Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to America: insurance, want to buy a car, cost of living, rent a room, housing.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:16 PM

22 posts, read 119,545 times

Advertisements

hi all,

im moving to the USA (i am a citizen)in the next few months but i am stuck between NYC or LA.their are pros and cons to both.

ive always wanted to live in LA because of the weather and the beach but i think it will be expensive to move their because i would have to buy a car and insurence which would cost a few thousand.

but moving to NYC i know it is a expensive city to live but i wont have to but a car so that would save me alot of money too start.

as far as a place to live i would just rent a room in a house which is the same price in both citys around 500-700per month.

whats i would like to know is.
where would you go if it was your decision?
why would you go to that city?
your own pros and cons to each city?
and any other information you would like to add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 04:16 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,142,569 times
Just decide whether you want to live in an urban city (NYC) or a suburban city (LA). I would live elsewhere other than needing employment.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:53 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,805,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmover0000 View Post
ive always wanted to live in LA because of the weather and the beach

where would you go if it was your decision?
why would you go to that city?
your own pros and cons to each city?
and any other information you would like to add
Have you ever been to Los Angeles?
Where did you learn about LA? What source? From whom?

What line of work are you in?
Is $500-$700 your realistic housing budget?

Old 05-04-2008, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,905 times
Default best nieghborhood in Long island NY

I am a student going to school in midtown manhattan. I want to live in a neighborhood that is reasonably priced and does not entail long waits on the subway (I am slightly claustrophobic) into manhattan. I need to be able to park a car too. Maybe Staten Island is a good idea? Help?
Thanks in advance
John

Old 05-04-2008, 06:03 PM

7 posts, read 35,554 times
Cool Los Angeles Versus New York City

Being from San Francisco, California, I had the opportunity in checking out the city of Los Angeles, through my grandparents, Hollywood, Burbank, The Fox Movie Studio's, it's beaches of Santa Monica, Newport Beach, Muscle Beach, Zuma Beach etc. etc. Way back in the 1960's/70's, the beaches were the place where you would of wanted to be at. I use to fly down to my grandmothers and drive their car down to those areas and I have to say that I really enjoyed myself. People were very friendly and I remember that there were hundredths of people on those beaches and boy, was it hot during the summer. I had decided to check it out when I visited my grandparents. I am sure glad that I did. I loved Santa Barbara and the beaches there. I loved the people especially. What I noticed about San Francisco Bay Area versus Southern California when I was young that the people in Southern California loved school and studied very hard whereas the kids in the San Francisco Bay Area had dropped out a lot. I remembered hearing about all the young people that were dropping out of school but when I was in southern California, Los Angeles, most loved school. That always stuck in my mind and I had spent a lot of time always visiting Southern California whenever I had a chance to. A few years ago, I had the opportunity for my very first time to go to New York City. I was in a limo from my daughter and her husband and his mom and we had the opportunity to stay in New York City for my very first time. It was very beautiful of what I saw. But when the limousine got off the freeway and took one of the roads down into the city in some area, the car stopped and the first sign I saw I had to take a picture of it because it said that if anyone honks their horn in the area that we were in that they would be charged a fine of $350. That blew me away! But to me, I love New York. I am one of the very few people that can actually say that because when I ask other people if they have ever been there most are very negative about New York. New York in a way is like San Francisco. Both places are expensive to live but the one good thing about it is that they have their own transportation. San Francisco has tons of buses and lightrail where the street cars go all over the place. Plus they have a train that runs from San Francisco down to Gilroy called Cal Train. And an underground train called Bart. Bart runs all around the San Francisco Bay Area and up to the mountains of Stockton, California. New York has subway stations and I enjoyed that too. I mean they are everywhere too. I even liked Central Park and the horses and buggies that bring the tourists around the park. Also the open tour buses are great as well except when it rains. You have to have their famous hot dogs because they put sauerkraut in them as well as other options. I went to Canal Street where all the knockoffs are. I heard so much about them that I wanted to go there and see them for myself. But if you are a young person you won't regret it if you take a plane flight to Los Angeles area where you can check everything out for yourself first. You will see all the surfers on their colorful boards and the swimmers alike. Sometimes the beach people pipe in the music or they may of changed that by now. But you can see how they make movies and can visit Universal Studios like I did when I was in my 20's. I loved the area especially the beach areas and when you think you got enough of that kind of life then you can head to New York City and check that area out for yourself like I did. It's never too late!

Old 05-04-2008, 06:47 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,642,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimmonsd View Post
I am a student going to school in midtown manhattan. I want to live in a neighborhood that is reasonably priced and does not entail long waits on the subway (I am slightly claustrophobic) into manhattan. I need to be able to park a car too. Maybe Staten Island is a good idea? Help?
Thanks in advance
John
try the NYC forum. this one is for LA.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,082 times
I am from ireland. There is barley any jobs here to get a good living off and i want to move to America. I am a student who wants to get more oppurtunity and experience over there. I want to know the living expenses for living in the LA area. I also want to know the salary i would need to be earning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles