Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 08:36 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,822,492 times

Advertisements

OP - your head is probably spinning with all the suggestions so, just for fun I thought I would throw another area into the mix.
You mentioned a view would be nice so if you get the chance check out Ranchos Palos Verde. You can judge for yourself if it has the walkable aspect you're looking for and make a test drive into downtown LA.
Also, have you checked out Mar Vista and Brentwood? It's great you have a healthy housing budget but the many options as a result can be overwhelming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 11:25 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,955,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
I don't consider Santa Monica as "family friendly." It's a massive tourist draw, has a significant homeless problem, crime is up https://www.smdp.com/serious-crime-i...percent/172447 and parking is terrible (if OP wants to commute). Of course, by the beach it's not as hot as other LA areas. And I think the commute time to DTLA is way worse than the other areas I suggested.
I’ve lived her as a single female for going on 7 years. I’ve had more issues with outsiders than I ever had with the homeless. I frequent the beach 3-4 times a week and I walk all over the area near the pier, 3ed street , up and down Wiltshire blvd, Montana, and Ocean ave. I‘ve never felt unsafe walking in those areas... nor had an issue...even at night.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:35 AM

351 posts, read 342,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
OP - your head is probably spinning with all the suggestions so, just for fun I thought I would throw another area into the mix.
You mentioned a view would be nice so if you get the chance check out Ranchos Palos Verde. You can judge for yourself if it has the walkable aspect you're looking for and make a test drive into downtown LA.
Also, have you checked out Mar Vista and Brentwood? It's great you have a healthy housing budget but the many options as a result can be overwhelming.
Not sure if you're being serious...Palos Verdes is one of the least walkable places in LA, and you'd be out of your mind to suggest commuting daily from PV to downtown.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:17 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,053,616 times
South Pasadena is beautiful, walkable, family-friendly, and easy to get downtown. Good schools, good community, great library, Gold Line station, beautiful Craftsman houses, everything is nice about South Pas.

Larchmont Village might be a good option.

Same for Miracle Mile, specifically the neighbourhoods near LACMA.

Silverlake is walkable and I love it. Schools are hit and miss imo. The community is vibrant!

Santa Monica is wonderful, walkable, and if you take the train to work, that's a decent option. We live in Santa Monica specifically because it's walkable. Westside traffic is not a small consideration. I would approach with caution!

Old 04-18-2019, 11:41 PM

363 posts, read 514,127 times
Pico-Robertson, hands down.

It's smack between the beach and downtown (and of course rushhour goes East in the evening). Kids, babies, grandparents, dog walkers, families everywhere- Kids in the neighborhood put out little lemonade stands in the summer. It doesn't feel urban, even though Olympic, La Cienega, Pico are right there. It's insanely quiet at night- you wouldn't even know you were in a densely populated city. Walk-ability is insane- this is prob one of the few places one could get by without a car. Lovely neighbors that look out for one another. I've lived here almost 12 years now and love it (previously I'd lived in WeHo and Santa Monica).

Downside:
The rents have risen an insane level since the subway station is being built at La Cienega and Olympic.
Related to this is a lot of construction happening all over the neighborhood- huge apartment and condo buildings. It's rubbing some of the long term residents the wrong way- the noise, the parking, the trucks, the rents increasing etc. But of course these construction problems are temporary until the developments are finished. The worst about it is that rents have doubled, and is pushing out some long-time residents who have nowhere to go.

However, the new construction might be a good opportunity for you to put in for a brand new apartment/condo.

IDK about the schools b/c I have no kids, but I think the ones around here are pretty good.

Cheers! *edit, just read the replies. FYI I speak as the better half of a Bostonian/Brit couple

Last edited by 5pyg1a55; 04-18-2019 at 11:51 PM..

Old 04-20-2019, 01:48 AM

603 posts, read 442,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbaner View Post
Buying is a strong preference. We're quite flexible on pricing.

Thanks! Very helpful

I'm afraid I must agree with Sydney123. We just spent the day in Santa Monica, and it was quite a pleasant, walk-friendly experience. I should also add we've kept a home in Palm Beach, FL for many years, and despite being significantly hotter than LA, we never found the temperature to be "dangerous."

Thank you, Cloudwalker! That is exceptionally helpful. We recently did the SM -> downtown drive at 2pm. It took roughly an hour. How often would we be hitting that kind of traffic, based on your experience? Also, any elaboration on your thoughts re: Culver City, etc. would be terrific! Thanks much

CA4Now, thanks for that... Did you catch my original question: Can anyone recommend a walkable family neighborhood within a reasonable commuting distance to downtown?

To elaborate, family-friendly is pretty significant. Yes, as a New Yorker/Brit couple, we have a fair understanding of the terminology.

Regarding our exact thought process, some (overgeneralized) examples from our lives would be:

(Greater) LONDON
+walkable & family-friendly: Hampstead

-walkable / not family-friendly: Leicester Square

(Greater) NEW YORK:
+walkable & family-friendly: Manhasset

-walkable / not family-friendly: Times Square

(Greater) DC:
+walkable & family-friendly: Georgetown

-walkable / not family-friendly: Dupont Circle

If you like Hampstead and Georgetown I just don’t think you’re going to like LA much

It’s significantly less walkable then either.

The BH Flats which is actually pretty walkable depending on where you are might be an option.

There are pockets of walkability but rarely do they combine with family friendly.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:10 AM

276 posts, read 221,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbaner View Post
Can anyone recommend a walkable family neighborhood within a reasonable commuting distance to downtown? Santa Monica and Silver Lake are on the list. We're quite flexible on pricing. A nice view is a huge plus. Many thanks.
Walkable
Family-friendly
close to downtown
any price
great view. Many areas would match some of these, but can't think of any that match all of them. A lot of "judgmental factors" here as well - how close is "reasonable commuting distance"? What is "walkable" to you? Keep in mind, LA is a spread out suburb without a city! You cannot compare it to NYC, SF or the others of similar size, but compact and dense.

Just guessing that the most important features are lots of stuff within walking distance, safety and scenery, I would suggest (in no particular order):
Ocean Ave in SM
Westwood Village
flats of BH

All at the tops of the price range, but if that's ok with you, that's your spot!

Old 04-23-2019, 01:50 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,140,362 times
I guess no one have told you this yet, no one walks in LA. Seriously have you seen how big the city is?

Old 04-28-2019, 07:18 PM

101 posts, read 304,626 times
Studio City is quite walkable. Good schools, flat neighborhoods walkable to shops on Ventura Blvd. It's about 30 minutes to downtown by car. The Colfax Meadows neighborhood is so charming.

DO NOT think about any area in Palos Verdes. It's too far from downtown and not walkable at all.

La Canada Flintridge or South Pasadena have good schools but I don't recommend because homes are so old and require renovation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles