Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2021, 03:43 PM

34 posts, read 37,357 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious. I live on the East Coast currently - Connecticut to be specific and so I've been used to a suburban lifestyle most of my life - I've lived on 1/4 acre of land or more for most of it. (not bragging, just reference).

Anyways, I'm curious if I can find a somewhat similar translation in the LA area? Can I find a house under $1 million, with some land ( I know I'll have to sacrifice the land portion, seeing as it's LA) but is it possible to find a house under $1 million, with some land, privacy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 06:40 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,789,045 times
No. Maybe in one of the ghettos but the plots are pretty small usually i'll go back to no.

Old 07-27-2021, 07:03 PM

3,247 posts, read 6,306,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashkim View Post
Anyways, I'm curious if I can find a somewhat similar translation in the LA area? Can I find a house under $1 million, with some land ( I know I'll have to sacrifice the land portion, seeing as it's LA) but is it possible to find a house under $1 million, with some land, privacy?
Maybe in the Inland Empire in the area north of the 210 freeway.

Here is an example home with a .46 acre lot. Its 43 miles to downtown LA. Its also very hot in the summer.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...17590748_zpid/

Old 07-27-2021, 07:51 PM

8,345 posts, read 6,441,137 times
Some big ranch houses in the valley have pretty big lots.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:03 AM

1,866 posts, read 935,237 times
Quote:
I'm just curious. I live on the East Coast currently - Connecticut to be specific and so I've been used to a suburban lifestyle most of my life - I've lived on 1/4 acre of land or more for most of it. (not bragging, just reference).

Maybe about an hour outside the city. How close to the city do you need to be?

Old 07-28-2021, 08:22 AM

316 posts, read 131,151 times
1/4 isn't that huge, I don't know how much privacy you can really expect from that, you'll be sharing property lines (and fences and walls with other homes). They exist but don't expect the nicest or newest house, or the safest areas.

https://www.redfin.com/county/321/CA...254,no-outline

Are you thinking something like this?
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Temple-Cit...0/home/8010572

Old 07-28-2021, 02:08 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,810,958 times
Where I am in North Redondo feels suburban. There are parts of the South Bay that could qualify.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:39 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,305,155 times
Quote:
No, not a chance.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:27 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,970,243 times
Quote:

With some "land" as in huge empty plot that you can probably raise some livestock on, maybe in the Antelope Valley, and unincorporated northern part of LA County.

Or go to Kern County. Its not that far from LA.

Old 07-29-2021, 06:44 PM

13,662 posts, read 9,730,976 times
No, it is definitely possible... it's just going to have to be a "fixer". For example, this... in one of the nicest parts of Pasadena: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...20769610_zpid/ .

In recent months there has been a smattering of older, ~1000 sq ft houses on 10,000 - 15,000 sq ft lots, in probate-sale or similar type of situation... owner-occupant died, house is empty, no heirs, house goes on the market via a trust or county-sale.

The trouble is that flippers or investors will bid up the price. Recently I found a spectacular candidate in the Mt. Washington area... view of downtown, large lot, good privacy. It was a bit of a fixer... needed new HVAC, new roof, plenty of remediation to the interior. Price was reasonable... but the winning bid came $200K over the asking price!

Oh, and these generally need to be all-cash offers. Be aware of that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles