Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2008, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,725 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating and will have destinations in Whills, Burbank and Glendale. I'm 25 and a scene is still on my desirable list as is the beach life.

Is it under an hour commute in the morning to any of these destinations?

I'd appreciate any real estimates of time or times to be aware of as I don't mind a bit of a commute.

Thank you!

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 08:49 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
There was a thread almost identical to yours which was active about a month ago. Use the search tool to find it. I think the the answer was one hour was the lower limit. It depended on where in SM and what time the commute was occurring.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:50 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
I have to drive from SM to Burbank on occassion and it is nearly an hour each way. Glendale would obviously be longer, and I'd imagine that Woodland Hills would be pretty long as well. Many people commute from the east SFV and SGV to the west SFV and beyond, so although it may seem like a reverse commute from SM, traffic on the 101 is still pretty bad.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,614 times
Default Commute Not Bad

When you tell anyone you're considering commuting from Santa Monica to Burbank, people will throw up their arms, roll their eyes, and vomit green pea soup.

I've read some threads on this board, and many people here do the internet equivalent.

I do the commute every day. I live in SM near the 10, and work in Burbank near the 5. Here are the facts, and they're not so bad.

Morning from SM to Burbank:
If you can leave around 7:30am, the commute is about 35 min. w/ little to no traffic.
If you must leave between 8am-10am, the traffic on the 101 will add 10-20 minutes to your commute. Very rarely will the commute reach 1 hour, and almost never exceeds 1 hour.
BTW in the morning, the 10-405-101 is the only practical route.

Afternoon/Evening from Burbank to SM:
Again, if you can leave after rush hour (7pm), commute is 30-35 minutes.
If you leave between 5-7pm, check sigalert. Going to SM from Burbank you have the option of taking the 101-405-10 or the 5-110-10. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but if you check sigalert you can chose the better route for that day.
If you leave during rush hour, expect about a 45 min. commute. The commute can reach 1 hour if both routes are backed up. After about 7 months of this commute, I've spent over an hour commuting to SM maybe 4 times.

Hope this helps and clears up any misconceptions people might have. I'd hate to see someone pass up a job or where they want to live because they're receiving misinformed info. I consider a commute under 1 hour each way very doable for LA.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:38 PM

14 posts, read 39,249 times
The traffic is going teh other way in the morning. The traffic from the valley is mostly going south, so heading north towards the valley isn't as bad. I would take Sepulveda and get on the Fwy near The Getty Center. Avoid getting onto Sunset Blvd in the morning, it's bumpr to bumper, so take side streets to get to Sepulveda. Give yourself an hour, but many days yu could be there in 45 minutes. It's not too bad. Are you going to work in Warner Center in Woodland Hills.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:42 PM

14 posts, read 39,249 times
Burbank and Glendale aren't too bad of a commite, either. Ince you get past the 101 to the 134 it's pretty light traffic. Take Sepulveda or the 405 t the 101 south, stay all the way in the left hand lane because it turns into the 134 about 7 miles down the way. Take the 134 to Burbank. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles