Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 01:37 PM

9 posts, read 21,319 times

Advertisements

I am moving to L.A. in January and would appreciate some feedback regarding the following scenario:

I will be graduating law school, and taking the CA bar exam at the end of February. I intend on spending my days (and some nights) at a law school library studying for the bar exam. My inquiry is based on finding the "best" area. Defining "best" is difficult; I suppose I am referring to safety/affordability, but there are other factors I am surely unaware of.

I realize there are several law schools in the L.A. area, and I want to live close to the law school where it is a decent environment which will permit me to walk - or a short drive - to the law school.

Loyola? UCLA? USC? La Verne? Southwestern? Am I leaving out any schools?

Advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 02:28 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times
I suggest UCLA which has a beautiful campus and is located in a very upscale part of town. Westwood, if you can afford it, is a nice place to live and Westwoood Village, where the campus is located, is full of coffee shops, restaurants, stores, and movie theatres which will provide a nice diversion if you need a study break or as you walk to and from campus.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:31 PM

8 posts, read 38,603 times
I live in Marina del Rey near LMU. It's a great area that is more "chill" than downtown area where USC is. I think it's even more laid back then UCLA area in Westwood, from what I can tell. Depends what kind of environment you want. Around USC or UCLA would have more shops, but you would want to live somewhere where you can walk everywhere because parking is bad. Near LMU, there is Playa del Rey, and the Playa Vista developements which is like a planned community with everything an average family needs-- grocery store, movie theatre, restuarants, Home Depot, post office, library, etc. There are more of those in the MDR area which is close.

Good luck with the bar, I don't envy you.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:11 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,782 times
My wife is a Loyola grad (Under and Law School) and it's a beautiful campus with easy access from many surrounding towns- Marina del Rey, Play del Rey, El Segundo, Culver City, Westchester, etc. Not to slight the other University's that you mention, but I'm partial to west of the 405 and the small "towns" that don't require hours in traffic. No one minds the traffic if they're headed out for a night on the town. I, too, wish you the best of luck on the bar exam.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:19 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times
No disrespect to the two posters who suggest LMU, but I think it's important to point out that Loyola Law School is located in a not so desirable area west of downtown and not on the LMU campus in Westchester.

Since the OP is looking for a law library at which to study, LMU won't meet his/her need.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:43 PM

8 posts, read 38,603 times
Yes, I realized today that the LMU lawschool is near downtown. Not a very nice area.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:04 AM

5 posts, read 39,725 times
There is no need to limit yourself to a law school library. Your prep course will give you all the study materials you need, and you won't be doing any "legal research" apart from that. Live near wherever the prep course is taught to limit your stress. You can study just as well in a quiet coffee shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles