Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2008, 09:15 AM

9 posts, read 45,978 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am planning to move to L.A. in September-October time. My family has chosen to live in the Los Feliz area as it seems to be a bit more suburban in feel with green lawns, people walking their dogs etc. I am wondering if anyone can give me advice on the good areas and bad areas and different things to do in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 09:51 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
anywhere you go in LA there are going to be lawns and people with dogs, its a given. even the apartment buildings here have lawns. as for a suburban vibe in Los Feliz, I never feel that way when I'm there. south of Los Feliz blvd is actually pretty dense with many, many apartment buildings. there is also the village along Hillhurst with shops, bars, restaurants, and a grocery story. i can't think of anything bad except for the traffic on Los Feliz Blvd around the entrance to the 5 freeway, especially on nights where there is a concert at the Greek Theater. however, there is also a nearby subway station that will get you downtown or to Hollywood/The Valley in a matter of minutes. homes there are also very expensive if you are looking to buy, especially north of Los Feliz Blvd. LF is overall a very desirable neighborhood, and in fact many celebrities live in the hills at the base of Griffith Park.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:08 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
It's kinda suburban. Atwater and Glendale across the 5 are WAY more suburban.

Los Feliz seems like Brentwood or BH, but with a bit of an edge.

Traffic does suck on Los Feliz Blvd.

The area in general feels pretty safe, pretty quiet LOTs of stuff to do. Easy access to the 5 and "suburban" amenities. You can get those things in Hollywood (fast food, Target, Home Depot) but I'd rather just head into Atwater.

Some complain about parking and you will (like in most of LA) see a homeless person or two, or three. (just letting you know, in case you never had to deal with them.)

Old 08-22-2008, 10:13 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,417,835 times
Not much ugly or bad in Los Feliz

Old 08-22-2008, 11:00 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
There are some great homes & beautiful landscaped yards in Los Feliz & driving up into the hills is great. It certainly isn't suburban but close to Glendale if you want shopping centers\Americana is nice. Vermont & Hillhurst are city streets with lots of restaurants. Los Feliz is a very nice section of LA.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:42 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,161 times
Los Feliz is a very nice neighborhood, but I wouldn't call it suburban. It is a very densely populated area and parking is extremely tight. With the sidewalk cafes/restaurants, bookstores, and the subway station, Los Feliz feels more urban than suburban to me. It's definitely "in the city". When I think of suburban LA, I think of places like Burbank, Woodland Hills, Porter Ranch, and the San Gabriel Valley. Not to mention the outer far-flung newer suburbs like Santa Clarita, Thousand Oaks, and Simi Valley.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:50 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
The only bad thing I can say about Los Feliz is that in Los Feliz Blvd traffic sucks. Apparently parking is an issue as well. I would have said being next to East Hollywood but the City has almost cleaned up that area.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:42 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times
The only bad thing is if you live in southern Los Feliz and don't have off street parking. Above Franklin and especially above Los Feliz Boulevard you'll find everything from gorgeous homes to gorgeous mansions. Los Feliz Village is a fun, hip place to hang out and it walking distance unless you live up on the hill. It's got bars, clubs, restaurants, cafes, boutiques and very interesting specialty shops. There's a strip joint and a couple Psychic storefronts. LOTS of celebs live in the area and you'll mostly spot them at Palermo and Different Light Bookstore. It's heart, along Vermont Ave. is also a major bus artery. Griffith Park is 5000 acres with the Observatory which provides one of the best views of L.A., the reason I mention it. Franklin Village is slightly west of Los Feliz on Franklin and is another cool spot to hang out. It's at the entrance to Beachwood Canyon which is another celeb enclave. Eat at the sidewalk cafes or drink at the adjacent bars and you'll see them pass by. The last one I saw there was Ryan Gosling. Some come from the Scientology Celebrity Centre across the street. You're adjacent Hollywood so Hollywood and Vine/Hollywood and Highland and all the clubs and action are close. The Red Line runs through the southern edge of Los Feliz and will get you Downtown in 13 minutes, to Universal Citywalk in 11 minutes and either of the previously mentioned Hollywood intersections in 2 and 4 minutes respectively. I walk to both places regularly when I'm walking my dogs. RE dogs: EVERYWHERE you go in L.A., people have tons of dogs, even in Downtown. You'd be amazed where we stick dog parks including the tops of high rises.

Yes, there are TONS of dogs in Los Feliz. It's "neighborhood" but I don't feel suburban. I think suburbs are vile and would never live in one. I have everything I need within 5 or 10 minutes of here and I'm a restless entertainment/art/music /cafe culture/bookstore junkie. I'm an urban creature and wouldn't live in a sleepy, suburban place. A great thing about Los Feliz is that it's close to plenty of action. I'm never bored.

The only fault of this vid is the video quality is bad. Los Feliz is better looking in person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK1EbiiNqos

Last edited by Sorcerer68; 08-23-2008 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: vid link broken

Old 08-24-2008, 12:03 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
Very cool video, Sorcerer. Thanks for posting that!

Old 08-24-2008, 12:28 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,718,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
Cool video! Nice description of Los Feliz too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles