

plus he wants to report me for running an illegal hostel in which i do NOT have one.

all of the tenants are POOR and can NOT afford their own apartments.

he is a BIG PROBLEM, always bringing his girlfriend over and friends sleeping over, using my facilities for free, using me, threatening me on paper, etc.

i have the evidence and do not feel very comfortable.

he is expecting to stay for free unless i evict him and if i evict him, he is reporting me.

this sounds like blackmail, extortion, or a crime that he is committing.

he threatens to have me put in jail or prison and i have never had a criminal record in my life, nor do i want one.

not only that, but he is NOT even an american citizen to top it off.

he is from ecuador.

can anybody help me out with any advice?

thank you.

hps
why are your giving this jerk power. If you have a legal apartment and are relatively law abiding, evict him. In fact I would give him a cell phone and call the IRS and the City and tell him to tell them all about the illegal hostel and whatever crap he can conjure up.

Seriously evict him. And if you have any of this on paper call the cops and see if you can't have him arrested or at least file a complaint first. if he's a guest here a criminal record ain't going to help his status. He should be the one afraid not you. Some folks on this thread need to revisit the wizard of oz.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:22 PM

293 posts, read 896,400 times
Talking Nah, its not really a big deal

I also converted my garage into a living tenant, then the city told me to make it legal. You won't get jail time or anything, they are just going to issue you like a notice until you revert your garage into a living space. The city is going to give you a timeframe like three months to convert it back the way it was, if not you are going get a big penalty.

Then you can kick your tenant out and give him jail time for extortion, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles