Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2021, 10:23 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,052,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazenjames View Post
I'd choose Yucaipa, Calimesa or Beaumont over Palmdale.
I don't know why? Palmdale -- especially Rancho Vista -- is a lot more developed and manicured than any of those three? Plus, it's a manageable commute to Beverly Hills. Not easy, but manageable.

Commuting from Beaumont/Yucapia to Beverly Hills? It seems like a straight shot west on I-10, but it actually bottlenecks heavily through the San Bernardino Valley, the Pamona Valley, the San Gabriel Valley, DTLA, and Hollywood before you even get to LaCienega and other Beverly Hills exits.

It's easier just to take the 14 south from Palmdale, to the 5 (for 5 minutes), then the 405 all of the way down to Santa Monica Blvd.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 08:58 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,157,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazenjames View Post
A commute of 61 miles per direction is absurd. If you can't afford to live closer, change jobs or leave the area.
It's not an atypical commute for the area. Probably half of the Antelope Valley works down in L.A. and 60 miles each way is pretty normal. Doable if annoying when you're going with traffic. Going against traffic, it's pretty good as L.A. area commutes go.

Moorpark/Fillmore area would be a little closer to BH, tho not sure you'd gain anything time-wise, and I have no idea how they compare as neighborhoods, home prices, schools, etc.

Old 02-22-2021, 11:21 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,762,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
It's not an atypical commute for the area. Probably half of the Antelope Valley works down in L.A. and 60 miles each way is pretty normal. Doable if annoying when you're going with traffic. Going against traffic, it's pretty good as L.A. area commutes go.

Moorpark/Fillmore area would be a little closer to BH, tho not sure you'd gain anything time-wise, and I have no idea how they compare as neighborhoods, home prices, schools, etc.
I lived in both. Fillmore for five years, Moorpark a little less. They are in different valleys. The commute from Fillmore to JPL took me an hour, unless there was a tractor on the road. That was back when 126 was one lane each way. Today? I wouldn't make that commute. 126 is fine, but once you hit the 5, it's a bear from then on. Valencia has grown too much. I liked my time in Fillmore. Mostly Hispanic, but long-time families. There was a real sense of community there. Schools are so-so. We actually sent my daughter to school in Piru, then transferred to a private school in Ventura.

Moorpark is a lot more upscale. Much better schools. Back then, the commute was less than from Fillmore. Don't know about now. Housing will be more expensive in Moorpark than in Fillmore. I also lived on the east end of Simi Valley. That was a pretty easy commute across the valley to JPL. Moorpark and Simi are very similar demographically. More shopping in Simi. A commute to BH from Simi will be a lot easier than from Moorpark. From Fillmore? It will be awful.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-23-2021, 12:30 AM

68 posts, read 62,501 times
Why Palmdale? it's consistently rated as not only one of the worst places in California if not America. People there live to commute, and commuting in LA is a nightmare. It does have some gang crime as many people from the ghettos of Los Angeles bought adjustable rated mortgages out there in the early 2000s. When the people lost on their homes a lot of them were bought and turned into section 8. Now I will say that gang crime in California has declined tremendously since when I grew up, and Palmdale's gangs are probably not as strong as it once was. racism is not something I have heard of but nearby Lancaster did have some racist issues related to the NLR ( Nazi Low Riders). Again a lot of these people have been priced out of California altogether along with the culture of California changing in general.

I have a friend who couldn't wait to leave Palmdale, he grew up there and never described racism as being a problem but just general crime and ratchetness. one of his siblings is half black/ half Mexican and he never had problems at all. It's also just non stop commuting and his dad would have to stay in los Angeles sometimes as he did not feel like commuting back. pretty much Palmdale was a place to stay and have an excuse to stay in California besides leaving. After other metros around the country started to develop why would someone buy all the way out there just to stay in CA?

If I were to move somewhere in southern California and I was your demographic, I would try Rancho Cucamonga or northern Ontario right next to Rancho Cucamonga. Rancho Cucamonga has a decent black population somewhere around the national average and most of them are middle class. The commute would probably be better or around the same but without all the crap of dealing with Palmdale.

Old 02-23-2021, 11:02 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,955,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealD View Post
If I were to move somewhere in southern California and I was your demographic, I would try Rancho Cucamonga or northern Ontario right next to Rancho Cucamonga. Rancho Cucamonga has a decent black population somewhere around the national average and most of them are middle class. The commute would probably be better or around the same but without all the crap of dealing with Palmdale.
Have you look into the housing prices in Rancho Cucamonga? It's at least 150% higher if not double than Palmdale.

Commuting from RC to BH will be WORSE than from Palmdale.

Old 02-23-2021, 04:19 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,052,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealD View Post
Why Palmdale? it's consistently rated as not only one of the worst places in California if not America. People there live to commute, and commuting in LA is a nightmare. It does have some gang crime as many people from the ghettos of Los Angeles bought adjustable rated mortgages out there in the early 2000s. When the people lost on their homes a lot of them were bought and turned into section 8. Now I will say that gang crime in California has declined tremendously since when I grew up, and Palmdale's gangs are probably not as strong as it once was. racism is not something I have heard of but nearby Lancaster did have some racist issues related to the NLR ( Nazi Low Riders). Again a lot of these people have been priced out of California altogether along with the culture of California changing in general.

1.) Your information is 20+ years old.

2.) It's completely anecdotal to one specific person. It seems like there's always a poster like you who "knows someone" who said this or that, and therefor, must be taken as gospel.

3.) I would say that the aerospace industry is very robust right now, which has led to a lot of families relocating to the area, as well as in increase in home values. The demographics are quite a bit different now than they were even 10 years ago.

4.) Additionally, there has been a lot of federal investment on Edwards AFB, with a lot of projects going on out there, which has also positively impacted the area.

5.) There haven't been Nazis in Lancaster for almost 30 years now.

6.) Palmdale is majority Hispanic and Lancaster is a plurality of Hispanic. Lancaster will likely be majority Hispanic is the next 10 years or so.

7.) Palmdale's crime rate is actually lower than both the California average and the U.S. average:

Quote:
Palmdale named among safest cities in California by SafeHome.org

PALMDALE – The city of Palmdale was ranked the 22nd safest city (population 100,000 and up) and 80th safest of all in California, according to a recent study by SafeHome.org.Of the 231 scored cities in California, Palmdale’s violent crime number of 3.7 per 1,000 residents was lower than the state of California’s rate of 4.5 incidents per 1,000 people for the second year in a row. Palmdale’s property crime rate was 15.4 incidents per 1,000, lower than the state’s rate of 23.8 incidents per 1,000.

https://theavtimes.com/2020/03/25/pa...-safehome-org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles