Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 02:39 PM

30 posts, read 33,851 times

Advertisements

Let’s say you could work from home most of the time so commuting is not a major issue, which you you choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 03:02 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,046,231 times
depends on your needs.

Are you going to want a backyard in the future?

sherman has easy access to the city and beach.
But monrovia has access to lots of cheap facilities/resources, plenty of eats around san gabriel valley, cost of living is probably a little lower. It's very convenient.

overall, monrovia seems to be managed pretty well.

since both cities have seen the same rate of appreciation in real estate values, I'd lean toward monrovia.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:59 AM

585 posts, read 634,300 times
I'm not sure I would claim Sherman Oaks has "easy" access to the beach. It's at least a 45 minute drive, not to mention traffic and parking issues. But Sherman Oaks does have some pretty nice neighborhoods, for a SFV city.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:32 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,543,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
I'm not sure I would claim Sherman Oaks has "easy" access to the beach. It's at least a 45 minute drive, not to mention traffic and parking issues. But Sherman Oaks does have some pretty nice neighborhoods, for a SFV city.
Sherman Oaks is a hell of a lot closer to Santa Monica, Palisades and Malibu, though.

That being said, Sherman Oaks and the Ventura Blvd corridor in the south valley are a much more "urban" feeling environment, while Monrovia feels more like classic suburbia.

Sherman Oaks is actually a neighborhood within the City of Los Angeles, while Monrovia is its own municipal entity.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:41 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,298,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChillDude View Post
Let’s say you could work from home most of the time so commuting is not a major issue, which you you choose?
Do I have kids? Am I 25 or 45? What do I like doing in my free time? What kind of restaurants do I like?

Old 05-01-2020, 03:16 PM

908 posts, read 1,302,866 times
If you have kids and want a house with space and yard, then Monrovia may be the way to go.

If you're single or perhaps married with no kids, and would like to be closer to more amenities and areas such as the west side and downtown LA, then I'd go for Sherman Oaks.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:09 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,412,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChillDude View Post
If you had to choose would you rather buy a townhouse in Sherman Oaks or a SFH in Monrovia?

There are many factors to consider. Is the Monrovia home nestled up near the mountains close to hiking trails?

Is the Sherman Oaks townhome close to Ventura Blvd or is it part of what used to be Van Nuys (north of Burbank blvd) up until a few years ago?

Are we talking same price or same square footage? Budget here is super important.

I'd probably go for the Sherman Oaks location. But, again, would need answers to many more questions to be 100% certain.

Old 05-02-2020, 02:30 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,543,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
There are many factors to consider. Is the Monrovia home nestled up near the mountains close to hiking trails?

Is the Sherman Oaks townhome close to Ventura Blvd or is it part of what used to be Van Nuys (north of Burbank blvd) up until a few years ago?

Are we talking same price or same square footage? Budget here is super important.

I'd probably go for the Sherman Oaks location. But, again, would need answers to many more questions to be 100% certain.
When did the neighborhood boundaries of Van Nuys change on that side of the 405 in the last few years?

Old 05-02-2020, 01:08 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
I would NEVER buy a townhouse . To me that would be hell.

Old 05-03-2020, 01:22 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,926,636 times
I think you need to decide first if you are a "house" person or a "townhouse" person. As you can see from Eureka's post above, some are very adamant on the issue. Personally, I've lived in a 2,000 sf townhouse for the past 30 years and absolutely love it. I'm not a "yard" person. I would hate gardening and have no children running around, so a yard would be a waste for me. I have beautiful greenery all around me, but I don't have to touch it. Also a pool, spa & tennis court that I can use, but don't have to manage. I like being able to lock the door and take off with no worries about maintenance. I think it's just a matter of what you prefer rather than location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles