Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2008, 08:26 AM

3 posts, read 5,626 times

Advertisements

Hi
I am a recent Music Industry graduate and do not want to work in NYC. I have been looking into other cities (MIA, Boston, Atlanta) but none of them really appeal to me. I am a 26 year old single female, and really not into the uptight lifestyle of NYC and am seriously thinking of moving to LA. I need to be in a largish city with things to do, but somewhere not as high strung as the north east.
I just need some other opinions of people who live there and who might be in the music industry to let me know what it's like.
I know applying for jobs right now is not the greatest, but I do have some money saved, so as far as living unemployed for a while is not really too much of a concern. I am more interested in other people's views of NYC vs LA as far as the entertainment industry goes.
Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 10:47 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,304,360 times
i work in the music industry. more specifically, i work for an accounting firm that specialized in the music industry. i have been to all of the major record labels' and publishers' offices in the area and have a pretty good idea of how things work here in LA.

First let me tell you that all the major labels are tightening their belts right now. UMG just closed their NY office not too long ago and I believe WMG is trying to do the same. EMI has a small presenece in LA at the Capitol Records building and Sony is in town as well, but Universal and Warner are the 'big boy's if you will.

A lot of people temp with UMG and WMG in hopes of getting a full time gig. They also take a lot interns from what I undersand, but i don't know if they pay or not. If you are able to get a full time gig, be prepared to be underpaid and overworked. as for getting a full time job, it really helps if you have some experience. it sounds like you have a degree in the music industry, but if you have no connections in LA, it will probably still be difficult getting a job.

if you are more interested in the publishing side of things, you'll probably be better off. music publishers are feeling the pinch nearly as much from diminishing record sales. there are a number of big music publishers out here as well, UMPG and Warner Chappell are the big ones, but there is a whole slew of others.

Generally speaking the publishers are located on the westside of town and the record labels are in the valley. however, there are many expceptions to this. the point i'm trying make here is that you won't want to pick where you live until you know where you're going to be working. traffic here is bad, so you'll definitely want to stay within a 10 mile radius of your office if you want to keep your commute under an hour. i've used the busses here and they're not as bad as some people say, but its slower than driving and they are often not on time. i bought a vespa and that is how i commute, but i know that scooters are not for everybody.

anyway, good luck!!!

Old 10-27-2008, 11:07 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,846,002 times
Not sure what you're looking for, but my brother is an audio engineer and does freelance work recording/mastering stuff for local bands and bands affilliated with the indie-tier labels he works with. He graduated from an industry school and has had some minor opportunities, but mostly he has to create his own opportunities. To supplement his income and resume he does event audio at a local theme park as well. Music is big here, but without experience you're probably going to be doing something less than what you hoped for until you work your way into what you want.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:08 PM

3 posts, read 5,626 times
Thanks for the responses! As far as experience goes I have done 2 internships already in NY one with RCA and another with a smaller artist management co. I know right now is not a good time to be looking for a job, but I just wanted to know what to expect and making sure I'm not barking up the wrong tree for wanting to come out there.
Thanks again for the good tips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles