Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,269 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone...I've found some valuable advice on this forum in the past and am hoping you can help me with an urgent problem I'm having right now.

I just moved into an apt, have spent only 2 nights there and have noticed a roach problem. The landlord let me move in a few days early (October 29th) but has not yet had me sign a lease, which would have been a year long lease starting November 1st. I gave him my first month's rent + deposit (900+700) and have receipts proving that I've paid these amounts. My things are still in boxes and I went to speak with him today about the roach problem. They sprayed and I was shocked to come back to the apt. and find quite a lot of dead roaches, eggs/casings and roach feces (gross, I know). I took pictures of the mess just in case.

My question to all of you is: Am I entitled to my rent and deposit back considering I never signed a lease, I've inhabited the space for only a couple of days, have receipts proving payment of those initial costs and want to move out as a result of vermin, not just because of a fickle mind change? Please advise... I need to act quickly! Also, I'm willing to offer the landlord a week of prorated rent as recompense for the time he lost showing the unit to other tenants when he thought I was going to sign the lease.

Thank you allll and I'd appreciate any advice you can offer...I could not find anything specific to this situation in the California Tenant Laws and am a transplant from out of state so am unfamiliar with them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 07:03 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times
I don't know the answer to your question, but who don't you call the L.A. Housing Dept. and ask them? 866-557-RENT. Also, you might want to contact the Health Department at (626) 430-5461. That number is for the L.A. County Health Department, by the way.

More info can be found here:

LAHD Systems

Old 11-03-2008, 07:33 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
If you rent in CA without a lease your rental period is based on the interval rent is paid.

If you pay weekly, you are week to week... monthly, you are month to month.

California has no State requirement requiring Rental Agreements be in writing if the period of period is one year or less. I don't know if your unit is covered by local rent control. If it is, there is an entire body of local ordinances that will apply in addition to State law.

Having a receipt for first month's rent and deposit and receiving the possession of the unit would seem to be prima facia evidence of a Landlord/Tenant relationship.

That said... in a worst case scenario you would be on the hook for no more than one months rent from the date of your 30 days notice to move...

In order for the unit to be rented, it must be habitable as defined by CA statute. Habitability could be in question based on the problem you've described.

Here is a link for additional info:
Landlord/Tenant Book Index - California Department of Consumer Affairs

A practical solution would be to come to terms, in writing, with the Landlord. If this isn't possible, you need to document the problem as Sandy mentioned.

Roaches can be controlled but only with a comprehensive pest control program and that takes at least several systematic applications over time.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,710 times
roaches should have to pay rent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles