Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 09:55 PM

2,501 posts, read 1,292,691 times

Advertisements

What about Eaton Canyon? It's only a few minutes from Pasadena.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3z51v8IOOQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2024, 01:17 PM

43 posts, read 14,512 times
No, I am not trolling. So, thank you for the Eaton Canyon Falls post.

Typical LA attitude here, and a good reason why I don't care to come back. I have many options (teacher and corporate sales person/manager with a few advanced degrees and over 20 years of experience, single, and no children), so moving back can happen in less than 24 hours.

I guess it wasn't the lack of nature so much, as it was that many of you are just clueless and lack any positive flow in your life, because you get most of your cues from the media.

So hilarious. The LA scene. Simplistic neophytes.

Old 03-25-2024, 02:39 PM

5,975 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY4Life View Post

Typical LA attitude here, and a good reason why I don't care to come back. I have many options (teacher and corporate sales person/manager with a few advanced degrees and over 20 years of experience, single, and no children), so moving back can happen in less than 24 hours.

I guess it wasn't the lack of nature so much, as it was that many of you are just clueless and lack any positive flow in your life, because you get most of your cues from the media.

Well, we're sorry for being accusing you of being a troll. The answer to your original question is yes. Yes, you missed out on a LOT.

There were a lot of things that didn't add up in your posts that seemed really confusing. Were you unaware of all the trails in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains/Angeles National Forest immediately bordering Pasadena such as the Gabrielino trail which follows the Arroyo Seco near JPL? Or the Sam Merrill trail to Echo Mountain where Lake Ave dead-ends? Did you ever take a drive on the Angeles Crest Highway? I can't comprehend how someone living in Pasadena who is interested in getting out of an urban environment could possibly live three years and not know about any of these that are located not even a 20 minute drive. In Pasadena I could literally walk to the parklands along the Arroyo Seco. And that's just scratching the surface. There are trails in the Angeles National forest, where you wouldn't see a soul (particularly during the week). And honestly I would even say Eaton Canyon falls isn't the best waterfall in the San Gabriel mountains as it gets SO crowded. I'd recommend Switzer, Monrovia, Cooper Canyon, or several other watefalls.

If you were to have said you lived Downtown, Koreatown, or any disadvantaged area close to DT and didn't have a car, or lived in Hollywood and could only get to Runyon with an Uber or bus,

What made you go all the way to Runyon Canyon? When there were many trails. You literally pass by Griffith Park on the way to Runyon, which is over 4,000 acres, a municipal wilderness city park big enough to provide habitat for a resident mountain lion for about a decade.

What I (and presumably most of those who are responding to you) are basing this on is not "neophytes taking cues from the media" but rather countless hours for many years hiking the trails surrounding the LA basin.

And mentioning Niagara Falls or a lake in the Adirondacks which are hours from Syracuse - I just don't get it. New York state is beautiful and has a lot of geographic diversity, but all those areas are inaccessible to the majority to the majority of New York state residents who live in NYC, the majority who don't own a car, (and one has to pay to leave Manhattan/Long Island) on the toll bridges. Also, Niagara Falls, while a majestic natural wonder is highly engineered and modified. They can hold back the water going over the falls at any time, the whole are has been industrialized from the beginning, there are lights behind the falls are tacky, tourist traps all up and down both sides of the falls. I was still able to enjoy it, took the Maid of the mist boat ride, and tried to ignore all those tourist traps. You get the point.

Maybe you weren't trolling, but you have to understand it justifiably came across that way. If someone mentions that they only hiked at Runyon, I have to wonder if they came to LA merely to spot celebrities.

Old 03-25-2024, 03:45 PM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Good luck with life.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:03 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,872,333 times
LOL...There's no L.A Attitude here,but your weird for saying you lived in Pasadena and all you were able to enjoy was Runyon Canyon

That's like me saying I went to NYC and all I was able to enjoy was Times Square

Quote:

Old 03-26-2024, 05:34 AM

3,727 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekdog View Post
Griffith Park
Yup.. I was gonna say the same thing. I used to like hiking the (dusty) trails there. It's a good look at the hills up close, and you get a mental image of how LA probably looked before development and pumped in water.

Old 03-26-2024, 12:48 PM

6,784 posts, read 4,224,158 times
I'm not a nature guy at all, but even I gotta say that compared to most big cities L.A. has access to an abundance of nature. I mean something like Griffith Park is actually kinda insane to have in a major metropolis. I'd say you'd have a much harder time accessing nature in cities like New York or Chicago.

Old 03-26-2024, 02:18 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
No, I am not trolling.

Typical LA attitude here, and a good reason why I don't care to come back.

This is what you wanted to say about LA even before you started this thread. Your mind was already made up. Despite all of the good recommendations and comments here, you just had to go here with this type of comment.

Just like you posted in the Syracuse forums here talking about about LA: https://www.city-data.com/forum/66573538-post7.html where you said "LA, for example, is a city, with the worst collection of humans I have ever seen."

I (and others) just really get the feeling that you have never actually lived in LA. Complaining about lack of nature when you say you lived in Pasadena area and only visited Runyon which is miles away from Pasadena where you pass so many other great nature/hiking areas (Griffith Park is perfect example).

Even with where I live (see bio) I am like 30 minutes or less to some GREAT nature experiences. Runyon is never even on my radar because there are so many other and better places to visit.

Last edited by Kings Gambit; 03-26-2024 at 03:23 PM..

Old 03-27-2024, 11:13 AM

1,122 posts, read 960,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Tell us you've never been to LA without telling us you've never been to LA. Its been DECADES since Los Angeles has had any problem with pollution. DECADES!!! This is thanks to some of the policies implemented by California leaders/politicians/companies. Only place where you may still find some pollution is in the I.E.

If you really did live in LA for 3 years and only been to Runyon, then yes you DID miss out. You missed out on a LOT. Why Runyon? Why not any of the other areas that are so close?
True-true-true. Years ago the pollution was terrible - smog galore. Much much cleaner today. Been here for 70 yrs. :-)

Old 03-27-2024, 11:24 AM

4,596 posts, read 2,988,358 times
OP, did you ever notice those mountains just to the north of LA?
They're called the San Gabriel Mountains, and they have lots of hiking trails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles