Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 12:58 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,147,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
It's more likely that you'll be able to use the subway along Sepulveda that drives for you. How long will it take to build, though, 10-20 years?
Your autonomous Audi will be stuck in traffic forever on the 405, unless it's made a toll highway, $1 per mile.

I disagree with you. Tesla cruse control can keep lane where there are lanes marked, lane change automatically, take off ramp, take freeway interchange ramp etc. I expect that by end of the year it will be able to recognize stop sign, stop light etc. In the next 5-10 years i fully expect it to be at level 4 autonomous driving . You are underestimating how quickly technology is improving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 03:40 PM

2,530 posts, read 1,309,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
You are underestimating how quickly technology is improving.
I heard Teslas have been killing drivers who slept or read books in their cars while the cars were driving for them.

You could sleep and read books on subway trains 100 years ago and nothing happened.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
I heard Teslas have been killing drivers who slept or read books in their cars while the cars were driving for them.

You could sleep and read books on subway trains 100 years ago and nothing happened.

Did train able to change direction 100 years ago? I am not seeing OP or anyone else being able to take subway through 405 anytime soon regardless of what city says . Between lawsuits, environmental reviews etc i am thinking there will not be operation subway for the next 15-20 years.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:02 PM

2,530 posts, read 1,309,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Did train able to change direction 100 years ago? I am not seeing OP or anyone else being able to take subway through 405 anytime soon regardless of what city says . Between lawsuits, environmental reviews etc i am thinking there will not be operation subway for the next 15-20 years.
Well, there will be 1 million more cars driving through Sepulveda Pass in 5 years.
We will see how auto-driving cars will handle it. Fortunately, they can change directions on the 405.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:05 PM

1,210 posts, read 890,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruxmont View Post
Work would most likely be in Century City.

I have 4 kids, 3 of whom are school age.
After reading all these posts, my advice to you is DON'T get a job in Century City. If necessary, take a pay cut and work near a civilized neighborhood with smart kids in the schools - even if it means NOT living in SoCal. Your kids and your mental health are more important than your job.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:15 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,419,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
After reading all these posts, my advice to you is DON'T get a job in Century City. If necessary, take a pay cut and work near a civilized neighborhood with smart kids in the schools - even if it means NOT living in SoCal. Your kids and your mental health are more important than your job.
True, but many think living in CA is worth all the pressure and potential damage to their family. If a person makes enough to live decently, that is another situation, but living minimally and commting in terrible traffic is not really worth it for a family.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:44 PM

5 posts, read 3,584 times
Hi all! I wanted to chime in on the Thousand Oaks subject. I’ve lived in Ventura county for almost all of my life and I would definitely stress that if schools are a big priority (private schools not an option) then you should really look at Thousand Oaks/Newbury Park area. For $4,000-$4,600 you can get a VERY large and new home with 4 or 5 bedrooms and possibly a gated area. You mentioned that having Indians around would be desired and Amgen hires a LOT of Indians and I’m sure their children are in local schools. There are also tons of different types of restaurants in Ventura County. We have plenty of Indian, Asian, Mexican, Italian, etc. almost everything you could want. Of course LA County has WAY more options but to me it seems like the suburbs just make more sense with 3 school age kids. Now, the commute. This will be the BIGGEST draw back. I usually leave around 8am from the TO area and am at work by 9:30am. I work close to downtown LA. Century city is closer so you would probably be looking at 1:20 morning and similar at night. Of course, if there is an accident or weather, you might look at 1:45 both ways. Honestly, to have a giant house in a SAFE area with high performing schools, I would choose that for my family. Additional tip. If you can get a car with the sticker that lets you use the caroool lane, that might save you about 10 mins each way.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:34 PM

16 posts, read 17,817 times
Still considering the move out there, and now looking at Encino and Calabasas as well. Any comments on either of those places?

Old 08-21-2019, 04:39 PM

16 posts, read 17,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCGirl View Post
Hi all! I wanted to chime in on the Thousand Oaks subject. I’ve lived in Ventura county for almost all of my life and I would definitely stress that if schools are a big priority (private schools not an option) then you should really look at Thousand Oaks/Newbury Park area. For $4,000-$4,600 you can get a VERY large and new home with 4 or 5 bedrooms and possibly a gated area. You mentioned that having Indians around would be desired and Amgen hires a LOT of Indians and I’m sure their children are in local schools. There are also tons of different types of restaurants in Ventura County. We have plenty of Indian, Asian, Mexican, Italian, etc. almost everything you could want. Of course LA County has WAY more options but to me it seems like the suburbs just make more sense with 3 school age kids. Now, the commute. This will be the BIGGEST draw back. I usually leave around 8am from the TO area and am at work by 9:30am. I work close to downtown LA. Century city is closer so you would probably be looking at 1:20 morning and similar at night. Of course, if there is an accident or weather, you might look at 1:45 both ways. Honestly, to have a giant house in a SAFE area with high performing schools, I would choose that for my family. Additional tip. If you can get a car with the sticker that lets you use the caroool lane, that might save you about 10 mins each way.
Thousand Oaks seems like a nice area, but a bit far. How do you get a sticker that lets you use the HOV lane?

How is Sherman Oaks compared to Thousand Oaks?

Old 08-21-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruxmont View Post
Still considering the move out there, and now looking at Encino and Calabasas as well. Any comments on either of those places?

If you are going to go all the way to calabasas then you need to look at Agoura Hills as well. Encino have different part of the city, some are more poor compare to others. Depends where you are in it. Encino is basically on both side of the 101 freeway and is right next to Van Nuys what i would call not the nicest area. Calabasas is nice area but you are basically at the end of the Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles