Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2018, 09:08 PM

872 posts, read 606,326 times

Advertisements

Ahhhh the halcyon days of homelessness in LA when the homeless could stab some innocent person to death, readily confess, and get the bed and care they really want in a secured, supervised facility--- and we want them to have that cuz we are already paying beyond top dollar. Oh well eh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 09:38 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,234,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
How about the homeless? Should they “carry something” as well for defense? TCROX syas he’s seen their “knives and cudgels” ... and that is exactly why he says housed persons should arm themselves. But now you support the homeless carrying weapons ... hmmm?

I also “carry” something for my protection: my common sense. I realize not many people have any and can’t handle it anyway. Shame.

I don't think the homeless care about my opinion on how they live their lives. Since most eschew any form of law and government I'm sure the majority carry weapons of self defense and offense. I know I would if I was homeless. So we the civilized ones are supposed to use our wits and common sense. That won't stop me from bleeding. Ask Pauley Parrette. And a girl that went to my hs that was stabbed 16 times by a homeless intruder last week.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:21 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,236,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I don't think the homeless care about my opinion on how they live their lives. Since most eschew any form of law and government I'm sure the majority carry weapons of self defense and offense. I know I would if I was homeless. So we the civilized ones are supposed to use our wits and common sense. That won't stop me from bleeding. Ask Pauley Parrette. And a girl that went to my hs that was stabbed 16 times by a homeless intruder last week.
Whoa a homeless intruder at your old HS, stabbing? WTH.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:32 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,622,516 times
A survey showed only 21 percent of Santa Monica residents satisfied with the city’s handling of the homelessness crisis

——
Only 21 percent of respondents were satisfied with the City’s response to the homelessness crisis while only 27 percent were satisfied with the homeless services provided by the City.

55 percent of residents felt that the overall level of crime in Santa Monica increased over the past year. In addition, the survey found there is greater dissatisfaction with how the City is dealing with the homelessness crisis among residents who say crime has increased in recent years. While respondents felt safe in most areas of Santa Monica, residents perceived public parks (21 percent unsafe) and the Santa Monica Pier (15 percent unsafe) as the most dangerous places.

https://smmirror.com/2018/11/city-pu...urvey-results/

Old 11-26-2018, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Whoa a homeless intruder at your old HS, stabbing? WTH.
Yea she lives in Fullerton. You can google it. The press doesn't give details in the articles (of course) but I'm FB friends with her and got it there. Luckily the knife was dull and she's ok.

Last edited by Finper; 11-26-2018 at 12:58 AM..

Old 11-26-2018, 06:44 AM

42,842 posts, read 26,653,341 times
Quote:
Last week? I think you conflated two events. She was attacked in 2015 and her attacker was found incompetent to stand trial and was confined to a mental hospital until February of this year. In October he stabbed a police officer who Parrette seems to know. What's of interest here is her comments after she was attacked:

Quote:
After the attack, Perrette called for more help for the mentally ill and homeless. “My life changed tonight. My … I don’t know,” she wrote. “We need full mental health care. We need housing and help for the homeless. We need to support our cops. We need to not walk alone. I need to heal.” https://www.mercurynews.com/2015/11/...outside-house/
What seems to be missing from this conversation is that the severely mentally ill have been with us for as long as recorded history, whether or not they are homeless seems to make little difference when they resort to violence. My great aunt was mentally ill, this was a very long time ago long before I was born, but one day after her husband went to work she ran water in the tub and methodically drowned her four children aged 1 month to four years. One at a time she put each in the tub and held them down until they died, took them out of the tub and fetched the next and repeated that until all four were dead.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:18 AM

26,958 posts, read 27,222,932 times
Razo, who attended nearby Haddon Avenue Elementary and other local schools as a kid, said his father was not around much. His mother, as he described it, managed the trick of carrying herself as if she was persevering rather than struggling. For a time, Razo had no idea they were poor.

Not until they moved into a garage.

“My mother did anything she could,” Razo said. “She did massage. She would make and sell donuts, tamales, corn. My coming to Jesus moment was when we lived in that garage and I had to go to the bathroom. We didn’t have one in the garage, so we had to go to the owner’s house and knock on the door.”

There is no reliable formula for going from living in a garage to running the elementary school down the street. In Razo’s case, it probably didn’t hurt that he was a devout Catholic and served in the U.S. Marine Corps. Faith and discipline still go to work with him every day, along with his boot camp buzz cut.

For the principal with the most homeless students in L.A., the reality of poverty is personal:
https://www.latimes.com/local/califo...htmlstory.html

Old 11-26-2018, 08:33 AM

21,903 posts, read 16,637,289 times
Quote:
I don't appreciate the patronizing speech.
“I don’t appreciate patronizing speech” is perhaps the funniest thing you’ve ever posted on CD. Few, if any, other posters can rival you for patronizing speech in postings. Lol (and then some).

Quote:
I did not "discriminate" in my posting. Rather, and I too am an atheist and I revealed my loathing for Islam. I did not slander believers: Not Hindus, Not Jains, Not Buddhists, Not moderate Christians, etc.
You DO slander “Moslems” (your perjorative) though, every opportunity you can create.
Quote:

I did not say I don't like black people. That's absurd. I don't like criminals.
Lol. You “say” it in what you choose to feature about them in many many posts. Just the other day I made a wisecrack about Mississippi / California .... without identifying any races or social classes or individuals ... just a generalized comment on the range of cultural ambiances. Out of nowhere, you chimed in to compare blacks negatively to whites intellectually in Washington, D.C. ... One of many examples I could call up.
Quote:
Can we please discuss the homeless on the homeless thread?
Sure! Though I would point out that I chided you just yesterday for twice going completely off topic, as well. So, guess what’s good for the goose is not good for the gander, eh?

Quote:
I see you used "urban Dictionary" as a source. Really?
Well this is also hilarious. Your “DINDU” is an urban slang perjorative. What better source for a definition than an “Urban Dictionary”? Lmfao. But, hey, look it up yourself in other sources. Numerous say the same.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:59 AM

21,903 posts, read 16,637,289 times
Quote:
I don't think the homeless care about my opinion on how they live their lives. Since most eschew any form of law and government I'm sure the majority carry weapons of self defense and offense. I know I would if I was homeless.

So we the civilized ones are supposed to use our wits and common sense.

That won't stop me from bleeding. Ask Pauley Parrette. And a girl that went to my hs that was stabbed 16 times by a homeless intruder last week.
So, you agree the homeless should arm themselves.

You seem to question the value of “wits and common sense”.

“Wits and common sense” certainly do stop people from getting into situations that might result in bloodletting, you know.

2Sleepy has covered what I was going to contribute about Pauly Perrette’s reaction to her being assaulted by a mentally ill person. But I will point out as well that you and others here conflate homelessness strangely with violence on the part of mentally ill persons.

Here’s a tiny fractional list of names of people who had two things in common:

John Wayne Gacy, Ted Bundy, Adolf Hitler, Idi Amin, David Berkowicz, Ed Gein, Jeffrey Dahmer, Richard Chase, Aileen Wuornos, Pol Pot, Albert Fish,David Gonzalez, Joseph Stalin, Kenneth Bianchi, Dr. Harold Shipman, Belle Gunnes, H.H. Holmes, Andrei Chikatilo, Joachim Kroll, Gilles de Rais, Richard Ramirez, ...

Can you guess? Some famous Californians in there. Some famous historical figures going back as much as 600 years.

Well, they are, of course, some of history’s most famous deranged killers.

They were also all housed and employed persons. Not homeless. And that list could go on all day and night and the next for a year of reading and never dent the number of names of housed, employed deranged killers in history.

So, should we draw from this that we should fear housed, employed people?

Perhaps.

To make life even scarier, over 75% of murder victims knew their assailants before being killed. Friends, lovers, family, work and business acquaintences ... all MURDERERS!

Perhaps we should fear people we know!

There are correlations!

Old 11-26-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Last week? I think you conflated two events. She was attacked in 2015 and her attacker was found incompetent to stand trial and was confined to a mental hospital until February of this year. In October he stabbed a police officer who Parrette seems to know. What's of interest here is her comments after she was attacked:

What seems to be missing from this conversation is that the severely mentally ill have been with us for as long as recorded history, whether or not they are homeless seems to make little difference when they resort to violence. My great aunt was mentally ill, this was a very long time ago long before I was born, but one day after her husband went to work she ran water in the tub and methodically drowned her four children aged 1 month to four years. One at a time she put each in the tub and held them down until they died, took them out of the tub and fetched the next and repeated that until all four were dead.
I was giving 2 different examples. pauley and a girl that went my hs that was stabbed last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles