Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 01:28 AM

13 posts, read 32,037 times

Advertisements

Hello, all! I'm getting ready to finish up my degree in Business Mgmt. (minor in Marketing) from Marshall University and have had some serious thoughts on relocating to the Los Angeles area. I was just wondering how difficult it is to find an entry-level position in Los Angeles with a well-established company/business? To be honest, what draws me to Los Angeles is the entertainment industry. I'm very much into music and would love to have it involved in some shape or form in my business career. Since I'm definitely not good enough to be a professional musician, I figured the next best thing would be to work on the business side of music. However, I realize that the entertainment industry (even entry-level positions) are very competitive and hard to come by. So, generally speaking, if the music idea did not work out would I still be able to locate a decent job with my degree and live a semi-comfortable life in Los Angeles given my education level and areas of study? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 06:17 AM

2 posts, read 4,802 times
My advice won't be too coll but First of all decide who you want to be and what job you want to recieve. Then you can go on [URL="http://www.howstuffworks.com"]www.howstuffworks.com[/URL] and find there some information about your future job I did so. Best luck with your dream =))))

Old 09-28-2008, 07:51 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWA13 View Post
I was just wondering how difficult it is to find an entry-level position in Los Angeles with a well-established company/business?

California unemployment rate soars to 7.7% in August - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-fi-caljobs20-2008sep20,0,4122020.story - broken link)

Quote:
I realize that the entertainment industry (even entry-level positions) are very competitive and hard to come by.

I still be able to locate a decent job with my degree and live a semi-comfortable life in Los Angeles
Have you an estimate of what you will be earning?

Have you priced housing options?

(http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-fi-caljobs20-2008sep20,0,4122020.story - broken link)

Old 09-28-2008, 02:14 PM

142 posts, read 754,801 times
Try to get a job before you move here. If you can't, then make sure you have saved a lot of money to survive for a few months (five or six months) while you look for employment. There's a lot of jobs here, but there's a lot of competition for these jobs also. In my experience and what I have heard from people, there are hundreds of applicants for each position that is posted. It's doable, but make sure you're prepared. Also, if you can afford it, you should try to intern in a company for an entertainment business intership. That'll let you learn, get experience, and get contacts to later get a job.

Good luck!

Old 09-28-2008, 04:11 PM

Just wanted to say that I appreciate all the advice that has been given! I guess I was pretty vague in trying to explain what I'm actually striving to do. That must be what happens when you try to express your concerns/thoughts at 3am in the morning. Haha...

Anyhow, HotFudge, you kind of hit the nail on the head with your reply. The question that I am struggling with right now is whether or not it would be possible for me to find a job online in the Los Angeles area and THEN relocate. In other words, are the businesses in Los Angeles open to bringing in kids from my background (degree with no entry-level work experience) simply based on a resume that they receive from their web-site/e-mail? Or is it pretty much a given that I need to save up money, relocate, and then start applying to businesses in Los Angeles? The reason I ask about this is that I have actually applied for some internships with record labels in SoCal, even talking one-on-one with some of the head honchos, but no one seems to want to take the leap in bringing in someone from the East Coast. Keep in mind, I realize that in either scenario that I'm going to need some funds. However, if I need to relocate without having a job, naturally I'm going to have to put back some more money in order to survive until I find a job.

Like I mentioned before, I would really like to be involved on the business side of the music industry. The next best thing would be in some form of entertainment. And of course, if those jobs aren't feasible, my door is open to any type of entry-level management position that I would be qualified for. I know that sounds horrible, but I'm not in the position to be picky about jobs right now. I may have a degree, and have some decent work experience for someone my age, but nothing that would leap off my resume to a big-time employer. I, at least, need an entry-level position at a respected employer to have that and I'm hoping I can find that in California and not have to stay here in WV any longer than I would like. It's always been a goal of mine to make a life for myself in California, but at the same time, I'm trying to be realistic about it...which is why I'm feeling out the situation on this forum. So, any help or advice would be appreciated.

And to answer your questions...

Have you an estimate of what you will be earning? This is going to vary by my choice of field, but my research shows that with my degree I would have a starting salary of anywhere from $30,000 - $40,000.

Have you priced housing options? I actually have. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a 1BR apartment in decent area in Los Angeles (say Burbank) would run me about $1,200 - $1,500.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:

And to answer your questions...

Have you an estimate of what you will be earning? This is going to vary by my choice of field, but my research shows that with my degree I would have a starting salary of anywhere from $30,000 - $40,000.

Have you priced housing options? I actually have. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a 1BR apartment in decent area in Los Angeles (say Burbank) would run me about $1,200 - $1,500.
Isn't that stretching it a bit?
$35K/year = $2920/month.
$1200/$2920 is 41% of your income
$1500/$2920 is 51% of your income
I just read this:

""We need a new solution," Donna Rodriguez said Saturday. The account manager, who lives in Silver Lake, said she makes $42,000 a year and spends half of her take-home pay on the $1,150 rent for her one-bedroom apartment."

and

"The mayor will propose a $5-billion, five-year effort to build homes for the poor and middle class. But some wonder whether it is feasible."

from

Villaraigosa to unveil L.A. housing plan - Los Angeles Times

Last edited by Charles; 09-28-2008 at 04:52 PM..

Old 09-28-2008, 04:37 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
$35K/year = $2920/month.
Cost of living in paradise.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
$35K/year = $2920/month.
Yes, but keep in mind that is a starting salary. It's inevitable that I will have to cut back on spending until I work myself up. That is, if I choose to relocate without any type of entry-level experience. Also, that salary figure that I threw out there was a national average. After further review, I found that a business manager (no experience) in the music industry in Los Angeles makes on average $40,364. Yeah, that's a little increase in salary..but every cent counts. Like I said, though..until I can get some experience under my belt and earn some more money...I will definitely have to make some cutbacks.

PayScale Salary Reports

Old 09-28-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, but keep in mind that is a starting salary. It's inevitable that I will have to cut back on spending until I work myself up. That is, if I choose to relocate without any type of entry-level experience. Also, that salary figure that I threw out there was a national average. After further review, I found that a business manager (no experience) in the music industry in Los Angeles makes on average $40,364. Yeah, that's a little increase in salary..but every cent counts. Like I said, though..until I can get some experience under my belt and earn some more money...I will definitely have to make some cutbacks.

PayScale Salary Reports
You could also just get a studio instead of a one bedroom?

Old 09-28-2008, 05:16 PM

Charles,

Sorry, I completely overlooked the article you posted. That was very interesting. It definitely highlighted the point you were trying to make. Like EscapeCalifornia posted though, that's the "cost of living in paradise". It is sad that people are having to cope with those type of living expenses.

As for myself, one thing I have going for me that the person in the article doesn't is that I do not have any children. That sure makes financial planning harder than what it is if you're not having to support someone.

And to answer your question about the studio apartment, that is definitely not out of the picture. To be honest, if I were to make $40k/year..I wouldn't be too upset with having to give 50% of it toward living expenses. Of course, I'm saying that with opportunities to advance myself at my workplace being a given. I've definitely not walked in the shoes of the poor, but I haven't necessarily been considered among the high class in the areas I've lived in. A middle-class lifestyle has always been what I've been used to and, truth be told, if I were to stay put the opportunities to find a job that pays as well as 40k starting out here would be very slim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles